Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,413,230 times

Advertisements

Awlaki family files suit against US government over drone strikes | Fox News
This is the family of US citizens who were targeted in a drone attack because they were Muslim terrorist. The family and the ACLU contend this was an illegal execution of Us citizens without due process under the US constitution and our nation's laws.

I'm torn. On the one hand I see the illegality of the action of executing them. On the other hand, good riddance to bad rubbish. Though I believe some of the family members may be terrorist supporters, they are following the legal path to restitution. Could this case help, hurt, or not effect his re-election? If the court rules in his favor, it shows him to be tough on terrorism but may cost him some supporters. If he loses, it could damage his policy and his re-election. Trying to distance himself from the lawsuit won't work because he made press conferences about the attacks. It may be his people being sued, but it's Obama's policy that will be decided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,927,707 times
I've defended the legality of Administrations case for killing anyone deemed an unlawful enemy combatant on several threads so I don't see a reason to repeat them here other than to say that I will bet a great deal of virtual money that this case never goes to trial, for the same reason that previous attempts to enjoin the administration's action in this affair failed.

As for the suits impact on the election, if that is the basis for discussion, why isn't this posted in the elections forum?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Last edited by ovcatto; 07-18-2012 at 11:10 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 10:33 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,773,809 times
This science fiction style of killing from the air by an un-manned machine has a lot to be desired- intelligence is fleeting and the ratio of murder and legitimate killing of dangerous people ...weighs hard towards common murder. Technology and a geek on a joy stick is not the things that harsh justice is made of. The toy factor still overly fascinates the user of the weapon- It is dehumanizing and akin to a video game...mindless abuse of this technology will increase not decrease- Just because you have the technology does not mean you have to use it- I would say that for every bad guy that is dispatched into oblivion- there are ten innocent people that follow- these are not good numbers...I hope these people win the suit....just out of spite for machines used by lazy assassins,.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,927,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
This science fiction style of killing from the air by an un-manned machine has a lot to be desired- intelligence is fleeting and the ratio of murder and legitimate killing of dangerous people ...weighs hard towards common murder.
As opposed to what, a 1,000lbs bomb??

Quote:
Technology and a geek on a joy stick is not the things that harsh justice is made of.
Yes a mono-a-mano gunfight between the man in the white hat would be far more stylized, but the guy in the black hat is no less dead.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 AM

79,903 posts, read 43,920,461 times
I wish them luck but I doubt it will go anywhere.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,150,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Awlaki family files suit against US government over drone strikes | Fox News
This is the family of US citizens who were targeted in a drone attack because they were Muslim terrorist. The family and the ACLU contend this was an illegal execution of Us citizens without due process under the US constitution and our nation's laws.

I'm torn. On the one hand I see the illegality of the action of executing them. On the other hand, good riddance to bad rubbish. Though I believe some of the family members may be terrorist supporters, they are following the legal path to restitution. Could this case help, hurt, or not effect his re-election? If the court rules in his favor, it shows him to be tough on terrorism but may cost him some supporters. If he loses, it could damage his policy and his re-election. Trying to distance himself from the lawsuit won't work because he made press conferences about the attacks. It may be his people being sued, but it's Obama's policy that will be decided.
I have always said, that while I am glad this terrorist is dead, I would have wanted this done LEGALLY.

The fact that we don't like something someone has done, is not carte blanche to do whatever we want.

Let's look at it in a different light. Let's says an American citizen kills off your entire family, and then flees overseas. Does that give you the legal right to go overseas, hunt them down, and simply shoot them on foreign soil? While I would agree with you on a moral standpoint, legally, you would be in the wrong.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,376,973 times
If it makes it to the supreme court, they are all about the law and due process.

There is a reason that the supreme court said it was illegal to print or imply, WANTED: dead or alive advertising.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,224,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Yes a mono-a-mano gunfight between the man in the white hat would be far more stylized, but the guy in the black hat is no less dead.
To borrow from a neo-progressive's soundbite in topics like UHC: "what if it was your wife, daughter or son who was over there and was a victim of this attack?"

Do you not believe in social justice for the murderers of these people? Isn't that what Obama is all about?

I guess it's ok though. They were probably conservatives anyway, right?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 AM

68,282 posts, read 54,070,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
This science fiction style of killing from the air by an un-manned machine has a lot to be desired- intelligence is fleeting and the ratio of murder and legitimate killing of dangerous people ...weighs hard towards common murder.

This is different HOW than say a B-52 dropping a load of 'dumb' bombs?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 AM

45,026 posts, read 26,183,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

How much do you suppose a drone weighs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies