Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We are also the ones that spoiled the next generation rotten.
I was against both Gulf wars and afghanistan.
I am for a line item veto
I am for jailing corrupt politicians in max security prisons general population.

Those are all good except I didn't spoil my children.

And I would add ALL wars to your list including the war on drugs and the war on poverty...total waste with results worse than doing nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much would you save if you had a minimum wage job and did not own your home?

I would not work for minimum wages. I would find a better paying job and save.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
Public schools should teach personal finance, but most of them don't.

And if they did, heaven knows how badly they would misteach it.

However, there is good information out there on personal finance for those who self-educate.
Unfortunately, most Americans prefer a steady diet of American Idol and Dancing with the Stars,
mindless entertainment rather than anything educational.

Correct. But most have parents who should be teaching their children how to live.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:48 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I would not work for minimum wages. I would find a better paying job and save.
Because you would, everyone can?
Is that what you're saying.
Then you must think that everyone has the same abilities and skills.
Is this true?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
"The specter of downward mobility in retirement..."
That right there tells me the articles is heavily slanted sensationalism not worth reading.

There's never been any such thing as upward mobility in retirement. That should be obvious by the fact that people eliminate a huge source of income....the second they retire.

Avoiding propaganda...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The days of multi-generational homes will have to make a comeback as the younger generation will have to help support their aging parents. That part of it is not necessarily a totally bad thing.
And what's wrong with that? That's the way it is on Earth outside of America.

Wondering....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Couldn't the federal government just impose a tax on people that don't save for retirement. Same as they will for health insurance. Because we will all end up paying for people that don't save. Isn't that the rationale behind the tax for not having health insurance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This government sissy nanny state crap is exactly the problem. It's not the governments job to save for their retirement, or their job to tax them for bad behaviors. If you want to punish them, just come out and do it instead of doing stupid piddly taxes. If you want to encourage savings, you let the people deal with their own retirement. When the younger generation is stuck dealing with their parents, who have nothing saved for retirement, maybe it will encourage them to start saving.
I take it neither of you understands the meaning of "consumer economy."

Your economy revolves entirely around spending, especially around deficit spending -- HELOCs, credit cards and such.

Save money, and you increase the unemployment rate. This is mostly a life-style choice by Americans and has nothing to do with anything else.

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot have a growing economy and simultaneously save money.

Economically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How many of these people were "saving" the equity in their houses instead of at really low interest rates? The crash in housing prices both impoverished a high number of near retirement folks also produced bargains for young families.
Housing prices did not crash. Housing prices were grotesquely over-inflated and are merely returning to their actual true market values.

If people don't understand economics, that's not my fault, and they ought not be buying an house in the first place. And if they insist upon buying one, then they ought not burn up the equity with their HELOC and getting 2nd and 3rd Mortgages to consolidate their credit card debt.

The reason to buy an house is not to have an asset, or equity or as an investment.

You buy an house to fix your living expenses. People who buy an house for any other reason are just plain wrong, and I should not be on the hook using my tax-dollars to guarantee their mortgage through the government.

The reason to purchase home is easily understood here. My parents' mortgage was $79/month. When I rented my first apartment 15 years later at $150/month, my parents were still paying $79/month. When I returned to the US 10 years later, I was paying $350/month for an apartment, but my parents were still paying $79/month. I left the US and came back and I rented a place for $400/month and my parents? They paid nothing -- since they had paid off their mortgage.

That's the reason people bought homes in the US, to fix their living expenses.

Financially...

Mircea

Quote:
We already do that. It's called social security and we all know how well that's working out. And yes, it's the same as Obamacare.... more big Nanny State. We need to eliminate the Nanny State, not expand it.
There's nothing wrong with Social Security, other than the way it is administered.

It is an insurance plan. That is why it's called Old Age and Survivor's Insurance (OASI).

It is not a retirement plan; not a pension plan; not a money market account; not an hedge fund; not a 401(k) account; and not savings plan. It is a basic maintenance plan, and nothing more.

The concept is wholly consistent with ultra-conservative philosophy, which focuses heavily on family and community. If you do a Cost-Benefit Analysis, the cost of not having such an insurance plan is far greater than having such a plan; and having such a plan provides benefits that outweigh not having such a plan.

The error is having the pseudo-federal government involved in the plan. There is no Constitutional basis for the pseudo-federal government to be involved, and even if someone gets ignorant with the misinterpreted "General Welfare" [sic] clause, it totally defies logic and reason.

Two persons, both receiving $1,175/month in Social Security benefits, yet one is having the time of their life, and the other is in totally misery -- because of the difference in cost-of-living around the US.

That is appalling, but *******s think that is really funny, that one person is enjoying their retirement, while the other suffers, but then *******s aren't that bright and they enjoy people suffering, because they think they get votes for it.

If the States each administered their own Social Security plan, then the States could set the premium relative to the cost-of-living. And yes, that might result in someone getting $1,800 while a person in another State gets $900/month....yet both are enjoying the same quality of life.

*******s are, well, retarded and they can't see that...all they see is that someone is "getting more" than someone else -- you know, the typical Penis Envy and Butt-implant Envy *******s have. *******s are just way too stupid to understand that $1,800 there = $900 here.

Also note that if States managed it, you could have a basic plan, and then a mid-level plan and also a Cadillac plan for those who choose that.

Even so, ideally, the State should do nothing more than mandate a minimum percentage deduction, have it deposited into the financial institution of the employee's choice, and then let the employee manipulate it as they see fit, while simultaneously protecting that account from seizure by tax agencies, creditors, judgments, alimony, child-support and others.

Life is a gamble, and the best way to hedge your bet against a gamble is through insurance.

Constitutionally...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
But, as the article stated, older employees are often laid off and when that happens they can not get jobs and if they do manage to get employment, it is usually at a much lower salary.
And that just started happening yesterday, right?

Quizzically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Another sad fact is that Americans got thrown into 401Ks with very little education. "Here's your brochure. We picked out some funds. Go forth and invest for your future."
Couldn't rep you for that, but you hit on a very important point that is over-looked. It is absurd to expect someone who doesn't understand investments to actually do something with their 401(k) and manipulate it to their advantage.

Not buying stocks....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
In the Southeast and Middle America, 2 bedroom rents are easiuly available for $800-$1,000.

You were saying?
What? They are $550/month here. Maybe $650 in the Gaslight District (which is quite nice).

Low-renting....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much would you save if you had a minimum wage job and did not own your home?
Why can't you buy an home on minimum wage?

If you cannot buy an home on minimum wage, then you need to move to someplace in the US where you can buy an home on minimum wage, and there are many, many places. Cincinnati is one of them.

Sensibly....

Mircea

Old 07-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Real world now. The failed Conservative economic theory of the Repub. party has taken its toll on the economy and on the saving's of a large #of my fellow boomers had.
So Mr. Steal your pension and load you with debt Romney can make his hundreds of millions while the boomers sat back and said "don't worry it will trickle down". So he was able to pay about 14% on his income plus you don't know if he paid any taxes in 2007 or 2008.
He also wants to start taxing the people who will now fall into lower incomes with his backing of the Ryan Budget. The Republican party is showing that they do not want to govern, only make sure that the rich pay less taxes and steal as many assets as they can. They are starting to talk more and more about the fiscal cliff because they need to keep Cheney's Haliburton on corporate welfare. Its hard to believe but such is our system.

So you prefer to give our tax dollars to Solyndra, GM and rich people like Warren Buffett?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:53 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Can it with the sky daddy stuff.
Apparently your invisible sky daddy didn't shine on others.
Not everyone has the opportunities you apparently did.
Instead of being grateful for what you have, you diminish it by demeaning others.

Hatred is not moral.

I will always glorify the God of Israel, Jesus Christ.

btw... you might want to read what God's favorite, David, had to say about hatred and God's enemies.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:

btw... you might want to read what God's favorite, David, had to say about hatred and God's enemies.
So hatred is moral? Who knew.

There's no proof for invisible sky daddies.
If there were, I'm sure you'd post it.
Otherwise it's just a fig newton of your hallucinations.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,648 times
Quote:

Correct. But most have parents who should be teaching their children how to live.

True,

But, unfortunately, most parents haven't a clue either.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:

Whats the old saying about religion and politics? Oh well they dont mix anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies