Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,488 times

Advertisements

Do you think Malthusian fears and complaints that the world is too populated are based more on a disdain for humanity than on the facts? More people are overweight in the world than hungry and overpopulation doomsday has been proclaimed for centuries and has never happened.

I think the suffering in the world has all to do with inequality, greed, and corruption and little to do with an actual lack of resources. That's not to say we aren't putting a strain on the Earth, but the reason why we are is because our lifestyles are too wasteful and excessive, not because there are simply too many of us. One United States puts more strain on the world than 3 Africas I would bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,012 times
neomalthusian types tend to be elitist humanity hating ppl so i'd say thats accurate.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
I agree that some do more damage than others, but I do think over-population is a very real threat. There are extremists who think we're parasites and the world would be better off without us, but I think most people just want everyone to have equal access to resources.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Do you think Malthusian fears and complaints that the world is too populated are based more on a disdain for humanity than on the facts?
No, I think the Malthusians are misguided and wrong on the facts, but I see no reason to suppose that most of them are motivated by anything but a desire to see people living by a higher material standard. They have a disdain for famine and suffering, and, IMO misidentify the causes.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,815 times
In what way can more people enhance civilization that 7 billion can't?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
In what way can more people enhance civilization that 7 billion can't?
more competition, more production, more wealth, more art, more innovation

Old 07-23-2012, 02:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Do you think Malthusian fears and complaints that the world is too populated are based more on a disdain for humanity than on the facts? More people are overweight in the world than hungry and overpopulation doomsday has been proclaimed for centuries and has never happened.
The world can only support so many people, I'm not concerned about it because at some point in the future the world will shed itself of this overpopulation naturally. My money is on the super bug but it could be something else like famine brought on by a massive volcanic eruption, meteor strike etc.

Quote:
The 1918 flu pandemic (the "Spanish flu") was an influenza pandemic. It was an unusually severe and deadly pandemic that spread across the world. Historical and epidemiological data are inadequate to identify the geographic origin.[1] Most victims were healthy young adults, in contrast to most influenza outbreaks, which predominantly affect juvenile, elderly, or weakened patients. The flu pandemic was implicated in the outbreak of encephalitis lethargica in the 1920s.[2]

The pandemic lasted from January 1918 to December 1920,[3] spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. Between 50 and 130 million died, making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history.[1][4][5][6][7] Even using the lower estimate of 50 million people, 3% of the world's population (which was 1.86 billion at the time[8]) died of the disease. Some 500 million, or 27%, were infected

By the end of pandemic, only one major region on the entire planet had not reported an outbreak: an isolated island called Marajo, located in Brazil's Amazon River Delta.
That was 1912 before air travel and even then it broke out in many areas of the world almost simultaneously.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:03 AM

carrying capacity is dynamic. changes along w technology and infrastructure.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
more competition, more production, more wealth, more art, more innovation
Don't forget more Wars on a even larger scale and Bigger Fammines and increased use of natural Resouces

Old 07-23-2012, 05:29 AM

29,814 posts, read 24,885,583 times
If you stood every person shoulder to shoulder, the would occupy a space about the size of the tip of a needle. I believe we should be weary of over population, and perhaps should consider limiting the # of children being brought into this world at some point... At the same time, it's hard to measure how many people the planet can really sustain. Farming methods are becoming increasingly efficient, we are implementing more environmentally friendly measures, and people are waking up to the realization that we are guests on this planet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies