Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

Something that makes sense -- finally

Congress May Choose To Leap Off The Fiscal Cliff To Reset The Budget Debate - Forbes

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-last-word/48235673

Last edited by florida.bob; 07-19-2012 at 12:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 04:46 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
The combo of automatic spending cuts and letting the Bush tax cuts expire would half the deficit in one year. I say do it even though it will hurt the economy to both cut spending and let tax cuts expire. The tax cuts had expiration dates on them for a reason and it's just pandering to try to make them permanent.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The combo of automatic spending cuts and letting the Bush tax cuts expire would half the deficit in one year. I say do it even though it will hurt the economy to both cut spending and let tax cuts expire. The tax cuts had expiration dates on them for a reason and it's just pandering to try to make them permanent.
I tend to agree, but I wouldn't be as impacted by the raising of tax rates as those that earn much less. I would say, following the end of the Bush tax cuts with a tax cut bill for people earning less than $100k may be good.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:08 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Leave it to Democrats to lie about the budget and tax cuts that are actually tax hikes. AND throw the country into recession. AND increase unemployment.

The best thing for America will be for Republicans to retain the House and take back the Senate and the White House.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:11 AM

37,199 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Leave it to Democrats to lie about the budget and tax cuts that are actually tax hikes. AND throw the country into recession. AND increase unemployment.

The best thing for America will be for Republicans to retain the House and take back the Senate and the White House.
That snowball was already rolling down the mountain before Bush left office.

It's not called the "Bush Recession" for no reason.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I agree that they should do nothing. I disagree that it's going to harm the economy also. I get tired of articles like this where the author seems to believe that everyone else is gullible and have no idea what the deal is.

Say you are a politician who favors a top tax rate of, say, 37 percent. If Congress extends the 2012 rules and keeps the top rate at 35 percent, you would be raising taxes—a tough sell. But if Congress lets rates rise to 39.6 percent, your 37 percent rate looks like a tax cut.

Either way they have less money than the year before so they know it was a tax increase. Anyone hit at this higher level knows what is going on.

Actually doing something to address the debt will have a major positive impact on the economy in the long run. Now if we can only get the government to enforce it's regualtions to keep the banks from mucking things up again, we might get somewhere.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:17 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
That snowball was already rolling down the mountain before Bush left office.

It's not called the "Bush Recession" for no reason.
You DID NOT just play the blame bush card
Give me a flippin break

Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 AM

8,066 posts, read 12,779,194 times
All politics aside this is simple math. We have two options:

1) Continue to kick the can down the road until we are FORCED to make cuts via the capital markets. (ie- the cost of borrowing would skyrocket)

2) Cut spending, increase taxes or some combination of the two.

Option number two will cause a 20 to 30% drop in GDP any way you go about it. The United States would suffer a deflationary depression and it would make 2008 look like a walk in the park.

THIS is why the leadership has been playing "extend and pretend" for so long. They KNOW it won't do anything but delay the inevitable.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:30 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Thats fine. No more than is deserved by the stupid south that always votes against their own best interest.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:35 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I agree that they should do nothing. I disagree that it's going to harm the economy also. I get tired of articles like this where the author seems to believe that everyone else is gullible and have no idea what the deal is.

Say you are a politician who favors a top tax rate of, say, 37 percent. If Congress extends the 2012 rules and keeps the top rate at 35 percent, you would be raising taxes—a tough sell. But if Congress lets rates rise to 39.6 percent, your 37 percent rate looks like a tax cut.

Either way they have less money than the year before so they know it was a tax increase. Anyone hit at this higher level knows what is going on.

Actually doing something to address the debt will have a major positive impact on the economy in the long run. Now if we can only get the government to enforce it's regualtions to keep the banks from mucking things up again, we might get somewhere.
Government practically forced banks to hand out loans to people who would not be able to pay them back.

Four more years of Obama will increase debt to new heights. This article is about a dumb idea coming from dumb Democrats and should never be considered.

Obama put together a super committee and then ignored their solutions. Also, the sequester can be retroactively taken off the table if the Republicans keep the House and win back the Senate and the White House.

Along with repealing Obamacare. Then the economy will be heading in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies