Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:09 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered since Obama blames everyone and everything other than himself for the economy (he's blamed the tsunami, earthquakes, Europe, Bush, etc), IF he did win re-election, who would he have to blame then?

--------------------------------

Voters blame Obama and Washington for the current economy.

Nearly twice as many voters blame Barack Obama over George W. Bush for the current economy.

The Hill reported:Two-thirds of likely voters say the weak economy is Washington’s fault, and more blame President Obama than anybody else, according to a new poll for The Hill.

It found that 66 percent believe paltry job growth and slow economic recovery is the result of bad policy. Thirty-four percent say Obama is the most to blame, followed by 23 percent who say Congress is the culprit. Twenty percent point the finger at Wall Street, and 18 percent cite former President George W. Bush.

The results highlight the reelection challenge Obama faces amid dissatisfaction with his first-term performance on the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:18 AM

957 posts, read 758,154 times
Since we're going to cherry pick from the article, let's add this.

"While voters feel Obama carries a greater portion of the blame than others, the poll found almost 6-in-10 are unhappy with the actions of Republicans in Congress who have challenged the president on an array of policy initiatives.
Fifty-seven percent of voters said congressional Republicans have impeded the recovery with their policies, and only 30 percent overall believe the GOP has done the right things to boost the economy".

"If there is a silver lining for Obama in the poll results, it’s that centrist voters, who may well decide the 2012 outcome, tend to blame Republicans in Congress more than the president for hindering a more robust recovery.
Twenty-six percent of centrists cited Congress as most to blame for U.S. economic woes, compared to 20 percent who blame Obama.
Similarly, 53 percent of centrists said Obama has taken the right actions as president to boost the economy, compared with 38 percent who said he had taken the wrong steps."

Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
I don't blame the President for a down period in the capitalist cycle. No one else would do any better, and I credit him for continuing Bush's policies that kept the world from complete collapse. This economy is not just his, but ours. If anyone is sitting around waiting for anybody else to get us out of the morass we are in, well you deserve the situation you are in. Get off your ass and do something for yourself.

I do not credit his leadership. Being professorial is not inspirational leadership. He cannot get us through these troubled times alone (no one should expect that), but he can lead and encourage us to solve it on our own, and he hasn't done that.

Saying that, Governor Romney hasn't shown the inspirational leadership skills either IMHO.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
The article also includes:

Quote:
While voters feel Obama carries a greater portion of the blame than others, the poll found almost 6-in-10 are unhappy with the actions of Republicans in Congress who have challenged the president on an array of policy initiatives.

Fifty-seven percent of voters said congressional Republicans have impeded the recovery with their policies, and only 30 percent overall believe the GOP has done the right things to boost the economy.
For those interested, the actual title of the article is: The Hill Poll: Majority of voters blame president for bad economy

Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The article also includes:

For those interested, the actual title of the article is: The Hill Poll: Majority of voters blame president for bad economy
And the LINK was in the OP.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Since we're going to cherry pick from the article, let's add this.

"While voters feel Obama carries a greater portion of the blame than others, the poll found almost 6-in-10 are unhappy with the actions of Republicans in Congress who have challenged the president on an array of policy initiatives.
Fifty-seven percent of voters said congressional Republicans have impeded the recovery with their policies, and only 30 percent overall believe the GOP has done the right things to boost the economy".

"If there is a silver lining for Obama in the poll results, it’s that centrist voters, who may well decide the 2012 outcome, tend to blame Republicans in Congress more than the president for hindering a more robust recovery.
Twenty-six percent of centrists cited Congress as most to blame for U.S. economic woes, compared to 20 percent who blame Obama.
Similarly, 53 percent of centrists said Obama has taken the right actions as president to boost the economy, compared with 38 percent who said he had taken the wrong steps."

Just to point out the point of this OP......

Obama tends to blame everyone and everything EXCEPT himself for the economy. We've heard that it was due to Europe, a tsunami, earthquakes, Bush, etc.

I was pointing out that no matter who he's tried to blame, the American people see HIM as the prime culprit....and especially not BUSH.

I thought I made that pretty clear in the OP when I said: " have always wondered since Obama blames everyone and everything other than himself for the economy (he's blamed the tsunami, earthquakes, Europe, Bush, etc), IF he did win re-election, who would he have to blame then?"

Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post

Obama tends to blame everyone and everything EXCEPT himself for the economy. We've heard that it was due to Europe, a tsunami, earthquakes, Bush, etc.

I was pointing out that no matter who he's tried to blame, the American people see HIM as the prime culprit....and especially not BUSH.

I thought I made that pretty clear in the OP when I said: " have always wondered since Obama blames everyone and everything other than himself for the economy (he's blamed the tsunami, earthquakes, Europe, Bush, etc), IF he did win re-election, who would he have to blame then?"
You are correct.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:02 PM

957 posts, read 758,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post

Did you know that Ronald Reagan was still blaming Carter in 1984?

Gallup polling also suggests that the majority of Americans agree with President Obama.
Excerpt>
"PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans continue to place more blame for the nation's economic problems on George W. Bush than on Barack Obama, even though Bush left office more than three years ago. The relative economic blame given to Bush versus Obama today is virtually the same as it was last September."
Americans Still Blame Bush More Than Obama for Bad Economy

I might add that President Obama has had to work with a Congress in which the Republicans number one priority is to make him a one term president. Wouldn't you think their number one priority would be to work on improving the economy & creating jobs?

What if Romney were to become president & the Democrats made it their number one priority that he be a one term president & blocked him at every turn. Would you hold Romney responsible for a bad economy?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Did you know that Ronald Reagan was still blaming Carter in 1984?

Gallup polling also suggests that the majority of Americans agree with President Obama.
Excerpt>
"PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans continue to place more blame for the nation's economic problems on George W. Bush than on Barack Obama, even though Bush left office more than three years ago. The relative economic blame given to Bush versus Obama today is virtually the same as it was last September."
Americans Still Blame Bush More Than Obama for Bad Economy

I might add that President Obama has had to work with a Congress in which the Republicans number one priority is to make him a one term president. Wouldn't you think their number one priority would be to work on improving the economy & creating jobs?

What if Romney were to become president & the Democrats made it their number one priority that he be a one term president & blocked him at every turn. Would you hold Romney responsible for a bad economy?
I would have thought that Obama's #1 priority would have been to pass a balanced budget when he had the solid majority in both senate and congress. Of we all know why he didn't. If he had he never could have forced Obama care on everyone.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Obama himself said that if he hadn't turned things around by now that voters would be justified in blaming him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies