Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 02:28 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
One of the most ignorant statements I've ever read.

At some point you have to recognize that people are responsible for their own actions. The NAACP represents black rights and causes. They must be responsible for the killings in the 'hood and black poverty?

Stop. Think. Quit playing partisan games.
Erm, the NRA is a partisan organization?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 02:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Can't blame Warner Brothers for this one, the blame sits squarely on the shoulders of the U of Colorado Mail Room.
The CU Mail Room indeed! July 12Th. The shooting could have been stopped!! Did the person to whom the mail was addressed at least have a secretary to open the mail? WHY did the pkg. not make it out of the mail room to the addressee? Does anyone know that information yet?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:57 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The CU Mail Room indeed! July 12Th. The shooting could have been stopped!! Did the person to whom the mail was addressed at least have a secretary to open the mail? WHY did the pkg. not make it out of the mail room to the addressee? Does anyone know that information yet?
the cops themselves had to get two warrants in order to open it: one to search the mail room and one to open the package.

Quote:
In response to reporters' queries about the package, the Anschutz Medical Campus issued a statement saying it could not comment on anything regarding the ongoing criminal investigation into the theater shooting, under order of Arapahoe County District Judget William Sylvester.

The statement did provide general information about how mail is handled on campus.

"The University centrally receives mail from the United States Postal Service. The University then delivers the mail to the address on the Anschutz Medical Campus the same day it is received," the statement said. "The University's mail service is not open on Saturday. Saturday mail is sorted and delivered Monday morning. The University does not log or track mail/packages unless it requires a signature from the United States Postal Service."
Source: Tip from accused Aurora shooter leads FBI to package - U.S. News

Old 07-25-2012, 03:08 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Maybe because it's summer and they are understaffed. Maybe the professor was out of town and did not come around to collect his mail. Maybe the package got misfiled into someone else's mail slot and it just got redirected to the correct one. There could be a dozen perfectly valid reasons. A couple of professors I know don't collect their mail in the summers more than once or twice a month because they aren't on campus when they're not teaching. I personally believe that Holmes knew full well the notebook wouldn't reach the professor in time to stop him from carrying out his plan. He planned everything else down to the smallest detail, why would he screw up with the timing of mailing this notebook? He didn't want to get caught. He wanted to make sure he got credit for it if he didn't live through it thus the notebook.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 07-25-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Maybe because it's summer and they are understaffed. Maybe the professor was out of town and did not come around to collect his mail. Maybe the package got misfiled into someone else's mail slot and it just got redirected to the correct one. There could be a dozen perfectly valid reasons. A couple of professors I know don't collect their mail in the summers more than once or twice a month because they aren't on campus when they're not teaching. I personally believe that Holmes knew full well the notebook wouldn't reach the professor in time to stop him from carrying out his plan. He planned everything else down to the smallest detail, why would he screw up with the timing of mailing this notebook? He didn't want to get caught. He wanted to make sure he got credit for it if he didn't live through it thus the notebook.
I read that the professor is a psychiatrist. I don't think it would be unreasonable to have staff support or sectys CHECK THE MAIL for professors during the summer when they are not on campus. Just because a prof is away for the summer, does not mean the department shuts down. Full time department employees are still working throughout the summer. What if there had been that kind of procedure in place in this instance? Lives would have been saved.

The shooter made no attempts to get away or to kill himself. There's no question he gets "credit" for it. Not necessary to send off written description of what he planned to do in order to get "credit." PERHAPS, just PERHAPS, sending the journal off was MAYBE a "cry for help" or a way for whatever sanity he still had to stop himself??

Sorry. CU definitely bears some responsibility here. It is just unconscionable that that information was "out there" in that mail room PRIOR to the shootings, IMO. I'm wondering if Holmes knew this professor personally or had had sessions with him.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:57 PM

You're basing all your assumptions on hindsight, FancyFeast. I'm personally disgusted that anyone would try to place even 1% of the blame for Holmes' actions on a college mail room. What if the package had gotten lost or delayed in the USPS prior to arriving at the college, would you then be placing blame on the federal postal system? Holmes is 100% to blame for what happened.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 07-25-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
You're basing all your assumptions on hindsight, FancyFeast. I'm personally disgusted that anyone would try to place even 1% of the blame for Holmes' actions on a college mail room. What if the package had gotten lost or delayed in the USPS in system prior to arriving at the college, would you then be placing blame on the federal postal system?
Fine. Be personally disgusted.

The package didn't get lost or delayed in the USPS system. It was delivered to the CU mail room. WHAT is the procedure for delivering mail to the addressee from the mail room? I guess we will find out. How many days did it spend in the mail room prior to the shootings?

Again, just because a professor is "out" during the summer, doesn't mean that they don't receive important mail; the department and department employees are there and can easily check mail. The functions of the university do not stop simply because it's summer and professors take time off or are away.

Btw, I'm not excusing Holmes from responsibility for these murders. He pulled the trigger. He killed those people. He will be held accountable. I'm saying that IF there had been just a bit of efficiency on the part of the CU mail room, it's possible that those murders could have been prevented and all of those people would most likely still be alive today. It was a missed opportunity for CU. And I personally find it tragic that they missed that opportunity.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Fine. Be personally disgusted.

The package didn't get lost or delayed in the USPS system. It was delivered to the CU mail room. WHAT is the procedure for delivering mail to the addressee from the mail room? I guess we will find out. How many days did it spend in the mail room prior to the shootings?

Again, just because a professor is "out" during the summer, doesn't mean that they don't receive important mail; the department and department employees are there and can easily check mail. The functions of the university do not stop simply because it's summer and professors take time off or are away.

Btw, I'm not excusing Holmes from responsibility for these murders. He pulled the trigger. He killed those people. He will be held accountable. I'm saying that IF there had been just a bit of efficiency on the part of the CU mail room, it's possible that those murders could have been prevented and all of those people would most likely still be alive today. It was a missed opportunity for CU. And I personally find it tragic that they missed that opportunity.
Tell me, prior to the shootings how did they know the package from Holmes was an important piece of mail? Was it marked "from a madman, open immediately"? Do they have crystal balls in college mail rooms? Do you know what the average length of time mail sits in a college mail room in the summer months? I thought not. To me, having a package sit uncollected for a week (give or take a day) doesn't sound all that unreasonable. Again, I know two professors who only collect their mail twice a month in the summers and no one else on staff has the authority to open their mail in between those collection dates. Nothing time sensitive comes in when they aren't teaching.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:35 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Tell me, prior to the shootings how did they know the package from Holmes was an important piece of mail? Was it marked "from a madman, open immediately"? Do they have crystal balls in college mail rooms? Do you know what the average length of time mail sits in a college mail room in the summer months? I thought not. To me, having a package sit uncollected for a week (give or take a day) doesn't sound all that unreasonable. Again, I know two professors who only collect their mail twice a month in the summers and no one else on staff has the authority to open their mail in between those collection dates. Nothing time sensitive comes in when they aren't teaching.
I haven't seen any photos of the envelope.

If the mail was sitting because they are understaffed that's one issue, if it was sitting because of negligence that's entirely another.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
The guy is a certified fruit cake.

Fruit cake psycho-sociopaths are among us daily, they simply don't act out on their sick urges.

Don't blame the media, the gun makers, FedEX, Century Theatres, Red Hair Dye or anybody except the shooter for this tragedy.

Watching someone do heroin in a documentary about heroin doesn't make me wanna go out and find some heroin to take, the shooter wasn't stupid or gullible, or naive, he is Mentally Ill.

PERIOD.
Quote:
I haven't seen any photos of the envelope.

If the mail was sitting because they are understaffed that's one issue, if it was sitting because of negligence that's entirely another.
It's interesting how you were able to write in the first post about not blaming "the media, the gun makers, FedEX, Century Theatres, Red Hair Dye or anybody except the shooter for this tragedy." But now you're more than willing to blame a slow mail room at the college for not preventing this tragedy.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 07-25-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies