Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 01:50 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/op...etirement.html

How is this country supposed to deal with these peoples mismanagement of their lives? This is going to have dramatic effects on a ton of things
Wow, my 26 year old daughter has more than that in her 401K already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 01:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Just in case this was not a rhetorical question:

-Google '401k calculator' and take your pick of the top 10 results.
-Then plug in:
$15,000 annual salary (full time minimum wage with 2 weeks unpaid vacation = 2000hrs x $7.25)
5% contribution (works out to about 15 dollars a week)
75% employer match
Starting age = 16
Starting value = $0
Retirement age = 65
Annual rate of return = 5%
Expected annual salary increase = 1%

The amount in this hypothetical account at age 65 will be over $300,000. Play with the numbers a little - it is enlightening.

Compound interest is a powerful thing, but of course you need some discipline too. So in response to your post - Saving $15 per week is not unreasonable, and I think a minimum wage employee should definitely be able to contribute to a 401K.
Excellent post. It will go unnoticed as it defies all "truth" we have been told about min wage workers.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:52 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
If by 40 they dont get that they need to save for retirement they deserve their fate.
I'm in my 40s. With only a HS education I spent my 20s in low wage dead end jobs. I always lived frugal, no debt, but there was not a lot of money anyways. I always had a small savings acct.

In my 30s I got divorced (not my choice). Then I decided to put myself through college and have a decent STEM degree (no student loans). I now have a decent job but only make 30k. I have saved 20k by now since I graduated in 2009!

My mom is healthy in her 80s. Her mother lived well until 99! No way will I ever be able to afford to live that long. Someday I may have to decide when to say when so I am not a burden on the rest of ya.

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
My 20 yr old nephew has an IRA. I made him open one when he went to work for me during summers while in high school.

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/op...etirement.html

How is this country supposed to deal with these peoples mismanagement of their lives? This is going to have dramatic effects on a ton of things
I plan on buying their houses for pennies on the dollar when they hit hard times after retirement and renting it back to them for a profit. These are the idiots who have big fancy boats on the rivers and drive Cadillacs.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's still up to the employee to learn how to manage their own money. If advisors and educational material is made available no employer can be held to blame.
My employer offers a 401k but no match. The company the 401k is through offers plenty of advice and education, but I'm skeptical of how biased it might be. How to I find totally unbiased advice on how to invest a 401k? How do I know who to trust?

The stock market seems like an ok place to put your extra and fun money, but a risky place to put money you might need someday.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That right there tells me the articles is heavily slanted sensationalism not worth reading.

There's never been any such thing as upward mobility in retirement. That should be obvious by the fact that people eliminate a huge source of income....the second they retire.

Avoiding propaganda...

Mircea

Au contraire, mon frere!

There is indeed upward mobility in retirement...

(This newspaper letter-to-the-editor employs union spin, but the relevant part (found through Google) notes a government finding of upward mobility in retirement.)

In PERS' summary of their June 2010 Replacement Ratio Study, they state:
"Average salary replacement ratio:
For all retirees from 1990-2009, the average annual retirement benefit equaled 55% of final salary at the time of retirement.
For 2009 retirees, the average annual retirement benefit equaled 53% of final salary.
For all retirees from 1990-2009, there were 7.9% who received annual benefits more than 100% of final salary. The average years of service for this group was 31 years.
For 2009 retirees, there were 6.2% who received annual benefits more than 100% of final salary. The average years of service for this group was 32 years ."

http://www.oregonafscme.com/index.cfm?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=226346

Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have never had an employer match available. And I can't make that 5% contribution because I have a student loan payment more than 2x whhat that 5% contribution would require.
I realize there are many people that really can't save $15/week, but I also believe there are many people that can but choose not to. 1 trip to Starbucks and 1 trip to McDonalds (or any other fastfood place) would add up to be about $15.

I redid the numbers with 0 employer contribution and it still works out to $175,000 at age 65.
Then if you drop the contribution to about $8.60 (3%) per week you end up with $105,000 at age 65.

I think a lot of people in this country just don't try hard enough - I mean this is the USA where even the poor people are obese. Here are some other ways to scrape together $8.60 to $15.00 per week: Dropping to a basic or prepaid cell phone plan, buying all store brand groceries, using coupons, don't go out to eat - ever, don't buy name-brand anything, don't see movies at the theater (this one might even save your life) - check them out at the public library, go to the dollar theater, don't buy a PS3/Xbox/Wii/3DS/etc or the games ... there are many others.

(freemkt: I'm speaking generally - not directly about your specific situation, which I know nothing about. I hope you don't take anything I'm saying personally)

Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
My employer offers a 401k but no match. The company the 401k is through offers plenty of advice and education, but I'm skeptical of how biased it might be. How to I find totally unbiased advice on how to invest a 401k? How do I know who to trust?

The stock market seems like an ok place to put your extra and fun money, but a risky place to put money you might need someday.
401Ks have a special fund. It's the equivalent of an insured money market fund.
My 401K is with Fidelity and their fund is called the Stable Fund. Basically a money market with underlying insurance to protect your principal. Invests in Treasuries and such.

Your best bet is to google 401K and read as much as possible on it.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Excellent post. It will go unnoticed as it defies all "truth" we have been told about min wage workers.

Nope, I noticed it, and replied accordingly.

I have never had an employer match available. And I can't make that 5% contribution because I have a student loan payment more than 2x what that 5% contribution would require.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies