Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 06:33 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Combat experience is different than sitting in a movie theater during an action movie. In combat you are expecting the worst. In a movie theater you are sitting around, relaxed, watching a movie. He could have been eating popcorn, had greasy fingers and dropped his gun. He could have been making out with his girlfriend or wife or boyfriend (who knows) at the time and not been paying attention.

You don't know what you are going to do in any situation. You can guess, you can speculate but you never truly know. Again, he could have been the first person shot, his own gun could have been shot, it could have jammed or a thousand other possibilities.

When people go through combat training it is for specific scenarios or for certain terrain and environments. I doubt any of the training this anonymous forum poster involved a movie theater, tear gas, semi-automatic weapons and hundreds of people running around screaming like crazy trying to escape the theater.
I agree that it would have taken a very level headed, able to stay relatively calm person to even think of getting a shot off, then what are the chances of that person being present, let alone armed and having a clear shot. It would have been a lucky chance for that scenario to play out. It takes intense training with the proper equipment to pull it off, even military personnel trained in this situation, would be ill equipped, even if armed, to handle this situation. The only chance I can see, is if someone who was armed was hiding behind some seats, very close to the shooter and could get a shot off to the head. Again, what are the chances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
A lot of news is going to come out that's going to dispell the myth that he was an invincible terminator cyborg sent from the future to destroy mankind.

He didn't have armor (tac-vest)
He didn't have tear gas (smoke grenade)
He had a cheap milsurp gasmask that fogs up like h*ll
His gun jammed (dummy used jam-prone drum mags)
etc.
It is a moot point, no one knew this at the time.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 AM

377 posts, read 575,896 times
Default Books Instead of Bullets

My concern is those six students and their university monitors and medical neurology. The most bizarre kind of university project I've ever heard of. What's going on behind closed university doors with federal grants?

Why isn't NRA looking into this?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
He looks pretty deranged to me. He's got that crazy look in his eyes.

You can be intelligent and crazy. Many smart people were crazy, look at John Nash.
I think they had him on drugs that made him look tranquilized.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:46 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I disagree.

WHY is he "evil"?

WHY did he want to do something to make himself infamous?

These are important questions.
Who cares? Why do we need to study the psyche of this guy? It does not do anything to prevent this type of stuff from happening. It is all some weird zoo-like exhibition. I don't care if he's crazy or not. He's a violent/murderous type of crazy and he is of no benefit to society.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Who cares? Why do we need to study the psyche of this guy? It does not do anything to prevent this type of stuff from happening. It is all some weird zoo-like exhibition. I don't care if he's crazy or not. He's a violent/murderous type of crazy and he is of no benefit to society.
Agree 100%, and when he is convicted, then kill him, I don't want to see anyone who commits this type of crime, alive so that we tax payers can give him 3 meals a day and rights to read books, play on the computer, etc. and yes, he is a menace to society...and yanno what, this business of his lawyers trying to prove him mentally ill? I don't care, and enough is enough, if your mentally ill and you commit this type of henous act, you shouldn't be exempt from any death penalty b/c your mentally ill, period. and, I don't want to see him on death row for 80 years either, lets get down to business and make our laws more repsected and carried out. Build more prisions, and get these people off the streets.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Exactly. The only ones that want to drag this out for eternity is the media and our court/prison system.
He really is no different than a rabid dog. Have a quick trial and put the piece of excrement to death.

No need to waste tax dollars on him - use that money in a productive way to help the families of the
victims who have been traumatized.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times
Default Who thinks the Joker is bright enough (insanity plea) to dodge the death penalty?

I think he was acting during his first hearing. He might just do it.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,071 times
The gun toters are going to hate me for saying this but if that sheltered, malnourished lunatic had to buy his arsenal from the criminal element, there's a good chance he'd have been robbed and dumped in a garbage drum.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Because studying and understanding people like this leads to a better society. It helps law enforcement to understand how people like this tick, it helps the medical community to understand what leads people down this path, it helps society as a whole when we can understand and attempt to prevent things like this.

Can we 100% prevent this stuff? Probably not. But studying and understanding why one person goes off the wall and kills innocent people in a movie theater while another person does not advances our understanding of how the human brain works. Why wouldn't you support that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies