Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
At midnight? Whatever happened with parents having a little common sense and putting their children's needs before their need to be the first to see a movie? Whatever happened to renting movies and watching them at home if you can't find a babysitter?
LOL surely you jest. In this immediate gratification culture we have today such notions of yours come off as down right quaint.

I watched Dark Night yesterday good movie but it's 3 hrs long. I question the wisdom of parents who would submit their small children to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:24 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Sorry, what?
Ball games are not venues for children?

People really have gone off the deep end.
No, they haven't gone off the deep end....Tiger, when I was young going to a ball game was a great experience....but today, would I take a child, and we've had this conversation at work, it is a crying shame that some people who go to those games are unable to conduct themselves in an adult manner. I think they should outlaw tail gating parties for that very reason. some people do not want to take the chance of exposing their child to the horrid swearing, fights and drunkedness that goes on. It wasn't like that when I was a child, people then, respected the space of others, and wouldn't have acted so selfishly in front of a kid.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:28 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Unfortunately, some when they are young parents don't see any danger, and why should they, who would expect a shooter to come into a movie you were attending? It could have happened to anyone....I watched a young couple on TV, probably the same ones that you saw, and cried with them...it is not they're fault, it is the shooters fault, and unfortunately, if they hadn't made the choice to go, it wouldn't have happened. But it did, and sadly so...they have hopefully learned a hard lesson, they are lucky to have they're child home alive with them....however, that little girl wasn't so lucky, and the parents will sadly have to live with this the rest of they're days....it's not they're fault. My son could have been there, as he was stationed at an Air Force Base out there, there are just some horrible henous things that cannot be helped.

Take for instance the 10 year old in Philly who was sexually abducted on the street in front of her 2 or 3 year old brother. Who would allow a 10 year old to walk down the street with a little child like that? If something would ever happen to that child, the 10 year old would forever blame herself. And that is one reason why, I rarely had a baby sitter. Unfortunately Bad things happen....but, for me, I wouldn't take my baby to a theater...
I don't know if this was handled up thread but I read where some man "lost" track of his 4 month old in the theater. He just left the theater without his his son. I mean I'm not sure how one loses track of an immobile 4 month old but I guess it's possible if one is selfishly fleeing for their life.

The Times Herald - Young family survives Aurora theater shooting
Quote:
Jamie Rohrs can’t recall the exact moment he lost his son — how 4-month-old Ethan went from resting in his arms to lying alone on the theater stairs as smoke, gunfire and screaming were all around.

His young family, new to Colorado, had decided to attend the midnight screening of “The Dark Knight Rises” just hours before. All wore Batman T-shirts — 25-year-old Rohrs; his fiancée, Patricia Legarreta; her 4-year-old daughter, Azariah; and baby Ethan. When a man with a gas mask and guns entered theater No. 9 and started shooting, Rohrs and Legarreta had to decide in a matter of moments how to best save themselves and their children. “You’re just thinking, ‘Am I in adream?’” Rohrs said. “‘Am I in a nightmare?’ There are flashes. Everything is so loud. I am thinking, ‘Is this the day I die? Will this be the bullet that kills me?’”
I'm not sure why this father is admitting to this cowardice or am I being too harsh? The comments below the story are funny too evidently a black teenager saved his family and took a bullet as the guy drove off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFZ7C5-h_m4

Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
LOL surely you jest. In this immediate gratification culture we have today such notions of yours come off as down right quaint.

I watched Dark Night yesterday good movie but it's 3 hrs long. I question the wisdom of parents who would submit their small children to that.
That 3 hours is another reason to just rent the movie -- I would never expect a 6 month old or 2 month old or even 2 year old to sit quietly and behave for 3 hours straight. My kids would go bonkers if they had to sit for 3 hours. Those parents who insist their babies actually could sit and not make a sound for that length of time must have drug them or never had an active playful child -- that doesn't even sound natural.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
No, they haven't gone off the deep end....Tiger, when I was young going to a ball game was a great experience....but today, would I take a child, and we've had this conversation at work, it is a crying shame that some people who go to those games are unable to conduct themselves in an adult manner. I think they should outlaw tail gating parties for that very reason. some people do not want to take the chance of exposing their child to the horrid swearing, fights and drunkedness that goes on. It wasn't like that when I was a child, people then, respected the space of others, and wouldn't have acted so selfishly in front of a kid.

So what is the answer then? Do we just give in and let the cretins win?

Of course people are not always going to act the way that we would prefer. I would always prefer to enjoy a meal in a restaurant without kids running around, spilling stuff everywhere, but I am not going to deny myself that experience because of the possibility that someone doesn't know how or chooses not to control their kids.

Anyway, good reading here:
Babies at 'Batman?' Not time to play the blame game - TODAYMoms

Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Of course people are not always going to act the way that we would prefer. I would always prefer to enjoy a meal in a restaurant without kids running around, spilling stuff everywhere, but I am not going to deny myself that experience because of the possibility that someone doesn't know how or chooses not to control their kids.

Anyway, good reading here:
Babies at 'Batman?' Not time to play the blame game - TODAYMoms
Hello again, Tiger you asked,
To me it is not at all about winning, it is however a question of what do you want your children exposed to. A coworker took his young so to a baseball game, and unfortunately all around them were butt holes who were drunk, one even threw up...swearing, throwing drinks, they got showered with those drinks, they were throwing food and mooning the other team, all in front of his son...he was so embarrassed, he said, "by taking my son there, dictated that it was ok to act like that". He even said something to them, and of course they yelled profanities at them, and he said, "Next time I take my kid to a public place like that, I'm definately going to rethink. we will never go to a game again". It is a shame that today's society deems this acceptable...and these ass holes never considered a young child sitting right in they're midst? Un believable, and half those guys were parents??????
So, the decission is up to you, but for me, I would never take my young son to a game. We'd watch it together on TV....sorry it is not the answer your looking for, but unfortunately, there are some adults who do not respect little kids.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:53 AM

17,355 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why this father is admitting to this cowardice or am I being too harsh? The comments below the story are funny too evidently a black teenager saved his family and took a bullet as the guy drove off.

Survivor Jamie Rohrs talks about his escape from gunfire. - YouTube
No, you're not.

He's a spineless, worthless, piece of garbage.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
I don't know if this was handled up thread but I read where some man "lost" track of his 4 month old in the theater. He just left the theater without his his son. I mean I'm not sure how one loses track of an immobile 4 month old but I guess it's possible if one is selfishly fleeing for their life.

The Times Herald - Young family survives Aurora theater shooting

Survivor Jamie Rohrs talks about his escape from gunfire. - YouTube
I don't think you're being harsh at all -- this guy seems rather typical of the kind of parent who would take a child to a crowded theater at 12:30 am in the first place. His needs and wants come before the kids.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
No, you're not.

He's a spineless, worthless, piece of garbage.
MY God, she's going to marry him? This is someone who will never have her back, and beside, he was acting....he probably asked her to marry him out of guilt? He wanted to know if she thought him less then a good protecter and provider. She will never be happy with him, b/c it's all about him. Did you see how tiny that baby is? Geeze Louise?????

Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Kids need structure and schedules....so in answer to your question, I think, and this is my personal opinion, kids need to be home in bed at their usual time.
When I had my son, from the time he was born, I figured, my responsibility was to him, and put my own personal desires aside, had to, it is just what you do or so I thought. Anything beyond that to me would be selfish...and I was 23 at the time. So there were a whole lot of things I still wanted to do. I believe those who are arguing this, are those who do in fact, want to go out and see a movie, so they take their kids. And that's ok, if it is before the child's bedtime and they are considerate parents to others....and think about how their kids may effect the evening out for others if they carry on. I just and I am sorry, for offending anyone here, but I just cannot imagine taking my child to a movie theater after mid night, with all that noise, and disrupe his/her schedule. Not to mention, having them exposed to all those killings and shootings that occur in adult movies. I remember as a kid watching a movie, and I was probably 12 years old, that scared the bejesus out of me...those darned monkies in the kids movie plus the witches....and I cannot tell you how badly they scared me. So, I will always look at a parent in a theater after 9 p.m. and think, What could they be thinking? That child needs to be home in bed. And the person that said they worked night shift and they come home and wake they're kids up to have family time??????
Sorry, but your post is so judgmental.

I agree that GENERALLY SPEAKING, kids operate best on a schedule. But a midnight movie is not the norm, it's something special and different, and exciting, and for kids to get to do something like that WITH THEIR PARENTS is fun - and if parents bring a baby along, and the baby isn't crying, then obviously the baby isn't too bothered by it (if the baby starts crying, the parents need to just get up and leave though).

A few years ago I took my kids to a sporting event out of town. They had a BLAST (they were 4,6,8, and 10). It was in the summertime. The event was three hours from our house. We stopped at IHOP and ate - I don't know what meal you'd call it - SOMETHING at about midnight. We got in about 2 am. I guess this was just awful.

It's also one of my kids' favorite memories to this day.

Another great time I had with my kids was when the first Lord of the Rings movie came out. My boys were 8 and 10. I took them and a whole gang of their friends to the late showing of that movie - we didn't get out of there till about 1 am. We had a blast! Now - they didn't have school the next day. I wouldn't have taken them to a late movie if they had, but no school the next day? We'll stay up together as late as we want, thank you very kindly.

Sometimes breaking that rigid schedule makes an event even more interesting and exciting for a kid!

Now I do agree that parents SHOULD NOT TAKE SMALL CHILDREN to R rated movies, and I really hate to see parents bring kids into movies that are not age appropriate. I draw the line there. However, older kids, say, over ten? Possibly, depending on the movie. For instance, Schindler's List was rated R and so was Saving Private Ryan, and I took my kids to see both those movies when they were school age (pre teens and young teens).

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 07-22-2012 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies