Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

Some of that 75% may be disabled, have huge medical bills or other uncontrollable issues that prevent them from saving.

But I don't understand why the average American can't be disciplined enough to live below his means and save for both
a rainy day and retirement.

From the article:

Just as a voluntary Social Security system would have been a disaster, a voluntary retirement account plan is a disaster.

Most folk do not have the discipline to live at, let alone below their means.

This is not a new phenomena According to AARP 25% of current seniors are lively on Social Security alone. In Florida, it's 1/3. Seniors are the greatest users of Section 8.

1 in 3 Florida retirees on Social Security depend solely on govt checks - Sun Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM

59,164 posts, read 27,361,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
From the article:

Just as a voluntary Social Security system would have been a disaster, a voluntary retirement account plan is a disaster.

This is not a new phenomena According to AARP 25% of current seniors are lively on Social Security alone. In Florida, it's 1/3. Seniors are the greatest users of Section 8.

1 in 3 Florida retirees on Social Security depend solely on govt checks - Sun Sentinel
" According to AARP 25% of current seniors are lively on Social Security alone."

To be fare I have no respect for AARP.

Having said that, if 25% are, then 75% are NOT.

IRA's were created in 1974, I believe. There are very few who couldn't have saved something in all those years unless they retired before '74.

In retrospect, instead of the SS system if workers were forced to save even, plus the employee contribution, in U.S Savings Bonds they would be better off today then with SS.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,503,810 times
I find the title to be BS

since 90% of all companies offer some type of 401k, and anyone working more than 10 years would have more than 30k is savings (you really cant touch the 401k money until retirment time anyhow, with out paying an IRS penalty)

hmmm guy making 60k a year....contriutes 5% (plus gets company matching (((but we WON'T count that))))

that's 3k a year....10 years to have saved 30k (and its INVESTED so its GROWING all the time)

would have 30k in 5 years if they contribute 10% (even less with employer matching)

Old 04-25-2013, 01:50 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,714,613 times
Less than half of 401(k) plans offer company match.

Many 401(k) accounts invested as per general recommendations regarding asset allocation by age lost value over certain periods during this past decade.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough;29292094
In retrospect, instead of the SS system [B
if workers were forced to [/b]save even, plus the employee contribution, in U.S Savings Bonds they would be better off today then with SS.
Being forced to save is the key. Left on their own, too many would have nothing.

SS Payroll taxes were invested in U.S. Savings Bonds backed by government IOUs.

As an aside, bonds are callable, meaning the issuer ( Treasury in this case) pays off the debt early when interest rates decline.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:08 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,503,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

Many 401(k) accounts invested as per general recommendations regarding asset allocation by age lost value over certain periods during this past decade.
yes they may have lost a little

but they made it all back already plus

and if they were smart they would have increase their investment back when the dow dipped to 6k

I used to just send my standard 10% (with my company matching 5%)....money invested in 07...lost some...money invested back in 1995 when the dows was 3k...increased ALOT...08/09 when the bottom fell out UPPED the contribution to 15%...those shares bought at dow6k...have DOUBLED in less than 4 years as the dow is now back to 14k

my 401k..over 190k and growing...and I only make 60k...many of my peers make make a lot more than I (since I am a government worker)

for a title of a thread to say that 75% of all workers near retirement age(meaning have worked and saved for AT LEAST 20 years) have less than 30k saved...I call malarky

Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,657,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The median income in this nation is $26,324, which is $12.66 that's not much higher than minimum wage. 66% of all American workers earn less than $39,900.

In fact, 75% of all working adults 50-64 make less than $52,000 a year.

The vast majority of people don't make enough money to live, have children, pay for health care, buy a home, and save for retirement.

This is the problem with these 401k plans, they were set up for people with very high incomes. They were not designed for people making $35,000 a year.

Simply saying people should try harder ignores the fatal flaw in using 401k plans as the primary retirement vehicle.

It is a failure for the vast majority of workers.

IRA retirement accounts are worse than 401k plans for retirement.

This ^^^^

When so many people are unprepared for retirement, it's not the fault of individuals. It's a systemic problem. Not to mention that we are slowly emerging from the worst recession since the Great Depression.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,657,806 times
Quote:
Being forced to save is the key. Left on their own, too many would have nothing.

SS Payroll taxes were invested in U.S. Savings Bonds backed by government IOUs.

As an aside, bonds are callable, meaning the issuer ( Treasury in this case) pays off the debt early when interest rates decline.
It's just really hard to save when you are barely making ends meet. And that is the case for many American families.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I find the title to be BS

since 90% of all companies offer some type of 401k, and anyone working more than 10 years would have more than 30k is savings (you really cant touch the 401k money until retirment time anyhow, with out paying an IRS penalty)

hmmm guy making 60k a year....contriutes 5% (plus gets company matching (((but we WON'T count that))))

that's 3k a year....10 years to have saved 30k (and its INVESTED so its GROWING all the time)

would have 30k in 5 years if they contribute 10% (even less with employer matching)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

According to this, many companies are once again offering a match.

Recovery sign: Employers are contributing to 401(k)s again - Business on NBCNews.com

Over the years I have lost track of people I knew who who prematurely withdrew 401K monies and ate the penalty. Then there were the people who borrowed against their 401K for a down payment. Leaving a job for any reason means the 401K loan has to be repaid in full, chop-chop. Failure to repay creates a tax liability including penalty for the former employee. There are some very sad cases where people were laid off and the current market balance of the funds remaining within their 401K were not sufficient to pay the tax liability all the while, the value of their home was declining.

And then there were the folk in self directed IRAs who invested in real estate.

Bankruptcy does not eliminate obligations to the IRS.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,212,643 times
Quote:
From the article:

If a person doesn't have the self-discipline to save for retirement, then they should work into old age and not retire. Why do we reward bad behavior at the expense of the people who are responsible enough to save for themselves?

We should make SS voluntary and if that means 1/3 of people still have to work when they are 75 years old, then that is their fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies