Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times

Advertisements

I didn't vote for Obama the first go-around. I'm center-right. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative. I don't agree with everything on the left or on the right and I think that a lot of issues that are social or personal are made into political issues, which wastes politicians' time and gets them involved in things that they shouldn't be involved in.

I don't care for Romney, since I don't think anything would really change, but if it means getting Obama out of office I might just throw away my vote. I was actually thinking of voting Libertarian or writing in Mickey Mouse or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 PM

800 posts, read 781,126 times
Was too young to vote in the last election but I would've definitely voted McCain. Voting for Romney come November. For the rest of my generation I'm largely disappointed, but I know a decent amount of strong conservatives my age fortunately.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:29 PM

402 posts, read 853,065 times
Default Yes

I'm in my early 20's and I am a registered Republican who is active in politics. We aren't a huge group, but there are many more than some people realize.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The general consensus is millennials are a fringe-leftist group of people, which is supported by many of the younger posters on this board. Millennials' big issues are gay marriage, the environment, and income equalization and support Obama to the death. There however have to be some out there who don't fit the stereotype. Are there any millennials out there who regret voting for Obama in 2008 and will be voting for Romney this time around?
I'm 25, voted for McCain in '08 when I was 21, and am what others would describe as a hardcore social conservative.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:45 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
I think it's a mistake for younger people to try and directly inherit the political positions and narratives of their parents anyway. Why identify with a political party that is dominated by older generations which have - let's be honest - botched the current situation so badly over the course of many years?

You should develop your own youth-oriented politics. Don't just parrot talking points or opinions from people who don't have your generational interests in mind. Think more critically than that; think like the AARP - take your stances based on how younger people would be affected.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:48 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The general consensus is millennials are a fringe-leftist group of people, which is supported by many of the younger posters on this board. Millennials' big issues are gay marriage, the environment, and income equalization and support Obama to the death. There however have to be some out there who don't fit the stereotype. Are there any millennials out there who regret voting for Obama in 2008 and will be voting for Romney this time around?
I'm a Millennial that regrets voting for Obama in 2008, but you must be crazy if you think that translates into more votes for Romney. I really don't understand how people cannot see through Mitt Rmoney at this point-He must be one of the most blatantly obvious "Puppet-President" candidates we've had ever.

I'm not saying that Obama isn't-because it is now obvious he was as well.

Most young people I know supported Obama because he campaigned on a message of "Bringing the troops home", "Reigning in and making Wall Street accountable", implementing an economic recovery and healthcare that works for it's citizens.

He promised a transparent Presidency led by honest democracy. An end to war times, an end to a hollow Government that exists only to fatten the pockets of Corporations and Banks that are well connected and game the system.

I know many things regarding the economy and jobs are out of Obama's control but re-appointing Bush's pick for Federal Reserve Chairman (after the economic crash that Bernanke failed to foresee no less), keeping Bush's Secretary of State in power, keeping the Military-Industrial complex juiced, keeping the Corporate Welfare and Bailouts flowing, and implementing measures such as NDAA to ensure our civil liberties continue to be stripped away showed the World that Obama did not intend or was not capable of changing a DAMN THING.

I, along with MANY young people I know were Ron Paul supporters but it seems that Corporate Media's influence on people is still too strong.
I probably will not vote and not acknowledge whoever "wins" the Presidency.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm a Millennial that regrets voting for Obama in 2008, but you must be crazy if you think that translates into more votes for Romney. I really don't understand how people cannot see through Mitt Rmoney at this point-He must be one of the most blatantly obvious "Puppet-President" candidates we've had ever.

I'm not saying that Obama isn't-because it is now obvious he was as well.

Most young people I know supported Obama because he campaigned on a message of "Bringing the troops home", "Reigning in and making Wall Street accountable", implementing an economic recovery and healthcare that works for it's citizens.
He promised a transparent Presidency led by honest democracy. An end to war times, an end to a hollow Government that exists only to fatten the pockets of Corporations and Banks that are well connected and game the system.

I know many things regarding the economy and jobs are out of Obama's control but re-appointing Bush's pick for Federal Reserve Chairman (after the economic crash that Bernanke failed to foresee no less), keeping Bush's Secretary of State in power, keeping the Military-Industrial complex juiced, keeping the Corporate Welfare and Bailouts flowing, and implementing measures such as NDAA to ensure our civil liberties continue to be stripped away showed the World that Obama did not intend or was not capable of changing a DAMN THING.

I, along with MANY young people I know were Ron Paul supporters but it seems that Corporate Media's influence on people is still too strong.
I probably will not vote and not acknowledge whoever "wins" the Presidency.
Those issues I def agree with. It seems like it doesn't matter who we vote for, we're going to get the same outcomes. I also would have considered voting for Paul if he was the Republican candidate. Paul > Obama > Romney is how I see it in my book. Paul seems to be the only one with any backbone.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:09 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Those issues I def agree with. It seems like it doesn't matter who we vote for, we're going to get the same outcomes. I also would have considered voting for Paul if he was the Republican candidate. Paul > Obama > Romney is how I see it in my book. Paul seems to be the only one with any backbone.
That's how I see it as well. Eight potential years of Robot Romney is very frightening-I would love to move out of the country if he were to be elected.
Obama not being restricted over re-election concerns could be better but it could also be worse-I guess we'll see his true colors. He has some shady associates.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:32 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
That's how I see it as well. Eight potential years of Robot Romney is very frightening-I would love to move out of the country if he were to be elected.
Obama not being restricted over re-election concerns could be better but it could also be worse-I guess we'll see his true colors. He has some shady associates.
I was thinking about an Obama who isn't "playing politics." I've even heard some people say part of it might be his strategy.

I honestly believe most people our age are over the whole "Democrat" vs. "Republican" tags. I sure as hell am, and most people I talk to are too. It seems our generation tends to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM

29,819 posts, read 24,902,718 times
I'm a 25 year old conservative. Disapproved of Obama before it was "cool". DID NOT vote for that loser. Can't believe a left wing radical community activist, who has absolutely no practical experience, could become president in this country. Absolutely astonishing, and frightening. If I apply for a job, they want to see my experience. If I don't have it, sorry, go flip burgers or something... And Obummer was elected president??? You reap what you sow American.

And gay marriage is the last thing that should be on America's radar with our country's current situation. At this point, it's such a distraction from the real issues which are threatening everyone's livelihood. We are litterally on the verge of a worlwide depression. You know things are bad when CHINA is hurting... Do folks even pay attention to this stuff??? No, they are preoccupied with their fascination of two men, or two women, wanting to celebrate their love through marriage. Give me a break... America, you should be ASHAMED of yourself... How about worrying about the future of your fricken CHILDREN for a change... Gonna be hard for those two men/women to marry if they don't have income to afford it...

Yes, business in America is m absolute #1 concern right now. I think the conservative base has been highjacked by the wealthy elite, who have absolutely no interest for me, you, or anyone other than themselves... But I will take my chances with the turd that smells the least.

I also think there are many other problems in this country which absolutely no one bothers to notice given the smoke screens, entertainment complex, and other distractions. People seem to grasp simple ideas and concepts at best... Not an ideal situation to say the least.

As far as issues like income disparity... Well, American's demanded cheap. They were too cheap to buy the products that could support their fellow Americans. Again, you reap what you sow. I also blame the government, unfair trade, and the business culture of greed it good. They basically sold America out. Sure, I collect dividends, but I also understand this system is unsustainable and will ultimately hurt the viability of a lot of the companies that benefited at one time. When consumers don't have the money, credit dries up, and business becomes ultra competitive, there will be plenty of hurt to go around.

And send all the damn illegals back to their own country. I pay enough taxes, and it's absolutely disgusting that tax payers like me are paying for these people, who are ultimately hurting us. What a devious system... How many more job ads do we have to see that REQUIRE fluent Spanish before we admit this problem has gotten out of hand. Some of them are even WRITTEN IN SPANISH!!! I have no idea how anyone can believe this situation is right or adventitious for America as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies