Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,557 times

Advertisements

Hollywood and the mass-media really need to be held accountable for their endless promotion of the most grotesque violence. There are nearly endless movies where characters use every type of weapon but mostly "guns" on the screen in nearly endless horrid violence. Too many young impressionable and weak minds are way too easily influenced by all this so-called "entertainment" and "free-speech".
There really needs to be better and tighter standards on what gets put out.
Hollywood is literally creating a situation where someone yells "fire" in a crowded theater and we all are at great risk for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 09:00 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post

Hollywood and the mass-media really need to be held accountable for their endless promotion of the most grotesque violence. There are nearly endless movies where characters use every type of weapon but mostly "guns" on the screen in nearly endless horrid violence. Too many young impressionable and weak minds are way too easily influenced by all this so-called "entertainment" and "free-speech".
Hollywood is literally creating a situation where someone yells "fire" in a crowded theater and we all are at great risk for it.
No....There's been violence way before the invention of film. Lay the blame on the whacko who pulled the trigger.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
No....There's been violence way before the invention of film. Lay the blame on the whacko who pulled the trigger.
So why continue to have more violence and have the culture makers in Hollywood continue to encourage and re-enforce it? What is the point of that?

At night I can surf through the channels- every second program or film----murder----more murder- guns- more blood- flick through a few more channel - and more- murder - same old script-more police tape---more woman being sexy killing people with a gun- More men being manly firing slugs into the chest of some supposed bad guy ....I worked in the movie business doing small parts..I was always the arresting detective ...some times I would go from one production to the next and then to the next in the same day- and repeat the same action- It was as if it was one huge bad script.

Hollywood has not talent.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You said "come on and convict the scum " which indicates you want a fast sham trial for quick, dirty justice.

Thank God I don't live in a country that does that.

I don't like the endless appeals, the show trials, etc. But better that then sham trials with guilt not proven.
To quote an old Texas lawman, "We don't just hang people in Texas. We give them a trial and then we hang them."

Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
So why continue to have more violence and have the culture makers in Hollywood continue to encourage and re-enforce it? What is the point of that?

At night I can surf through the channels- every second program or film----murder----more murder- guns- more blood- flick through a few more channel - and more- murder - same old script-more police tape---more woman being sexy killing people with a gun- More men being manly firing slugs into the chest of some supposed bad guy ....I worked in the movie business doing small parts..I was always the arresting detective ...some times I would go from one production to the next and then to the next in the same day- and repeat the same action- It was as if it was one huge bad script.

Hollywood has not talent.
That's odd, because when I channel surf (which is not very often), I see 400 channels of incessant commericals, this despite the fact that I am already paying for the programming.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post

Surely you must admit that the wide availability of weapons and ammunition play their part in the level of violence we see.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:47 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,779 times
Having multiple armed people to "take down" a shooter has got to be the stupidest claim ever. If you're sitting 3 rows behind the guy who stands up and shoots and you shoot him, what's to prevent the guy three seats beyond you from shooting you because he thinks you're one of multiple assailants? Guns = violence. More guns = more violence. Nobody should carry around a handgun, let alone a LOADED handgun unless they are bona fide law enforcement. (Not self-appointed law enforcement.) And those of you spouting your second amendment rights: just face yourself in the mirror and admit the ONLY reason you own a handgun is because you intend to shoot another human being some day.

Why do normal citizens need Assault Rifles in order to defend themselves? I am all for people being able to buy hand guns with limited capability and capacity in order to protect them selves.

However, I have never heard the word Assault Rifle and self defense in the same sentence. AR's are designed for one thing, to kill as many people as fast as possible. Weapons capable of firing hundreds of rounds per minute each capable of piercing through multiple targets do not need to be made available to regular citizens.

Even if there had been a brave soul carrying a hand gun, I doubt they would have stood much of a chance against a man with an AR. Regular citizens being able to buy military grade weapons is insane.

The movie had nothing to do with what he did. He could have just as easily gone into a movie theater full of little kids like at a screening of "Brave".

Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
I don't see how anyone cannot lay the blame of the extent of the killed and injured, squarely on the NRA.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:20 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post

I am beginning to believe this, I as a kid never witnessed the level of violence that there is today, you just didn't see it. I watched a lot of "wholesome family" stuff as a kid and don't remember any blood and guts stuff, in fact they never showed any blood when someone got shot. Maybe we should go back to this.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I am beginning to believe this, I as a kid never witnessed the level of violence that there is today, you just didn't see it. I watched a lot of "wholesome family" stuff as a kid and don't remember any blood and guts stuff, in fact they never showed any blood when someone got shot. Maybe we should go back to this.
We are like the Roman people who had to be titillated with more and more violence as their tastes became jaded. Even feeding people to lions was not to much in the end. God help us.

Last edited by Bideshi; 07-25-2012 at 06:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies