Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 12:40 AM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I don't feel that the public knows the real story about the movement. Not what the movement changed to. Have any of you spoken to any actual protesters?
Talking to them would entail being close to them. They don't exactly look like they smell very good, so I think I will pass. If they love the illegals so much, I know plenty of jobs around here where they can work side by side with their precious "disenfranchised" cohort. That would entail hard work, and a hardass boss who will not tolerate any whining, complaining, or slowing working habits. They might actually have to pass a drug test prior to employment. I'm not so sure they are up to the task... Too bad, a dose of reality would actually do some of these losers a world of good.

And I have no opposition to the premise of their message. There is an awful lot of corruption and "money at the top". Wages have not kept up with inflation, and we are basically earning a 1998 income on average. All valid points. It's the presentation that kills the argument before it's even made. These people were bred to believe everyone was a winner for showing up, and being "different" is ok. Unfortunately for them, the workplace does not evolve to suit their expectations. Too many piercings, tattoos, dread locks? Can't string two intelligent and well thought sentences together? Is playing World of Warcraft among one of your sharpest skills? Yea, you might do fine working at hot topic, but life is going to be awfully hard going forward for you. THAT is not evidence of the "system being rigged", or life being unfair. That's life as it always was, not so what your k-12 teacher or college professor bred you to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Forget about them.

They have just become flash mobs intent on destroying property.

The more that end up in jail - the less damage they can do.

Just because they disagree with America doesn't mean that they can just have anything they want for free.
Yes, but if they go to prison, they will get exactly what you claim they want, and for free... Three hots and a cot.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:37 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Talking to them would entail being close to them. They don't exactly look like they smell very good, so I think I will pass. If they love the illegals so much, I know plenty of jobs around here where they can work side by side with their precious "disenfranchised" cohort. That would entail hard work, and a hardass boss who will not tolerate any whining, complaining, or slowing working habits. They might actually have to pass a drug test prior to employment. I'm not so sure they are up to the task... Too bad, a dose of reality would actually do some of these losers a world of good.

And I have no opposition to the premise of their message. There is an awful lot of corruption and "money at the top". Wages have not kept up with inflation, and we are basically earning a 1998 income on average. All valid points. It's the presentation that kills the argument before it's even made. These people were bred to believe everyone was a winner for showing up, and being "different" is ok. Unfortunately for them, the workplace does not evolve to suit their expectations. Too many piercings, tattoos, dread locks? Can't string two intelligent and well thought sentences together? Is playing World of Warcraft among one of your sharpest skills? Yea, you might do fine working at hot topic, but life is going to be awfully hard going forward for you. THAT is not evidence of the "system being rigged", or life being unfair. That's life as it always was, not so what your k-12 teacher or college professor bred you to believe.

Yes, but if they go to prison, they will get exactly what you claim they want, and for free... Three hots and a cot.
The protester I talked to smelled just fine. He's a carpenter who's working in his spare time to create an online community sharing website to help communities better use their resources.

And by the way, it seems that you just admitted that you've never actually talked to a protester (unless you change your story) but have painted them all with such a broad brush.

So in a nutshell, you agree with their message but not with their looks. Tattoos, piercings, and dreadlocks are unacceptable in your book and deem people "bad" or "losers."

Old 07-22-2012, 08:31 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
It started out as a mob, and it could not coalesce into an organized movement with an identifiable leader or unify its message to spark the interest of the disinterested majority.

However, they had legitimate grievances that have made it into the political discourse. Raising the taxes on the wealthy is one example.

Last edited by geofra; 07-22-2012 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
I have an idea - elect the right officials.

All the Left Wing media (NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC) supports OWS as does Pelosi and Obama.
The Occupy movement is supported by them and also making them look like fools. I would suspect they didn't want the bad name before elections.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The Occupy movement is supported by them and also making them look like fools. I would suspect they didn't want the bad name before elections.
If they were supported by them then they probably wouldn't have passed laws that could lock them up and detain them indefinitely without a hearing. They probably also would've put pressure on city officials to allow the protest to remain.

I haven't heard one member talk about being funded or supported by the Democratic party. In fact, there was a huge rift when The 99% Spring (A Moveon.org supported group) tried to team up with Occupy. If anything, Occupy has maintained its own identity and opposed political endorsements.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
Currently, the Occupy Movement seems to be "blacked out" by major news outlets after starting strong in the Fall. The group was largely criticized for not having a unified message, but it seems that currently the group isn't able to get any messages out. Through police intimidation (beatings, arrest, pepper spray, and prolonged jail time before hearings), the Occupy Movement has slowed to the point of scattered protests across the nation.

I'm here to discuss the media's attempt to dismantle the movement and what lies, or more accurate, misperceptions of the movement were spread by the media. I'd also like to discuss the issue of our economy and what needs to be done to fix it and to make our Financial System more beneficial for it's citizens. As our economy continues to regress, Finance reform and the Economy seem to be the most dire issues plaguing our country. Despite our political affiliation, or beliefs, I feel that it is imperative that we come together on these issues.

Dylan Ratigan (rightfully) loses it on air - YouTube
Politicians like Bernie Sanders, Dennis Kucinich, Ralph Nader, who have for YEARS told it like it is to the American people are not given airtime and in the case of Nader, while he received a fair number of votes, he was not voted into the presidency. How often do you see these people in the corporate media? Rarely. They are on Democracy Now, Moyers, etc. which is great, but not on NBC. Anything that threatens the corporate, right-wing establishment is not given airtime. Occupy threatens corporate capitalists, who control the mainstream media. People have to work to go outside the mainstream media to get information.

Do you think we can really come together as a country? I don't see how. What do you think?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
The protester I talked to smelled just fine. He's a carpenter who's working in his spare time to create an online community sharing website to help communities better use their resources.

And by the way, it seems that you just admitted that you've never actually talked to a protester (unless you change your story) but have painted them all with such a broad brush.

So in a nutshell, you agree with their message but not with their looks. Tattoos, piercings, and dreadlocks are unacceptable in your book and deem people "bad" or "losers."
Well tough luck for you and your movement... Americans see things on TV and use that to form opinions about what they are seeing and hearing about. As the occupiers so often find out... Life isn't always fair. Protesting about it doesn't change a thing.

How about they recognize that they have been branded by the majority as smelly, worthless fools, and it's time to start plan B???

And I didn't say those things I mentioned were necessarily "bad"... I will say they will help to serve as a potential roadblock during the hiring process...

Old 07-22-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Well tough luck for you and your movement... Americans see things on TV and use that to form opinions about what they are seeing and hearing about. As the occupiers so often find out... Life isn't always fair. Protesting about it doesn't change a thing.

How about they recognize that they have been branded by the majority as smelly, worthless fools, and it's time to start plan B???

And I didn't say those things I mentioned were necessarily "bad"... I will say they will help to serve as a potential roadblock during the hiring process...
It's not my movement. It's a movement that took place in America.

The bold is the #1 reason America is so fu**ed up in the first place. The very people who were part of the problem to begin with own everything you see and hear. Anything that is not in their best interest will not be aired or will be painted in a bad light.

As far as your 2nd paragraph, I find that to be very insulting to the Americans who were concerned enough about what was going on and were willing to protest outside in public for months just so you could enjoy your comfy job that you probably didn't even create.

If the Economy tanks you could be downsized too. What is your plan to get the economy back on track? Do you even have one?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Politicians like Bernie Sanders, Dennis Kucinich, Ralph Nader, who have for YEARS told it like it is to the American people are not given airtime and in the case of Nader, while he received a fair number of votes, he was not voted into the presidency. How often do you see these people in the corporate media? Rarely. They are on Democracy Now, Moyers, etc. which is great, but not on NBC. Anything that threatens the corporate, right-wing establishment is not given airtime. Occupy threatens corporate capitalists, who control the mainstream media. People have to work to go outside the mainstream media to get information.

Do you think we can really come together as a country? I don't see how. What do you think?
I honestly don't know. Some of the stuff I hear on these boards scares me. I just feel like there are going to be some Americans who abandon all reason and separate from the rest of the population. I don't know how big that portion will be. Whether you live in the city, the country, or suburbs, you should be concerned. All races will be affected. Both males and females. Gays and Straights.

Our current Economic path IS the most important thing in this country IMO. The petty partisan snipes, and hate speech needs to stop. We're not experiencing some uknown force that we've never dealt with before, we're simply not solving our problems.

Our politicians seem intent on caring more about their pockets and re-election (another paid tenure) than their hearts and the American people.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
As far as your 2nd paragraph, I find that to be very insulting to the Americans who were concerned enough about what was going on and were willing to protest outside in public for months just so you could enjoy your comfy job that you probably didn't even create.
They are protesting. Do they want a cookie? Do they deserve a medal? I think not. When I was out of work in 2008, I created 2 jobs for myself. I tried to create another job for someone else, but it's hard to find younger folks who are willing to get dirty. So I did the work myself and saved them the trouble. What have you done??? Protested?

Quote:
If the Economy tanks you could be downsized too. What is your plan to get the economy back on track? Do you even have one?
I live in a studio and drive a 7 year old car. I have been downsized. Doesn't get any slimmer pickings than this. I also don't much mind. There's food and beer in the fridge, plenty in savings, and I'm prepare for what lies ahead. I'll give you a hint... It will crush you and your whiny protesters, no matter how loud they get. Go ahead and cry your way to prosperity, like that's gonna do the trick.

And there is no plan to get the economy back on track. We've gone through 30 years of stagnant wages, which were substituted with credit. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the end result wouldn't be good. To save face, we traded houses and built a propped up phony economy. Again, one should have seen this coming. You all are protesting basic economics. Bad policies/economics yield bad results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies