Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:44 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,641,451 times

Advertisements

As late as early 2005 (before Iraq really started to wreck GWB's poll numbers), he was considered a credible possibility for a republican presidential candidate in 2008. As a popular, Spanish-speaking Republican governor of a swing state like Florida, he looked excellent on paper.

This started to fall apart after the Terry Schiavo case, where he was seen as pandering to religious extremists during a very sensitive and divisive family affair. This suddenly polarized his previously moderate image.

Then, of course, his brother - putting a third Bush into office really would mean that the office of the president was passed by dynastic succession, regardless of Jeb's other qualifications. That would be tough enough to surmount even if his brother had been as popular as Clinton or Reagan.

Instead, his brother is a political toxin who poisoned his own brother's well, as it were.

It's strange - Jeb was always considered an earnest, intelligent worker - the smarter of the George/Jeb pair - the taller one, and the better public speaker. The obvious successor to his father's legacy. But history didn't work out that way for him.

Being governor of Florida is a hell of an accomplishment in and of itself. But given his family history, I can't help but wonder if he wants more than that.

Is there a chance that Jeb will come surging back in some future presidential election as a credible candidate, or was that dream demolished for good by his own brother?

Last edited by tablemtn; 10-08-2007 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 10:46 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,020 times
Who cares about Jeb Bush? He's a complete lame-o stuffed-shirt Repub lightweight who's been trading on the Bush name, just like his brother did all the way to the White House, and look where the nation is today. What a complete waste of space.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,634,279 times
I think he could manage to gain some support, but never enough to get elected, and IMO, he could not even get the GOP nomination. His supporters would be either current Bush supporters (not a lot of those left) or people who thought he did a good job in FL (not a lot of those either).

So overall, I'd say he has very little chance. But we have seen the power of the people behind the scenes in launching Bush2 and Hillary to the front of the candidacy when they really haven't earned it. Its all political puppeteering from both sides, so I would never completely rule out someone who has the support of the puppet masters.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,192,341 times
It seems Mario Cuomo missed out on a run for the bully pulpit, also. He hesitated while Bill Clinton dared to move ahead. That's how things shake out sometimes.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:27 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Not impossible, but highly unlikely as well as highly undesirable.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:46 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,892,313 times
Default Jeb Bush

I thought he would run but since his brother was so lousy he doesn't have the nerve I think. Anyway, I don't think the American people could stomach the name Bush anymore after what we've been through! However, I am never suprised by the Bushs'. They probably are meeting right now with the multinationals in New York to find someone who could defeat Hillary. They know that Rudy & Fred aren't going to do it this time. If they feel no republican can win in '08, they will probably wait until 2012 to field a good
candidate. 2008 looks like its in the bag for the dems.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:50 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,470,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Not impossible, but highly unlikely as well as highly undesirable.
Agreed! No Jeb Bush!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,496,565 times
Any person that would consider voting another Bush in office deserves nothing less than a firing squad.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Any person that would consider voting another Bush in office deserves nothing less than a firing squad.
Unless the Democratic candidate opponent is Hillary.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 AM

211 posts, read 985,545 times
I thought Bushy Jr, had no shot in 04, yet he was announced the winner, I understand there was some funny business going on in Ohio and Florida, but enough people voted for him to make him the winner anyway

If Jeb runs, it wouldnt surprise me if he "wins" after Bushy Jr was announced President again in 2004 nothing will surprise me

And sadly I have a feeling a Repugnant will once again win the White House in 08
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies