Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
Bulldingy! The founders were very concerned about the governments standing army and the potential for oppression of the citizenry.

READ: The Second Amendment: The Framers' Intentions
Absolutely not! And to propagate such action is sedition, and to perpetrate it treason.

The argument that we, as citizens, have a constitutional right to take up arms against our lawfully constituted government is without any foundation. There is no support for such right, either historically or constitutionally. The American Revolution was a war waged for separation of the American colonies from the rule of the English monarchy, and not a rebellion against the established colonial governments. The colonies were being taxed under English laws in which they had no elected representatives in Parliament; and when the Crown refused to grant representation, the colonies, in Continental Congress, declared their separate statehood and independence. Likewise, the reliance on the supposed historical record of the founding fathers is wrong. George Washington, who is considered the father of our nation and who commanded the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, was the president of the Constitutional Convention that drafted our Constitution that is the framework of our government of laws; and thereafter elected to be the first President of the United States. During his term in office, President Washington put down the Whisky rebellion of 1794, which was an armed insurrection against the government in protest of the tax enacted by Congress in 1791. Washington personally lead the organized militia to quash the rebellion and assert the federal government’s authority over the states and their citizens.

You - and people like you - would do well to learn from history, and stop trying to rewrite it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Did you sleep through history class?

Read the Declaration of Independence. It makes it pretty clear under what circumstances the founders considered it justifiable to rebel. That tax on whiskey was not enough of a reason. It was constitutionally and lawfully enacted by an elected government. When the government steps beyond its bounds, when it murders people, strips people of their rights, etc., it's justifiable to overthrow it. It wasn't just taxes and a lack of representation. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. It was micromanaging their affairs, limiting where they could live, quartering soldiers in private homes, etc., etc.
The Declaration of Independence is not a foundational document; and it is not authority for what you adbocate, which is sedition.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:11 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,654,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
AR 16's might be a reasonable restriction in big cities, seriously, seems like assault rifles should be a restriction everywhere.
Assault rifles are restricted very heavily in this country. You need many pages of background checks, national fingerprint checks and even the signiture of your local Chief of police and pay a tax before you can legally own one. Right now the waiting period while BATFE approves your application is over 6 months. Semi-auto rifles are not restricted any more than any other hunting or sporting rifle and have been in wide use across the country since 1915.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,023,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Did you sleep through history class?

Read the Declaration of Independence. It makes it pretty clear under what circumstances the founders considered it justifiable to rebel. That tax on whiskey was not enough of a reason. It was constitutionally and lawfully enacted by an elected government. When the government steps beyond its bounds, when it murders people, strips people of their rights, etc., it's justifiable to overthrow it. It wasn't just taxes and a lack of representation. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. It was micromanaging their affairs, limiting where they could live, quartering soldiers in private homes, etc., etc.
Pretty funny post considering the fact that the same Founders sent the militia off to put down by force a tax revolt in western Ma.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 PM

There is nothing funny about it. These so-called "Tea Party" advocates, are really subversives and traitors.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,654,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
There is nothing funny about it. These so-called "Tea Party" advocates, are really subversives and traitors.
Advocates of strong 2nd amendment rights are not all tea party members, nor do they want anything to do with them.

Last edited by mohawkx; 07-20-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,391 times
We have more guns in this country than all the others combined.

Good luck coming for them, big government liberals.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:12 PM

664 posts, read 773,206 times
Assault rifles are Class 3 items in this country and require a very intense BATF background check, tax, etc. An AR-15 is a SEMI-AUTO rifle, you pull the trigger and it fires ONE BULLET AT A TIME. The gunman DID NOT HAVE AN ASSAULT RIFLE. The media calls anything scary looking an assault rifle, but the definition of "assault" rifle includes full auto capability. Meaning that when you pull the trigger, the gun fires until empty. The gunman DID NOT HAVE AN ASSAULT RIFLE. An AR-15 is SEMI-AUTO, just like the Glock, Springfield, or any other pistol on the market.

Really wish the liberal media and anti-gun idiots would stop misusing this term.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,208,662 times
Laws are only as effective as the enforcement od said laws. The problem with freedom is that it applies to all. If a gunshop owner refuses a sale because his gut screams bad news. He gets sued.
Most whacko's seem to pass themselves off pretty good when they need to.
I have no doubt that these mass murderers would find a way to commit their crime. Steal or rent a Uhaul truck and run down a crowd of people. Build bombs, or park a truck on the tracks used by passenger trains.
I myself am a gun owner and I shoot targets. I never committed a crime my guns. I should be punished because of a very select few???? I never met a fellow gun owner who used his weapon in a crime. I meet quite a few.
You want to blame someone? Blame the media who make a habit out of sensationalizing these crimes.
Blame the ATF who misuses their authority.
Blame the justice Department.
Blame the defence lawyers who paint their clients as the victims.
I have a CC permit. I seldom carry.
Blame the cowards who run instead of charge.
No it's easier to blame all who own and use their firearms in a responsible manner. Punish those who don't break the law. That makes a lot od sense.
What is the excuse for Chicago and DC? They have the most restrive laws on the books. Oh yeah its everyone elses fault. But dont blame the criminals. They didn't receive enoughlove.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:27 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,632,999 times
When you look at the shooting in the movie theater, the gunman got of more than 70 rounds in one and a half minutes, the cops were on hand for crowd control and the bad guy ran out the back door. Now what would have happened if the gunman had 5 to 10 minutes waiting for the police to arrive like a normal 911 call. He had plenty of ammo, at the rate of 1 person every 10 to 12 seconds the dead would have been greater, but as soon as he realized guns were fixing to be shooting back he fled. If the movie goers had guns then he may have started shooting but the body count may have been way lower.

When bad thing happen, the police are minutes away, here the response was 90 seconds and 12 dead, I prefer to protect me and my family at all times, I don't advise this for those that do not believe guns are tools, if you have to stop and rationalize the whole thing then I wish you well because the man shooting at you won't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies