Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
I started out earning minimum wage, then moved up in career.

I started out in an apartment, then moved up in house [a cheap $35,000 house originally.]

It's called initiative, future planning, making a plan and following it to its conclusion.

And living a moral, below-your-means lifestyle to finance it and with God's help reach your goal.
Can it with the sky daddy stuff.
Apparently your invisible sky daddy didn't shine on others.
Not everyone has the opportunities you apparently did.
Instead of being grateful for what you have, you diminish it by demeaning others.

Hatred is not moral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There are those with kids that still saved. It's not just folks with no kids.
It sometimes depends on how savvy you were with your money, the lifestyle you chose comparable to your income and budgeting your finances with "paying yourself" as the first priority.
Of course there are those with kids that saved. DH and I are in that group. However, the poster was talking about retiring at 52 (I believe) w/o kids. I don't think there are too many people with kids who do early retirement.

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Anecdote =/= data.
Anecdote = your $1,500 rent

1,767 posts, read 2,347,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

I agree with you about the wasteful spending. My husband and I had no kids, but we never made much money...and were still able to retire at age 52---and with no pensions and with having to pay insurance out of pocket.

But while I agree with you about the self-discipline and don't want to get into a battle over religion, if it takes "God's blessings" to do it, then a good number of people are in trouble because God doesn't seem to bless everyone, or at least definitely not equally with things like health, decent and stable jobs, and yes, the intellect and wherewithal to make good decisions!

Never underestimate the importance of God, religion and morality in your personal finances.

There was a period in my life when I was living a less than Godly lifestyle. I was not being a good steward.

In other words, I was young and dumb and broke.

As my lifestyle became more moral and focused, my financial situation improved.

When God saw I could now manage money prudently, He gave me more to manage.

America as a nation has followed a similar pattern... only in reverse.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Perhaps housing might finally become affordable for the poor and near poor?
They'll have to be/have roommates. Why? Same as I posted in the other thread...

Especially for those who rent in the highly taxed blue states, what you need to understand is that your landlord has high ownership expenses in part because of their very high property tax bill. Those high costs are passed on to you, the renter.

So... in essence... your rent is high because you're getting exactly what you voted for: a bloated, costly government that provides expensive social services. Pay teachers more? More money for schools? Etc., etc... That's a property tax increase, which in turn makes your rent increase.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They'll have to be/have roommates. Why? Same as I posted in the other thread...

Especially for those who rent in the highly taxed blue states, what you need to understand is that your landlord has high ownership expenses in part because of their very high property tax bill. Those high costs are passed on to you, the renter.

So... in essence... your rent is high because you're getting exactly what you voted for: a bloated, costly government that provides expensive social services. Pay teachers more? More money for schools? Etc., etc... That's a property tax increase, which in turn makes your rent increase.
Connecting the dots is very difficult for some people. They honestly do not seem to see the connection between an entitlement attitude and how it affects the economy in general.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Connecting the dots is very difficult for some people. They honestly do not seem to see the connection between an entitlement attitude and how it affects the economy in general.
True they here the word "free", believe it, shuting their brain cells off.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Real world now. The failed Conservative economic theory of the Repub. party has taken its toll on the economy and on the saving's of a large #of my fellow boomers had.
So Mr. Steal your pension and load you with debt Romney can make his hundreds of millions while the boomers sat back and said "don't worry it will trickle down". So he was able to pay about 14% on his income plus you don't know if he paid any taxes in 2007 or 2008.
He also wants to start taxing the people who will now fall into lower incomes with his backing of the Ryan Budget. The Republican party is showing that they do not want to govern, only make sure that the rich pay less taxes and steal as many assets as they can. They are starting to talk more and more about the fiscal cliff because they need to keep Cheney's Haliburton on corporate welfare. Its hard to believe but such is our system.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Sorry, but I'm not naive enough to think that wealthy Democrats, and independents, both in office and in private industry, don't have EXACTLY the same personal goals!

History has shown us that great wealth, when redistributed by war, or revolution, or even simply social change, still ends up in the hands of a few. Generally the ones with more sophisticated methods of killing others.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So you want people living on the streets with nothing?
Social Security is a safety net.
What do you expect people to do, kill themselves?

Nobody said they wanted people to live on the streets with nothing.

So you think the only solution to any problem is more government? Wake up! There are lots of other solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies