Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:06 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times

Advertisements

Obama (and the current congress) is for it. Romney's against it. I'm for it.
Just curious what you guys and gals thought about it.

Repealing Jackson Vanik should not be seen as a favor to the new Russian government. Opening markets to Russia is essential to convince the Russian public and business leaders that their future is with the West. In return, US business will have better access to a growing economy and consumer market.
3 ways the US can start an economic 'reset' with Russia - Economic integration and incentives - CSMonitor.com

Keep an eye on Russia. Russia's not screwing around in the Middle East.
Russia boosts arms sales to Syria despite world pressure | Reuters
Russia faces a growing international outcry over its arms sales to Syria but shows no sign of bowing to pressure and has even increased deliveries of arms that critics say are helping keep President Bashar al-Assad in power.

Putin to Israel: Beware 'not that smart' wars, like ones in Iraq, Afghanistan - CSMonitor.com
Look at what happened to the Americans in Afghanistan and in Iraq. I told [President] Obama the same thing” when the two leaders met earlier this month on the margins of a G20 summit in Mexico, he reportedly added.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:43 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Repealing Jackson Vanik should not be seen as a favor to the new Russian government. Opening markets to Russia is essential to convince the Russian public and business leaders that their future is with the West. In return, US business will have better access to a growing economy and consumer market.
3 ways the US can start an economic 'reset' with Russia - Economic integration and incentives - CSMonitor.com

Keep an eye on Russia. Russia's not screwing around in the Middle East.
Russia boosts arms sales to Syria despite world pressure | Reuters
Russia faces a growing international outcry over its arms sales to Syria but shows no sign of bowing to pressure and has even increased deliveries of arms that critics say are helping keep President Bashar al-Assad in power.

Putin to Israel: Beware 'not that smart' wars, like ones in Iraq, Afghanistan - CSMonitor.com
Look at what happened to the Americans in Afghanistan and in Iraq. I told [President] Obama the same thing” when the two leaders met earlier this month on the margins of a G20 summit in Mexico, he reportedly added.
As bad as the economy is any increases in trade are going to be beneficial.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
If we can trade with the Chinese I am certain we can trade with the Russians.

[what's the worst that could happen that hasn't already?]

Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Russia is not long ago joined the WTO

MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin on Saturday signed the bill ratifying Russia’s entry to the World Trade Organization after 18 years of often acrimonious negotiations, the Kremlin press office said.
Economists have long argued that Russia needed to join the WTO as it was the only major economy outside the body - following China’s membership in 2001 - and the government hopes accession will stimulate growth.

The measure making Russia the 156th WTO member will become law within 30 days, after the lower house of parliament, the State Duma, approved it on July 10 and the upper house, the Federation Council, on Wednesday.

But the membership has also been controversial, with some medium-sized firms expressing concern they will be put out of business by being unable to compete against imports made cheaper by a reduction in customs tariffs.

The reduction of the tariffs was a key condition for Russia entering the WTO and they will fall from a current average level of 9.5 percent to 7.4 percent in 2013, 6.9 percent in 2014 and 6.0 percent in 2015.

Source: http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/international/22-Jul-2012/putin-signs-russia-into-wto

They already are and those concerns about Meduim-size business being unable to compete from cheaper imports means Wallmart is coming soon and they just joined the fun that we all have been having we are all screwed over unless you are already a Bllionaire..But we will have more in comm on with Russia than ever we will all be unemployed and pissed off because the off at the bad economy.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:10 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Why would you ask people on this forum. Most of them have no idea about economics. You can easily dig up information about the benefits of trade.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:19 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,544 times
No. You don't reward bad behavior. They have invaded Georgia,threatened Poland and other allies in eastern and Central Europe. They have continued to ally themselves with Syria and Iran,even as Iran is building nukes. They have killed their own journalists and others who speak out and try to uncover corruption. No. We were wrong to think opening up trade to China would change them. It hasn't. Won't change Russia either.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:25 PM

After 18 years, Russia to join WTO - YouTube
Well if Russia needs any natural gas or logs then great but I doubt our logging and natural gas and mining industrty willl see much from Russia that will be exported unless we trade in Lumber where then exchange Rate is 2x4 for a 2x4 and we have 4x8's for plywood for the big trade deals.

the only country the makes out huge is China they beat Europe, the U.S. and now Russia at our own games thast we invented in the Cold war so it like we jujst will be sending natural resources to China so they can make I-phones and X-boxes to export back to us.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:36 PM

I think we have more in common with the average Russian than we think and if we take all the poitics out of it we do the exact same things and behave the same way.

Possible only in Russia (part 1) - YouTube

Old 07-22-2012, 07:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Where are the Russkies who usually chime in when the Bear is the topic?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Trade should not be about changing behavior, and yes, I agree with Obama on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies