Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
All very good questions that an enacted law would need to address.
why don't you at least try to answer a few of them, since this was, after all, your proposal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Same should be done in the case of people in the Congress and Senate who pass healthcare law without reading the bill.

142 posts, read 164,791 times
First thing that popped into my mind was Ted Nugent finally went all the way bat crap crazy. No pun intended. I am divided on this issue. I have a couple of ARs and AKs and I love to work on them and shoot them. I also and empathize with people who are not gun nuts and have lost a child or loved one to some idiot who has lost their mind. The thing is I think it boils down to is either we keep guns in public hands and just know that sometimes some people are going to go nuts as people do, or we ban them.

I think its impossible to do some mental back ground check to make this not a possible thing that will come up from time to time. This guy although its easy to call him names and think of him as evil, is most likely very sick in the mind. No one who has any semblance of a normal brain could possibly do something like this. And if he is mentally ill it may have happened very recently. So if he passed a psych. test and got his gun several months ago it would not matter because he went insane now. There is also the problem that I can buy a gun in many states like Florida and Arkansas, Texas, Kansas, and many more and and take my AR I just bought legally and hit the street and decide that I just don't want it and sell it face to face to someone and no Nicks check or anything, you hand me the dollars and I hand you the gun we part ways and if you do something illegal OH well.

This is one reason I left the NRA. They are so BS crazy to demonize Obama and tell tin foil hat members that he is coming to take your guns and we know this because he is not coming to take your guns, and that any attempt to regulate sales of semi auto weapons is an assault on our liberties, that I had to go. Wayne LaPaire is an idiot who will say anything to whip up a hate frenzy in a crowd of people who most can not figure out what the phrase 'critical thinking" means much less use it.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
With half a million BG checks last year for firearms bought from dealers, who are you going to find to hire for this, how much is it going to cost, and where should it take place? What mental issues would preclude one from buying a firearm? What would be allowed? Who would be willing to do this? Who would be monitoring the monitors?
The cost should be born by the person wanting to own a firearm. As far as the tests and qualifications for administering the tests we already have occupations that require such tests maybe that would be a good place to start. It sounds like people would be ok with it as long as there was some way to make it fair.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:08 PM

142 posts, read 164,791 times
With over 400 million guns already in the country I think that cat is out of the bag.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Default Everyone wanting to buy a car should be required to have a mental health screening.

Quote:
I don't think it would be too big of a deal to require everyone who wants to purchase a gun to be required to have a mental health screening. It is quite possible that we could identify some of the deranged people purchasing guns and reduce the possibility of what happened in Colorado from happening again.
I don't think it would be too big of a deal to require everyone who wants to purchase a car to be required to have a mental health screening. It is quite possible that we could identify some of the deranged people purchasing cars and reduce the possibility of what happens in every state, every day from happening again.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
Quote:
I would suggest that he have a mental health exam within 6 months before purchase of the guns. Would it catch all circumstances, certainly not, would it improve the chances, certainly.
I said, a year down the road, meaning after. Not 6 months prior...

Good thought, but Not going to work...

Old 07-20-2012, 03:12 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
Quote:
The cost should be born by the person wanting to own a firearm. As far as the tests and qualifications for administering the tests we already have occupations that require such tests maybe that would be a good place to start. It sounds like people would be ok with it as long as there was some way to make it fair.
I'm not paying for it. I know that I'm sane. I've also passed the background check for a concealed-carry license, been fingerprinted, and filled out several Form 4473s for buying firearms from a dealer. Is that not enough?

You say "people" like it would be a majority. Seemingly normal people who really are nuts would simply become better at lying or misrepresenting themselves. The great majority of people who own firearms, however, are reasonable, sane people that only get themselves in a tizzy because some people actually like to shoot for sport and sustenance and are made out to be nuts because of a few weirdos that would have just found another way to hurt someone anyway.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:14 PM

1,196 posts, read 839,009 times
obama and holder should get mental exams; they have to have a screw loose to let guns get into the hands of Mexican execution squads leading to the deaths of over 200 women,men and children

Old 07-20-2012, 03:15 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Yep, because everybody knows that a psychopath can't bull**** their way through such a test.

Protip: They can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies