Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so by you own numbers you have AT LEAST 70k saved

??? I have squat saved, the most I've ever made in one year is $17K - less that half of $35,000 - and my average annual income is not quite $15K..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:02 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Quote:
While we will continue to get closer and closer to a society without poverty, and make great strides toward ameliorating the offensive aspects of living in poverty in our society, it'll be an iterative thing.
That sounds nice. However, do you honestly believe that all people will become responsible, unselfish, industrious, or generous over time?
Perhaps you want to read what you replied to again, and rephrase your question. I believe what you probably meant to ask was, "Do you honestly believe that MOST people will become MORE responsible, unselfish, industrious, or generous over time?" Answer: Yes

That black-and-white way of viewing things will bite you in the butt every time Kathryn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Is it ironic that Reverend Martin Luther King Jr might very well disagree with you?
He surely wouldn't have agreed with your offensive position in this discussion.

Quote:
More excuse making.
More over-the-top self-serving misdirection.

Quote:
The NY Times article says that 49% of Middle Class people will retire poor or near poor. There is no excuse for 49% of middle class people to retire in or near poverty.
"An edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote:
There is something wrong with our culture when people are praised for making poor financial choices while others excuse those poor choices and hurl accusations at bogeymen, which merely justifies and reinforces more poor choices.
No one praises anyone for making poor financial choices, or excuses them. You just made that up because you had no way to legitimately counter what I wrote. Tsk tsk.

"An edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Dr. King was talking about jobs - plentiful, well-paying jobs - well-paying because they reflect a more righteous sharing of the profits from work done between the employers and employees, that actually afford workers the resources to actually save for retirement as your petulant expectations would demand, instead of living hand-to-mouth hoping to pay "most" of their bills each month. Dr. King challenged capitalism to become more compassionate and moral. This even found its way into the Republican lexicon, as compassionate conservatism, but unfortunately, in the battle for the GOP between compassionate conservatism and selfish, egoistic greed-mongers, the latter won. That's what's promulgating these same problems Dr. King spoke about fifty years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Maybe you should listen to your heart instead of what is written by some one else in a study bible.
And what you're saying is that your heart tells you to be callous? That your religion teaches you to scorn your neighbors and lord over them based on their misfortune? What is it that you're actually trying to say there?

Quote:
This is about choices. Don't be a part of the problem and make excuses for poor choices.
Putting aside that if it were all that easy then there wouldn't be a problem (freemkt has already burst that bubble of yours), what part of the solution are you trying to be? Assuming that everyone who isn't financially successful in our society was in that position because of the nasty behaviors you so callously and carelessly ascribe to them, then what is your solution to the societal problem? What do you, as a self-defined worthy member of society, propose society actually do, in detail, to alleviate this situation? How would you ensure that the kinds of behaviors that you think would address the concern are conducted?

Of course, it's academic, because life is far more than money, and money is far more complex than the Randian fantasy would allow for.

Last edited by bUU; 04-29-2013 at 03:26 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 AM

26,489 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm saying that minimum wage workers have a hard enough time paying the rent on time - forget about buying a house - and keeping food on the table, that I don't expect them to invest $1 a day...especially if they start out in the hole with student loans, or if they have extended periods of not being able to work and thus having no income.
Why on earth would minimum wage workers have student loans?

If someone has a college education and spends their entire life on minimum wage - then they have serious issues that they need to address with themselves.

People in all spectrums are making choices. The majority of people in poverty have cable tv - have a cell phone - have a DVD player - have internet access - have a video game system... Choices are being made at all levels to allocate money towards non-essential items.

The fact that the NY Times is claiming that 49% - HALF of all Middle Class people will retire in or near poverty is sign of these bad choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
He surely wouldn't have agreed with your offensive position in this discussion.

More over-the-top self-serving misdirection.

No one praises anyone for making poor financial choices, or excuses them. You just made that up because you had no way to legitimately counter what I wrote. Tsk tsk.

Dr. King was talking about jobs - plentiful, well-paying jobs - well-paying because they reflect a more righteous sharing of the profits from work done between the employers and employees, that actually afford workers the resources to actually save for retirement as your petulant expectations would demand, instead of living hand-to-mouth hoping to pay "most" of their bills each month. Dr. King challenged capitalism to become more compassionate and moral. This even found its way into the Republican lexicon, as compassionate conservatism, but unfortunately, in the battle for the GOP between compassionate conservatism and selfish, egoistic greed-mongers, the latter won. That's what's promulgating these same problems Dr. King spoke about fifty years ago.

And what you're saying is that your heart tells you to be callous? That your religion teaches you to scorn your neighbors and lord over them based on their misfortune? What is it that you're actually trying to say there?

Putting aside that if it were all that easy then there wouldn't be a problem (freemkt has already burst that bubble of yours), what part of the solution are you trying to be? Assuming that everyone who isn't financially successful in our society was in that position because of the nasty behaviors you so callously and carelessly ascribe to them, then what is your solution to the societal problem? What do you, as a self-defined worthy member of society, propose society actually do, in detail, to alleviate this situation? How would you ensure that the kinds of behaviors that you think would address the concern are conducted?

Of course, it's academic, because life is far more than money, and money is far more complex than the Randian fantasy would allow for.
#1 Don't be a baby...you are "offended" that I suggest that a REVEREND "might" consider Jesus's words better than his own. Grow up.

#2 Don't assume what MLK would and wouldn't like in 2013. You don't know.

MLK also spoke of doing your job to the best of your ability and being responsible. Being responsible clearly isn't happening.

It seems to me like you might be someone making bad financial choices - and you don't want to look in the mirror so you point to others as the fault of your own poor lot in life.

For 75% of Americans to have less than $30,000 in retirement accounts is a shame upon our buy it now culture.

$1 a day put into CDs would have yielded over $100K for a guy 18 to 65 years of age today. The S&P 500 index fund with a dollar a day would have yielded over 290K. It comes down to personal choices and you justify poor choices, because it is easier to blame others.

Whatever your life's work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better.

A nation or civilization that continues to produce softminded men purchases its own spiritual death on the installment plan.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:45 AM
bUU

Quote:
Why on earth would minimum wage workers have student loans?
Heaven forbid that they presume to aspire to the kind of life you and I enjoy.

Quote:
Don't be a baby...
Don't be a name-caller.
Quote:
you are "offended" that I suggest that a REVEREND "might" consider Jesus's words better than his own. Grow up.
The fact that you resort to rude grandstanding rather that quoting Dr. King's own word to defend your indefensible nonsense is very telling. Dr. King made very clear, in his own words, that your perversion of Jesus' word is without merit.

Face it: You have no defense for your indefensibly immoral perspective. It is you who needs to grow up and stop presuming that the world revolves around you, and that everyone who's circumstances are deficient are miscreants.

Quote:
MLK also spoke of doing your job to the best of your ability and being responsible. Being responsible clearly isn't happening.
Just restating your claim doesn't add it any credibility. Your offensive presumption that half to three quarters of Americans are irresponsible people is ridiculous.

Quote:
It seems to me like you might be someone making bad financial choices
It seems to me like you might be someone making vacuous comments and desperately scrambling to defend your immoral and otherwise corrupted perspectives. How about you stick to the topic instead of engaging in childish casting of aspersions at other posters (especially posters who may be no different from you other than the fact that I'm directing a moral perspective toward you)?

Quote:
It comes down to personal choices and you justify poor choices, because it is easier to blame others.
Who am I blaming? I'm blaming all of us, including myself. Meanwhile, you're blaming those who have been less fortunate than you, refusing to take personal accountability for your portion of the responsibility for the fact that our society is twice as economically unjust as it was a generation ago. Who's making personal choices that are making this worse for those least fortunate? Those who place their own personal greed over what's fair and just. That's who.

Again: The majority of those 75% are upstanding people who simply haven't been as lucky as you. Stop spewing your vacuous vitriol at them, and start adopting a more moral perspective toward their circumstances.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I guess the 25% that did save will have a comfortable retirement.
The 75% that were "unlucky" get to live on government welfare programs.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:00 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess the 25% that did save will have a comfortable retirement.
The 75% that were "unlucky" get to live on government welfare programs.
I think that's the question, isn't it? Isn't the whole point of the immoral "let's bash the poorer people" perspective -- to advocate for eviscerating whatever would otherwise be there as a buffer against those less fortunate dying prematurely due to inadequate satisfaction of basic needs? Isn't that really the reason for callously marginalizing those who aren't able to get ahead in our society, even when society is structured to ensure that a certain percentage (a percentage that has doubled in a generation) will fail to succeed regardless of their efforts?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think that's the question, isn't it? Isn't the whole point of the immoral "let's bash the poorer people" perspective -- to advocate for eviscerating whatever would otherwise be there as a buffer against those less fortunate dying prematurely due to inadequate satisfaction of basic needs? Isn't that really the reason for callously marginalizing those who aren't able to get ahead in our society, even when society is structured to ensure that a certain percentage (a percentage that has doubled in a generation) will fail to succeed regardless of their efforts?
Well that's a pretty big percentage (75%) and shows that Americans truly don't have their priorities in order.

We are called "consumers" and our economy needs people spending on "stuff" to keep it going.
Can't save and spend at the same time..can you ?

The US has a history of little savings and I think it got worse when we turned from a producer nation into a consumer nation.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 AM
bUU

Quote:
Well that's a pretty big percentage (75%) and shows that Americans truly don't have their priorities in order.
That much is certain. However, the number is so large that it shows that the failure is with the system, not with individuals. And again, the fact that economic inequality has doubled in a generation very clearly points out the nature of the failure.

Quote:
We are called "consumers" and our economy needs people spending on "stuff" to keep it going. Can't save and spend at the same time..can you ?
You also cannot employ workers, or have a fighting chance of paying them a reasonable salary, if consumers go away. There is no faster way to nuke the economy than to reduce consumer spending. So the challenge is to come up with a way of changing the system, so that you don't flush human beings down the toilet just to make your math work, and adjust the whole system so that all the energy goes toward fostering and capitalizing on more than enough opportunities to pay your own way in society.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
This means then, presumably, that there will be a substantial senior representation among the homeless.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 AM
bUU

Let's hope it doesn't get that bad. Let's hope that selfishness and avarice are pushed back rather than prevail utterly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies