Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:41 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,065,836 times

Advertisements

I don't own it anymore, but one book that impressed me back then was "The Ugly American." Written in 1958, it appears it was updated in 1999. Here's a link to the book. Check out the 1st review on the newest edition:

Amazon.com: The Ugly American: Books: William J. Lederer,Eugene Burdick

And for my money, defense is not offense. So, we agree! I am for defense of our nation, and I am defending my property from the deer right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 09:59 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,155,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I don't own it anymore, but one book that impressed me back then was "The Ugly American." Written in 1958, it appears it was updated in 1999. Here's a link to the book. Check out the 1st review on the newest edition:

Amazon.com: The Ugly American: Books: William J. Lederer,Eugene Burdick

And for my money, defense is not offense. So, we agree! I am for defense of our nation, and I am defending my property from the deer right now.
I have a copy of that one somewhere out in the shed buried among literally hundreds upon hundreds of other books... I miss my library.

The characterization of "the golden curtain" is most interesting as it has been a frequent topic of discussion among a few of the more well traveled friends of mine. Most Americans have little experience to outside cultures and many that have had exposure were from military bases while in the service, the rest from vacations. I was fortunate to be able to spend time outside our national borders, living abroad and found it gave me a much different perspective on the politics of culture.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,136,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrumples View Post
The new Russia is natural. We have simply pushed them too far, by pushing NATO to their borders, now they are reacting, the same way we would had the same thing happened to us. You cannot expect a nation like Russia to accept our world view. Bush saw into his soul, yea right; Bush is ignorant and blind by not realizing Russia will not bow to the US. Now we have to deal with another foreign policy blunder.
Although I think you are partially correct that our arrogance in flouting the disassembly of the Soviet Union contributed to the current situation, I think it likely would have happened anyway. Russian culture is very different from our own, the true public support for a fellow like Putin vs the support for someone like Kasparov indicates something more in the works than US actions with the former USSR Baltic states.

I think that they missed being regarded as a threat to the world, and that Gorbachev and Yeltsin really were a bit out of step with the public. After tasting some freedom and the mess that is capitalism, especially when such a dramatic shift from their highly structured centrally managed society, they decided they like the old way better.

I don't blame the US much for this outcome. I think we contributed a bit to it, and probably made it a little worse than it really had to be, but I think this evolution would have taken place anyway. After all, they are still Russia.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Although I think you are partially correct that our arrogance in flouting the disassembly of the Soviet Union contributed to the current situation, I think it likely would have happened anyway. Russian culture is very different from our own, the true public support for a fellow like Putin vs the support for someone like Kasparov indicates something more in the works than US actions with the former USSR Baltic states.

I think that they missed being regarded as a threat to the world, and that Gorbachev and Yeltsin really were a bit out of step with the public. After tasting some freedom and the mess that is capitalism, especially when such a dramatic shift from their highly structured centrally managed society, they decided they like the old way better.

I don't blame the US much for this outcome. I think we contributed a bit to it, and probably made it a little worse than it really had to be, but I think this evolution would have taken place anyway. After all, they are still Russia.
They were far more of a "threat" when they were in collapse as many in our military worried about that nasty green, glow in the dark stuff being sold to various despots and tin pots. Look at the moves the United States made in the "Stan" states and most notably, in Georgia. Whether right or wrong, the US jumped in with both feet to assume a more interventionist role in many of the border states of Russia. Ask yourself, if the US economy collapsed or the nation stumbled and fell, what would it do to the national mindset of Americans to have Russians cozying up with Canada, Mexico, Cuba, etc... I don't think we would be too thrilled about it, and being so it would create resentment. Again, I am not condemning nor condoning our actions there but I can see how it forces a stronger solidarity and more authoritarian ideology.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Here's a fascinating, informative article linking the presidents of Venezuela and Iran together, and discussing how the US is not necessarily paying enough attention to Latin America (and South American of course).

International Assessment and Strategy Center > Research > The Growing Terrorism Challenges From Latin America

This is a larger long-term threat: the marriage of US enemies on more than one front, something we all need to be aware of and cognizant of as the world stage gets hotter. Not unlike Cuba and the USSR, 1960s.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Here's a fascinating, informative article linking the presidents of Venezuela and Iran together, and discussing how the US is not necessarily paying enough attention to Latin America (and South American of course).

International Assessment and Strategy Center > Research > The Growing Terrorism Challenges From Latin America

This is a larger long-term threat: the marriage of US enemies on more than one front, something we all need to be aware of and cognizant of as the world stage gets hotter. Not unlike Cuba and the USSR, 1960s.
There has been a general culmination of nations since the end of the cold war. As I mentioned in that one piece I wrote about the European Union, the attempts towards unification that are in their infancy in Asia. There has also been growing cooperation in South and Central American states as well. Many of which are being formulated under the guise of economic reasons but truth be known, they are more about strategic alliances for mutual military benefit. Whether we are a threat to other nations or not, I suspect many nations see us as being a potential threat considering our unilateral approach with diplomacy.

If I were a tiny resource rich or strategically placed nation, I would be looking for some help from my neighbors as well.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:16 PM

I believe that in addition to Chavez, the Bolivian President, newly elected, is very concerned about maintaining the country's rich resources for which they have seen very little in the way of funds--Bolivia ranks at the lowest end of the economic scale world-wide. He is talking to Chavez. Others are undoubtedly meeting through the Pan American Club that the US doesn't take seriously.

These are dangerous times. With some many discontent and many angry at their treatment in the global economy and international policy making, anything can ignite a war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
There has been a general culmination of nations since the end of the cold war. As I mentioned in that one piece I wrote about the European Union, the attempts towards unification that are in their infancy in Asia. There has also been growing cooperation in South and Central American states as well. Many of which are being formulated under the guise of economic reasons but truth be known, they are more about strategic alliances for mutual military benefit. Whether we are a threat to other nations or not, I suspect many nations see us as being a potential threat considering our unilateral approach with diplomacy.

If I were a tiny resource rich or strategically placed nation, I would be looking for some help from my neighbors as well.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:26 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,398,857 times
We can thank Bush for weakening the military and enriching his buddies. Apparently he was operating on the assumption that the U.S. has almost unlimited resources and the military had almost unlimited personnel. The resources have dwindled and the military is worn and weakened. This is why the size of the military must be reduced; to prevent waste and to reduce the temptation of spur-of-the moment wars and wars for personal enrichment.

We spend too much on the military. Why can't the military become more efficient with less? Why are we encouraging the bloat of money and corruption (think of Blackwater, KBR, and friends) and stunting the progress of using less money?

Old 10-03-2007, 04:07 AM

79 posts, read 208,570 times
The military could be more efficient with less except that we have to have some outlet for the huge sector of the economy dependent on large projects. You don't see any movement to replace a rifle that is out of date - too small of a profit, but want a new carrier, no problem. Entire cities are dependent on it now. For example, if you cut down on the projected number of carriers, the cities of Hampton and Newport News would collapse; cut down on the size of the fleet, all of Hampton Roads would be impacted; this is all over the country and these local governments lobby hard to keep things as they are. As for Russia, the idea of a democracy in our terms is foreign to them. Their style seems to be to elect a strongman for stability.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:45 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,671,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
You must mistake me for a liberal.

So invade Iraq and Iran but NOT Russia because they aren't a military threat but Iraq and Iran are? Or do we just invade countries that we can pick on like a neighborhood bully, in which case Iran would be right when Ahmadinejad stated that the one reason they would want a bomb is that it is the only way to guarantee the United States won't invade them.

Bully or coward seems the indication.
No. I've never said you were a liberal.

Each situation must be treated independently. The proper strategy for Iraq may not be what works for Iran, or Korea or Russia. When did Ahmed state that he wanted a bomb? Every statement I've heard from him has denied this, and that his nuclear desires were strictly for energy needs.

I see no reason, at this point, to invade Russia. If you do, could you provide your reasoning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies