Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I said he wasn't a liberal or conservative. I consider him a pragmatist as he isn't all that beholden to a particular ideology.

Oh, Judith Butler. She's definitely liberal.
O.K., but the OP asked about liberal intellectuals, and I just pointed out that Posner is not liberal. He certainly is what would be called a legal pragmatist; however he is also a fan of the chicago business school of economics, which glorify the austrian economic theory, which is the antithesis of liberal ideology. Judith Butler I don't know. I will have to look her up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 10:22 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Susan Sontag would've qualified until she died a few years ago as well.
Oh, I loved Susan Sontag. Good addition to the list.

Sherrie Turkle as well.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:22 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Who needs one, liberals aren't robots to be programmed like conservatives. Righties need talking points from Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck to know what to say in argument. Liberals generally are liberals because they've been exposed to the world and have learned about political systems and history and know solutions are more complex than "cut taxes" and "follow the Bible". That's why there is no liberal equivalent to Rush Limbaugh and never will be.
Actually, the entire lineup down at MSNBC would fit the bill. They're really not even good at it, but they do achieve entertainment value from time to time. That channel can be highly comical.

Don't kid yourself, liberals are equally as monolithic in their thinking. They too, get it fed to them from somewhere. Of course there are plenty on both sides that think for themselves, and sometimes you come to the same conclusions even without the extra help.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:23 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't think that Eugene or Leonard would consider themselves anything more than columnist but with regards to Mr. Dionne, I suggest reading his latest book "Our Divide Political Heart".

I would add Tom Friedman, Robert Reich, Joseph E. Stiglitz, James Zogby, James Fallows, Lawrence Krauss, Brad DeLong, Johnathan Turley, Lawrence Tribe, just to name some that you MIGHT recognize since your list seems to be generated more by public notoriety than published or scholarly work.
Good list.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
O.K., but the OP asked about liberal intellectuals, and I just pointed out that Posner is not liberal. He certainly is what would be called a legal pragmatist; however he is also a fan of the chicago business school of economics, which glorify the austrian economic theory, which is the antithesis of liberal ideology.
Got ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Judith Butler I don't know. I will have to look her up.
Her book Precarious Life about life post-9/11 was VERY good.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default All of them

A better question is, WHO ISN'T? - when compared to what the Righties continue to curse us with.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:28 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
I think you are the only person I've heard call Cher and Kathy Griffin intellectual, even pseudo intellectual
Well, no. They are just dumb, and so is some of the other people on the list.

But overall they are pseudo-intelectuals and not really intellectuals. I have noticed that over the years that many liberals want to listen to someone they can pretend is an intellectual.

That is why it is such a strong argument in the liberal community to say that a Nobel price economist agrees with me. Of course they ignore the fact that he got Nobel Prize in something else, and there are Nobel prize economists who disagree with them too.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Agreed, why start a thread about intellectuals and include Mr. Goldberg, or even Prager.
Because Goldberg and Prager were the two who brought up the topic. Why even comment on a thread if you're not going to read the OP?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:38 PM

Not as well known as some of the others, but Michael Berube. Too bad that he shut down his blog a couple of years ago, as his commentary on the Penn State scandal would have been all too interesting given that he is also a professor there.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:39 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Jonah Goldberg is a moron. The only reason this twit has a national platform is because his Mommy was instrumental in getting Clinton in trouble with Monica.

He wrote a book called "Liberal Fascism" that compares to the best Ann Coulter has ever written.

To even start a thread on the "deep bench" of rightwing intellectuals is turning logic on its head.

Pure namecalling as usual. Wouldn't it help to have some actual criticism, say a quote or a bad idea that he supported? Good example though, of one reason why there is a dearth of left-wing intellectuals.

And the idea that there is a deep bench of right-wing intellectuals is clearly just an opinion. It has zip, zero, nada to do with 'logic.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies