Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:57 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, that top dollar to me in $12.00 and is a lot to me, when you figure your looking to have a great entertaining night out, with a buttered popcorn and soda. A 20.00 movie is a lot of money to me...
Some parents, with children, pay $50+ for a night out at the movies. They would probably argue that they have even more of a right to be there. That's probably why managers don't really take action against unruly children. Parents, with children, are their money-makers. If they're gonna appease someone, it'll be the person holding 4+ tickets, not the one holding one. Not saying it's right...I'm just sayin'.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I took my children to the movies as babies. Not so much as toddlers. They get antsy and want to go after a while. I also don't want to have to get up for numerous potty breaks. We usually don't rejoin the movie world until about 4-5. I get stressed out at the thought of taking my now, 3.5 y/o to the movies. She doesn't make a ton of noise, but she likes to move around and she would think it was funny to make annoying noises and sounds. Not worth the possible headache, so I'll wait for another year or so before we let her out of the cage.
If you are talking about going to a child's movie, then fine, it's to be expected...but I'm talking about a movie that is R rated? And by the way, I thought R rated movies were restricted to young children, but movie managers do not ask them to leave.

Does anyone know if that is even practiced today? Have you ever been restricted if you have your child along?

Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Back when we had old-time movie theaters (i.e., a single building with but one screen), many had 'baby rooms', which was a room in the back, enclosed, with a window facing the screen. Mothers would take a crying baby or child up to said room (I guess soundproof, with a speaker inside for the sound) and stay therein as long as it took to quiet the child.

A good system that I am sad to see gone.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Patronize a theater where children aren't allowed into adult-rated films. Otherwise, go elsewhere.
Or better yet, how about we start requiring a license to have children? You need a license to get married, drive a car, fish or hunt but any borderline retarded person can be a parent which happens to be the ones you will see at midnight with babies at loud, violent movies.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Some parents, with children, pay $50+ for a night out at the movies. They would probably argue that they have even more of a right to be there. That's probably why managers don't really take action against unruly children. Parents, with children, are their money-makers. If they're gonna appease someone, it'll be the person holding 4+ tickets, not the one holding one.
See, that is the point I'm trying to make...so they are paying 50 bucks, and still feel they have the RIGHT to literally ruin 200 other people's enjoyment? ChocLot, that is exactly the concept I'm speaking of...they just don't get it...it simply isn't in their character to understand that, and they are raising kids who also will never understand that, now take that one step further...they are grown adults, and believe they can do anything...and that is exactly how criminals are raised, b/c they feel they have the right...and I'm not saying all, what I'm saying is, kids parrot their parents, and if the parents do not teach them respect for the rights of others, there will be none.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Or better yet, how about we start requiring a license to have children? You need a license to get married, drive a car, fish or hunt but any borderline retarded person can be a parent which happen to be the ones you will see at midnight with babies at loud, violent movies.
LOL, this morning, when my co-horts were discussing this shooting in the theater in COLORADO, one of them said, "huh, a baby was shot, in a movie after mid-night? What were 8 and 10 year olds doing there?" Huh, you should have to take a test to be a parent". And of course we laughed, but honestly, parents today are just so void of that concept of respecting others...so at the cost of everyone else, their kid is going to go to the movies, and cry and scream and run up and down the isle, when 200 other people there paid to see the same movie and enjoy and evening out. but so what?
It's my right!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Back when we had old-time movie theaters (i.e., a single building with but one screen), many had 'baby rooms', which was a room in the back, enclosed, with a window facing the screen. Mothers would take a crying baby or child up to said room (I guess soundproof, with a speaker inside for the sound) and stay therein as long as it took to quiet the child.

A good system that I am sad to see gone.
Yes, yes, exactly, ours did to...yanno, you'd think, today, with our technology, we'd think of that, but we don't....I'm convinced, we have not progressed as a society, we've regressed....

anything goes today, and it's my right, without one thought of how our decissions are affecting so many other lives....

My grand daughter was taking swimming lessons, and thank God my Daughter in law was there observing, b/c there were a lot of kids there...another kid, and mind you, his mother was there also, pushed my grand daughter into the deep end of the pool. The instructer didn't see it, but my daugter in law thank God saw it, and clothes and all, jumped into the pool to save her own child. The kids mother didn't say a word, not I'm sorry, or anything. If he would have been my kid, his arse would have gotten smacked, and that would have been the end of swimming lessons, plus he would have had to go over to the mother and the child and apologize! The instructer was busy with the other kids, and didn't see it happen...what if????????? She could have died from a simple what this kid thought was harmless and funny...by pushing her in, and would have had to live with that the rest of his life, b/c his parent was so unaware, and thoughtless??????

Old 07-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
If you are talking about going to a child's movie, then fine, it's to be expected...but I'm talking about a movie that is R rated? And by the way, I thought R rated movies were restricted to young children, but movie managers do not ask them to leave.

Does anyone know if that is even practiced today? Have you ever been restricted if you have your child along?
Batman is rated PG-13. And I've never taken my children to an R rated movie. My sister has taken her children (from early ages) to see pretty much any movie she wants to see. I'm usually horrified and tell her so, but she insists they like it.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
See, that is the point I'm trying to make...so they are paying 50 bucks, and still feel they have the RIGHT to literally ruin 200 other people's enjoyment? ChocLot, that is exactly the concept I'm speaking of...they just don't get it...it simply isn't in their character to understand that, and they are raising kids who also will never understand that, now take that one step further...they are grown adults, and believe they can do anything...and that is exactly how criminals are raised, b/c they feel they have the right...and I'm not saying all, what I'm saying is, kids parrot their parents, and if the parents do not teach them respect for the rights of others, there will be none.
Well, you twisted my words a bit. I didn't say they feel they have a right to ruin other people's enjoyment, just that they had a right to also be there as paying customers. On that, they're right.

I do agree that they should not keep their kids in the theater when the child becomes agitated and/or fussy. I have 4 children and have heard my fair share of crying, but when I'm watching a movie, I don't want to hear diddly-squat. You and I are in agreement on the noise front.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:15 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
It's pure selfishness. I mean, really, did you HAVE to take your 3-month old to a midnight showing of Batman the night it came out?? What did you accomplish?? Couldn't wait a day or two???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies