Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:07 PM

35 posts, read 54,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Actually, it means anyone who owns stocks is getting richer. And that would be about half the popluation, if you include mutual funds. Today, that happy sound you heard was a whole lotta folks getting a whole lot richer.

Darn Bush.
I love it! You made my day then!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:09 PM

35 posts, read 54,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
"What's good for corporate America's what's good for all of us," right? It'll all trickle down.
No offense, but I think I'll take the advice of Yeledaf first.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:27 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Well if you consider that a lot of those stocks are a huge indicator of how well American companies are doing, and that American companies doing well is good for the economy, you don't have to break out a calculator and worry about stock ownership percentages.
Well, not exactly, and I say this as a long time investor who hopes the stock market continues to perform well. American companies can do well independent of the economy, or haven't you noticed a lot of their "cost of goods sold" being dependent upon production being moved overseas? Also, many are doing well due to an increase in sales overseas.

But I like rising markets too, with a dash of reality.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
Yay Wall Street is having a hay day. Well that's nice. Except I don't give a rats arse' about Wall Street or her Stock Markets. They're just a pyramid scam anyway. Meanwhile, housing costs soar in to the stratosphere, foreclosures hit about 1 in four families in the country, our national debt is approaching Mars,
Don't blame the economy on the foreclosures. Blame it on the lenders who approved home loans to people who couldn't afford them.

And last I heard, the deficit is being brought down faster than expected. Thanks to the increased government revenue due to Bush's two tax cuts.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:50 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Good thing the stock market is humming along so nicely, we are going to need it. Seen the price of precious metals lately and does anyone know what this generally indicates?

McClatchy News Service

WASHINGTON --
As the national debt heads toward the $10-trillion mark, generous Americans are sending checks to the federal government.

Donations to the Bureau of the Public Debt have topped $2.5 million so far this year. That's the highest amount since at least 1996.

It's not making much of a dent, though.

For the fifth time since 2001, Congress is raising the debt limit, increasing it by $850 billion to $9.815 trillion. The Senate approved the plan on a 53-42 vote Thursday. That's $9,815,000,000,000.00.

The House of Representatives has already signed off on the plan, without a direct vote.

According to the folks who follow this stuff closely, the national debt has been rising by an average of $1.36 billion per day since September of last year.

And each citizen now has a share of nearly $30,000.

Boy, a Trillion here a trillion there, it might start adding up to some real money one of these days...

Old 10-01-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Don't blame the economy on the foreclosures. Blame it on the lenders who approved home loans to people who couldn't afford them.

And last I heard, the deficit is being brought down faster than expected. Thanks to the increased government revenue due to Bush's two tax cuts.
Almost...blame it on the credit rating agencies, who gave too high a credit rating for these poorly bundled portfolios. Want to begin to address the problem? You can start by having the rating companies, like Moodys, funded by independent investors instead of the companies issuing the notes.

A Surge in Credit-Rating Firms? - Regulatory Issues - CFO.com

Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Almost...blame it on the credit rating agencies, who gave too high a credit rating for these poorly bundled portfolios. Want to begin to address the problem? You can start by having the rating companies, like Moodys, funded by independent investors instead of the companies issuing the notes.

A Surge in Credit-Rating Firms? - Regulatory Issues - CFO.com
From what I've read, many lenders were approving loans to those with bad credit just to make the deal.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:30 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget72 View Post
No offense, but I think I'll take the advice of Yeledaf first.
I'm not giving advice, I'm just proving my awesome conservolibertarian principles! If you just let the free market run its course and help out the executives/stock traders enough then more wealth will be created than your wildest dreams could ever imagine! In the hands of 242 people. Let's boom like the 20's!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
From what I've read, many lenders were approving loans to those with bad credit just to make the deal.
We are kind of discussing two different, but tangentially related items.

You are right about the lenders and buyers. What I am referring to is that these loans get packaged and sold, on the open market. If the credit rating services were appropriately doing their jobs, in my opinion, the credit worthiness of these offerings would have been graded much lower. This would have effectively put the kabosh on the lenders being able to make these loans, the premium return rates would have made it too expensive. That is the way the credit markets are supposed to price risk, at least in theory.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:00 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Ok, I just read a piece on the Austrian theory of business cycle. Well, ok, I read it twice and am still trying to get my mind around some of it. What is the current model used by the Fed to govern whether or not it intervenes with injections of liquidity or the adjustment of the Federal funds rate?

The Worst Recession in 25 years?

The Worst Recession in 25 years? - Mises Institute

This I am guessing is written for lay people such as myself that have only a cursory understanding of how the Fed adjust rates in order to manipulate or direct economic growth. I would appreciate an injection of views from those with a greater understanding of this economic process.

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies