Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 01:10 PM

256 posts, read 479,318 times

Advertisements

SMH, why are there so many dumb people in this country that thinks its a good idea to give people guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 01:10 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
How is Hollywood responsible for this?

The blame belongs on the individual who committed this crime, Hollywood didn't pull that trigger, James Holmes did.
Just saying that people are quick to blame an inanimate object. I just figured it was fair to blame Hollywood or the inability to get a free education as well. Each seem equally plausible.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I can see the confusion. "Not be infringed" and "Well regulated" sort of contradict one another. Don't you think?
"Regulation" had a somewhat different meaning in this context in the 1780's then what we commonly use the word for today..

Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Clearly this guy had some mental issues. He might not be legally or criminally insane, but something bad has to be twirling around up there to concoct such a plot.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Now Mayor Bloomburg
I ignore anything after I hear that name. It prevents me from losing precious brain cells.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:12 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Frankly, I don't think this is the time or the thread to push a political agenda from either the right or the left. Gun control is a different thread for a different time. IMO there's too many issues and points of view concerning that issue to discuss in a mass killing thread just fresh out of the gate. But if you feel this is the time to turn this thread into a gun control thread, have at it.
This should be bolded, underlined, and stickied!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
SMH, why are there so many dumb people in this country that thinks its a good idea to give people guns?
Where are they giving out guns? I must not have gotten the memo or the invitation. Do tell!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I'm thinking plenty of folks in that theater wish they had an "extension" of their manhood last night.
But the "experts" told us that it wouldn't have made a difference. Best to believe these anonymous posters on the interwebz.

13,778 posts, read 9,656,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There are also people who have those guns with no background check.
Not really. And anyone who illegally has one of the afore mentioned "True assault weapons" has it buried really deep and never uses it or is in federal prison for posession. I can recall only two incidents in the past 25 years where illegal machineguns were used in a crime. Once in LA at a Bank robbery and once in florida. Both rifles illegally modified to provide full auto. The paperwork required to own a true assault weapon must be carried with the weapon at all times and is constantly checked at shooting ranges. In fact, whenever I use a machine gun at the range, I stop by the local police dept. and tell them I'll be using it at the range so if they get a call from a concerned citizen, they know not to respond. I cannot think of a single incident where a legal, documented owner of a machine gun has used one in the commission of a crime.

Once again, we are missing the big picture here. At this point in time, focusing on guns, gun laws or lack thereof is missing the point. We should be focusing on the tragedy of a deranged person slaughtering a multitude of people at a Batman Premier Movie. My biggest concern is for the victims still struggling to stay alive and the worry that there will be a copycat somewhere out there that will make their presence known at one of the other 1300 movie theaters showing Batman around the country.
If there are some who want to ban the estimated 300 million firearms in the nation......well....good luck with that.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I assume that you then would support the dismantling of your local law enforcement agency's arsenal?
I feel pretty confident of law enforcement personnel and their agencies ability to detect potential problems. It may not be perfect, but is certainly better than none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies