Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I agree with most of what you're saying, but the part about it being a racial thing to call the guy a "psycho" simply because he's white is off base. This wasn't a crime or gang related shooting--it was random. Sane people don't commit mass, random shootings just for the heck of it. Just like every other random, mass shooting in this country, regardless of the race of the shooter, I'll bet you anything that they're going to find out that this guy is really really mentally ill.
Well there is no evidence that he is a psycho in fact the circumstantial evidence points to someone very rational and intelligent.

He's a terrorist IMHO until something else comes out to dispel me from that view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:02 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The problem in many of these cases is that you do not know if the shooter has mental problems until after the event.
Being evil is not considered being a mental illness- Nor is GREED listed as a mental illness - even when it can destroy a whole nation.

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
No offense taken at all. Not sure if this guy really is mentally ill. There are just evil people in this world who do things just because they're....evil. Sad, but true.
Agree but he may not be "evil" either. He may view himself as some sort of freedom fighter, fighter for what we'll have to wait.

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The problem in many of these cases is that you do not know if the shooter has mental problems until after the event.
^ this

If there is a peer-reviewed method of objectively psychoanalyzing someone through a series of unbiased questions, it is possibly worth considering as an instrument. But again, you have to be very careful. People have been admitted involuntarily to mental institutions who are perfectly sane, and we want to be careful not to remove freedoms that exist because of the opinion of some bureaucrat.

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
shooting may be politically motivated. Breaking news! reporters have been looking into the background of shooter James Holmes and discovered a Jim Holmes of Aurora, CO page on a Tea Party website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
That person is 50 years old. It was ABC news misidentifying someone. I heard on the radio that at least 4 people in the town had the same name.
ABC should fire that reporter for such shoddy journalism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Stephanopoulous and ABC were already humiliated going down this route. What other media outfit wants to destroy themselves today?
since they attempted to implicate the tea party, all will be forgiven.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:03 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The more we are learning about this guy I'm not sure he is "crazy". I mean I guess it's possible for a PHd candidate in Nueroscience to be crazy but he'd have to be highly functional. He could simply be an ideologically driven terrorist.
I'm not saying that he's a paranoid schizophrenic, but the onset of that particular disease often isn't until the late teens/early 20s. It's very cruel, and it often hits really bright people. We have acquaintances who have a son who was good athlete, great student, and popular kid in high school who became sick in college. It's tragic. He's on mental health disability now, and his parents are frantic because he takes his meds, then thinks he doesn't need them and stops....then he disappears and they find him living under a bridge.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
I think right now is not the time to try and analyze this. But to pray for the victims, those who died, and the families, of this horror.
We should not speculate right now, until we know every detail that led to this unspeakable.

This young man lived in a very nice area of San Diego, very nice area.

And we need in heart to be with those who were there, to witness this horror, because they are having a hard time of it.

I have heard some speak, who walked over the dead, this is so very sad. Our hearts today, need to be with those people, and just try and understand.

To me without speculation, it appears this young man, seemed to know what he was doing.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:05 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
The major is an academic one, just as engineering and computer science. When you work towards and get a Ph.D. in one of these majors, you are considered by your peers to be an academic, whether or not you pursue a faculty/post-doc position.

Only J.D and M.D majors can even remotely be considered non-academic majors.
Sorry, but I know people who work outside of academia with Ph.D.s. They don't consider themselves to be academics, even though they publish. A friend with a humanities Ph.D. works for Rand. She doesn't consider herself an academic. A former boyfriend had a Ph.D. in biochemistry. When he worked in academia, he considered himself an academic. When he left academia, to work for a biotech firm he wasn't an academic, though he still did some academic-related work.

4,135 posts, read 2,838,713 times
Quote:
Cite to them objective psychological exam he took?
I never said he took one, his behavior set off bells long before he started shooting. Heck, his own college wouldn't let him re-enroll until he was cleared by a mental health professional. Yep, sure sounds sane to me.

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Think of it- The shooter was studying to be a doctor- People used to become doctors because they wanted to help and heal the afflicted- Now they become doctors for the MONEY...I can surely say that the shooter has proven that his stint in medical school was not about healing- When money is more important that life- we have a problem...I keep ranting the matra- Hollywood is to blame- I stick to that premise as far as what bad culture is and how it impacts society...If a Hollywood producer of film sits down and asks themselves this question- Will my next project harm America or will it help America..and if it harms but makes me a lot of money - does that matter? These leftists in Hollywood- love MONEY more than they love you...They don't care that after 20 years of bombarding the public with violence...if it generates a killer or two.

Look at Charlie Manson- Helter Skelter....The Beatles indirectly created this guy....but after all John Lennon said he was better than Jesus- as he sent money to arm the IRA...
What a load of BS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies