Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Most people under fire generally take cover and hug the ground. Ask me how I know. Guns work perfectly well in the prone position. I can't help feeling that if the shooter knew someone was shooting back at him it would have disrupted his attack and saved lives.
The next time you're in a crowded movie theatre, get down onto the floor and aim and fire your "weapon" toward the movie screen.

Modern movie theatres like the one in Aurora have "stadium" type seating. They're not on a flat, they're on an angle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Ok, guys. Honest question: Is there anybody in here that actually has experience in Law Enforcement or has actual combat experience?
Just about anyone you'd ask would've had the same amount or greater than the shooter.

Quote:
I would like to hear thier take on the situation and how regular ccw holders would most likely react to this situation.
I'm curious to hear also, but I'm guessing that ex-mil would (humbly) speak about their ability to be calm and dutiful in such a situation.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Modern movie theatres like the one in Aurora have "stadium" type seating. They're not on a flat, they're on an angle.
Good point. The CCWer has the high ground and concealment with the seating.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:54 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Just about anyone you'd ask would've had the same amount or greater than the shooter.

I'm curious to hear also, but I'm guessing that ex-mil would (humbly) speak about their ability to be calm and dutiful in such a situation.
So, I take it that you have no experience what so ever.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
So, I take it that you have no experience what so ever.
My ex-marine friend will have your answer shortly. Just posed it to him. I will post the FB screenshot unaltered (with identities stripped of course)

Old 07-20-2012, 02:58 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Is there any proof that at least some people inside the theater weren't armed? It seems likely that some were; concealed carry is very common across Colorado.

But in a situation like that, most people are going to be in a state of confusion, and the natural reaction will not be to stand up in the line of fire to try and figure out:

A. Where the shooter is located

B. Whether it is possible to shoot at the shooter without wounding or killing people with your own deadly crossfire

These things aren't easy even for professionals, as we can see from military and LEO friendly-fire incidents.
Aurora is the gang capitol of Colorado, it is a safe assumption someone inside was armed.
In addition to your comments:
C) In the chaos, you would not know how many shooters were there
D) Would not have been able to tell how heavily armed and armored the shooter was.
E) In hindsight, you would have been vastly under armed
F) As soon as you start shooting, you draw fire to you and those near you, maybe family or friends.

Lots of intenet tough guys claiming they would have "drawn their piece and blown the shooter away",
but reality doesn't work that way.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:58 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Good point. The CCWer has the high ground and concealment with the seating.
What. If. Could. Should.

What the F does it matter?

Christ.

The guns-at-any-cost people disgust me. I wish you'd all move to an island somewhere so you could eventually blow each other away.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
What. If. Could. Should.

What the F does it matter?

Christ.

The guns-at-any-cost people disgust me. I wish you'd all move to an island somewhere so you could eventually blow each other away.
You can move to the two islands of Chicago or DC. Neither allow concealed carry. Safe places I might add.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times
I don't think everyone being armed is a good idea. I don't have a gun, plan to soon, but I am trained in Hand to hand, close quarters combat, Aikido, Krav Maga, Bojuka and am learning Chun *** Do. I am proficient with a knife, sword, bow, and baton and a few other melee weapons. I am getting better at knife throwing as well. I carry two to three knives wherever I go. My fiance has pepper spray and I sometimes wear my baton under a shirt or in a holster I made to be concealed near the small of my back. Everyone has the right to defend themselves against any would be attacker. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

I am all for gun control laws, I don't think it is a right of every American to own or use a gun and anyone who thinks it is their god given right to own a gun needs a brain check. I don't want some hillbilly idiot who has to wear Velcro shoes to own or even have access to a gun. However, I don't have anything against someone who can pass an IQ test and gun safety/training class carrying a concealed weapon and or just owning a gun.

I think people are foolish to think that if you get rid of guns or limit who can own them that it will lower the amount of idiots who go out on a shooting spree. If they want a gun, they will find one or they will find some-other way to kill people.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Can you point out where that same document it says a semi auto rifle is a right?
after you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies