Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 01:43 PM

221 posts, read 282,929 times

Advertisements

It's the same reason some parents take their kids to fancy restaurants or any restaurants after 8 PM, why they drag them around all day shopping for unnecessary carp until the kid is exhausted, why they take them to night-time kid unfriendly venues where adults are drinking alcohol, go do any kind of event when the kid should be sleeping. They wanted to have kids but didn't want their lives to change. They expect The Village to cope when their kids have meltdowns, and never say a thing to them and not even dare give them a dirty look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 01:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
I rarely go into those places, estimating maybe twice, since and including once in 2005. I can imagine a movie theater being any more sanitary than a public toilet in a bus station. The only difference is you can eat your popcorn while sitting on that toilet.

Just because you and your parents and their parents have been trained to be entertained there doesn't make them any better.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:45 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I wouldn't even say that. I don't pretend to know the reasons why people do things. When my son was that age we went out late because I was in school and then worked into the evening and he worked late night early into the morning. It was rare we were off at the same time and for us daytime movies were out because he would want to play.
I never saw us taking my son with us as a selfish act. And I certainly never sat around thinking what others would think.

There were several times after the movie was over people who tell us they didn't even know he was there (cause they'd see us with the carrier) but I don't think I ever got judgment from anyone. At least not to my face.

Now personally I wouldn't have done Batman midnight showing just because of the crowds...too many people. But if were in the same position again, i'd take my son to a movies starting @ 9 without hesitation.
Starting at 9pm is one thing.

Starting after midnight when you won't be home until 3am is another. All to see a damn movie. I'm sorry, but what these parents did was stupid. I'm not going to indict them as bad parents because I don't know them and nobody is perfect, but I do question their choice as I think they were being selfish.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I wouldn't even say that. I don't pretend to know the reasons why people do things. When my son was that age we went out late because I was in school and then worked into the evening and he worked late night early into the morning. It was rare we were off at the same time and for us daytime movies were out because he would want to play.
I never saw us taking my son with us as a selfish act. And I certainly never sat around thinking what others would think.
I could figure that out pretty early in your conversation. Maybe you should have.

Quote:
There were several times after the movie was over people who tell us they didn't even know he was there (cause they'd see us with the carrier) but I don't think I ever got judgment from anyone. At least not to my face.

Now personally I wouldn't have done Batman midnight showing just because of the crowds...too many people. But if were in the same position again, i'd take my son to a movies starting @ 9 without hesitation.
Oh I believe that you would.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudegubmintworker View Post
It's the same reason some parents take their kids to fancy restaurants or any restaurants after 8 PM, why they drag them around all day shopping for unnecessary carp until the kid is exhausted, why they take them to night-time kid unfriendly venues where adults are drinking alcohol, go do any kind of event when the kid should be sleeping. They wanted to have kids but didn't want their lives to change. They expect The Village to cope when their kids have meltdowns, and never say a thing to them and not even dare give them a dirty look.
Those parents are the same ones who go workout after work and then head home around 7pm and finally see their kids. They put themselves before their kids and it's pretty pathetic.

Of course, now I'm getting off topic.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:50 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Top dollar? Hardly. A movie ticket, at most, is about $12.
where? Not here in LA

Try $16 - $25 depending on the theater you go to these days. IMAX forget it. Most start at $15. Friday and Saturday nights, they jump to $18 and some dedicated theaters for IMAX it's $20 for an opening weekend movie; suffice the the dedicated IMAX is assigned seating, but many theaters do not have this.

The only time I've seen a movie under the $10 price is small artsy fartsy theaters that stink to high heaven, or when they are Matinees and are shown before 12 pm (meaning only 1 or 2 shows). this also means, there is a higher chance that there are more children attending as well (which is one reason some avoid going to matinees).

Old 07-20-2012, 01:51 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
People who bring their kids to theaters probably don't have anyone to watch the kid or can't afford to but still would like to see the movie. Why else would they? But baby or not you shouldn't have to worry about someone shooting your kid at a movie theater

Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, that top dollar to me in $12.00 and is a lot to me, when you figure your looking to have a great entertaining night out, with a buttered popcorn and soda. A 20.00 movie is a lot of money to me...

For a movie that we saw not too long ago (forget which), our tickets came up to $75 for five people (3 adults 2 children). Plus snacks which were $30. That's $105 that we spent just on 1 movie.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:05 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
it might be too soon....

just saying...
Agreed

Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
imo. Small children...less than 13, should not see such a violent movie at any time. Small children should be in bed after 10 p.m. at night and not at a movie theater. Parents should only take children to movies that are appropriate for the child's age group and where other people in the theater will not be bothered.

IMO the parents who allowed their small children to go the 12 p.m. Batman movie were not only inconsiderate parents, but parents with poor decision making skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies