Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 08:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
To be quit honest, the black community in general has a very loose outlook on sexual morals. As a student at a HBCU college, Black girls in my dorm have already been hooking up with new guys and its only been 3 days. The term baby momma and baby daddy is used way too loosely, so much so that its common to ask someone at 18-24, do you have any kids? It has to come within themselves to understand this but I am afraid that we are far from this reality.
You should go to a majority white college and hear tell of all their "hook ups."

I also went to an HBCU and I agree there is a lot of sex on campus but that is not unique to HBCUs and casual sex is just as common at mainstream campuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 08:26 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,438,368 times
Who cares? They're (black single mothers) roughly 5% of the population at the most.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:36 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,024,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Who cares? They're (black single mothers) roughly 5% of the population at the most.
yes, but their kids commit about 80% of violent/drug crimes.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:40 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,613,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary2012 View Post
I do not want this thread to be an attack on black single mothers. I'm just trying to figure out why there hasn't been an active campaign (by married black women) to speak out against this sort of behavior?
There are plenty of groups and programs that do address these things. They might not be famous or they just aren't receiving coverage. Just like black leaders had a summit in Chicago a few months ago to address black on black crime...but because it didn't make the front page, judgemental white people assume nothing is being done.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:44 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,613,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
First of all, that's bs. Second of all, what "crimes" are being committed. Plenty of black kids are in jail for small things and don't have the lawyers to get them out of things. Jeb Bush laughs "alright, yes I've smoked pot" with the tone deafness of one who doesn't realize tons of poor people and minorities are serving time for that.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,676,336 times
Quote:
I simply do not understand why there hasn't been a political platform set up to address the pervasive issue of single motherhood amongst black women. Black women should not wait for the government to save them. Surely, if that were going to happen, it would have already taken place. More, simply need to organize around this platform and reach out to the masses of young black women who are being socially conditioned to accept the notion that raising children alone, without a father's involvement is fine.

When in fact:

Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Health - Women's health - NBCNews.com

I just do not forsee any changes occuring, until black women collectively organize, to address this issue. I can't however understand why so many of us continue to sing the praises of black single motherhood, when it's a well known fact that black children (as an aggregate group) are not thriving under these circumstances.
In our brainstorming meetings at work....if you come up with an idea or find a need....YOU OWN IT. Thus, why don't you organize such a movement?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,438,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
First of all, that's bs. Second of all, what "crimes" are being committed. Plenty of black kids are in jail for small things and don't have the lawyers to get them out of things. Jeb Bush laughs "alright, yes I've smoked pot" with the tone deafness of one who doesn't realize tons of poor people and minorities are serving time for that.
Obama served time for smoking pot, doing coke?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:19 AM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
I'm just surprised that no lobby group was created to address this issue. There appears to be a serious need for a platform which highlights the child rearing experiences of black married women.
Well, I think this is one reason why it isn't discussed in public. In my opinion, there are some who will discuss this issue, but not out in public where everyone can hear it. It is one of those "keep it at church, keep it at the dinner table, keep it out of the public". I believe there is a fear of "Black shame" or "respectability politics".

Consider CD. This is a public forum. There are already a monster collection of threads constantly complaining about Black people. A consideration I make is that talking about this in public would attract those who wish to interject their anger and resentment of Blacks through certain Blacks.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
If that is the case, then we can't say single motherhood is the sole cause. There are alot of unwed White single mothers.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Obama served time for smoking pot, doing coke?
He didn't. But alot of Blacks in America have served time for pot. On the occasion that both Blacks and Whites are doing drugs, Blacks are more likely to be CAUGHT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies