Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:52 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,665,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Montara View Post
List of Military expenditures by nation;As you can see the US spends more than next ten (actually 20) countries put together. Surely you can see why some countries wonder why, and attempt to counter US abilities.
Regarding the prior post, I will use caps to differentiate my answers,
Better, like Obama who would invade Pakistan? SINCE BIN LADEN IS IN PAKISTAN, THAT IS A GREAT OPTION
Better, like Obama who would not use nukes under any circumstances? CONSIDERING THE RESULTS OF NUKES THAT IS A GOOD IDEA.
Better, like Hillary who would dismantle the military and reduce the effectiveness of the CIA? THAT IS NONSENSE, I AM SURPRISED A GROWN MAN WOULD SAY THAT.
Better, like Kucinich who would withdraw our troops immediately, leaving a vacuum for Iran to fill? OUR TROOPS WILL WITHDRAW SOMEDAY. BECAUSE OF THE POORLY EXECUTED OCCUPATION OF IRAQ THERE WILL BE A VACUUM TO FILL.

Which of these is better than the current administration? CONSIDERING THE DAMAGE TO AMERICAN RESPECT AND PRESTIGE AND THE AMERICAN MILITARY SINCE THE INVASION OF IRAQ, MY DOG WOULD DO A BETTER JOB THAN THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION, HISTORY WILL JUDGE BUSH HARSHLY.

As far as your statements about the military option, the U.S. gave Saddam 12 years, placed sanctions on him, and gave him every chance to adhere to his Surrender Agreement. There was not much more we could do, as proven by the votes by the U.N. and the U.S. Congress. Saddam is the one who made the decision.

CONTAINMENT WORKED. IRAQ WAS CRIPPLED AND 3,900 AMERICAN BOYS WERE ALIVE WHO ARE DEAD NOW. IF WE COULD CONTAIN THE USSR FOR 40 YEARS WE SURE COULD HAVE CONTAINED IRAQ UNTIL THE DEATH OF HUSSEIN AND THEN WATCH THE BRITISH COLONIAL CREATION WHICH IS IRAQ DISINTEGRATE AS IT IS NOW.

HUMPTY DUMPTY HAS FALLEN OFF THE WALL, AND HE AIN'T GETTING FIXED.

THE CONFLICT BETWEEN COMMUNISM AND CAPITALISM WAS A CONFLICT OF IDEAS, THE WEST WON, COMMUNISM IS DEAD.

THE CONFLICT BETWEEN THE WEST AND ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALISM IS A CONFLICT OF IDEAS, INTRODUCING THE MILITARY SHOWED BUSH TO BE INCAPABLE OF FIGHTING IDEAS WITH IDEAS.
Please don't yell, it makes your posts hard to read. It would be better to put the statements you are responding to in quotes.

If you think that Saddam would've been content to just wither on the vine, then I'm uncertain of your Middle East knowledge. Saddam was helping fund Hamas and other organizations who were threatening American interests, even when he was being "contained". He was firing on coalition aircraft that were patrolling the no-fly zone. He was involved in the Oil for Food fiasco that was initiated by the UN, strengthening his influence and increasing his personal wealth at the expense of the Iraqi citizens.

How exactly would your dog "fix" these situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 AM

66 posts, read 109,707 times
I stated why I used caps, worked for me.

Lets go back to the Soviet analogy. The Soviets meddled all over the world during their period of containment. We survived and thrived.

Iraq was a third rate nation with a third rate military and a third rate capability to meddle. Who cares what Iraq did vis a vis Israel except the Israelis, Hamas posed no threat to the US

I don't blame him at all for firing on foreign aircraft over the sovereign territory of Iraq. If the Chicoms were flying patrols over US territory would you not take your deer rifle out in the back yard and take pot shots at them? Besides, how successful were the Iraqi air defences?

What would my dog do? Consider the containment issue, simply continue. Hussein was going continue to push the envelope, as did the Soviets, look where that got them.

Casting aspersions upon my knowledge of middle eastern affairs was just plain silly.
First question for you; Who was Gertrude Bell?

Second question; What did St. Augustine say about going to war?

Old 10-03-2007, 07:46 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,050,356 times
Speaking of partnerhips, here's an interesting piece that appeared in a French media service on yes, Venezuela's relationship with...guess who?

Venezuela Defends Iran, Blasts ‘Hypocritical’ US Policy On Terror - CommonDreams.org

Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,144,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Speaking of partnerhips, here's an interesting piece that appeared in a French media service on yes, Venezuela's relationship with...guess who?

Venezuela Defends Iran, Blasts ‘Hypocritical’ US Policy On Terror - CommonDreams.org
A most interesting development to say the least. Being Venezuela is an OPEC nation and is one of the largest importers of oil into the United States, it must really stick in the crawl of Washington.

I also noted the Chavez order that Venezuela to move out of US dollars and into Euro's and divest large portions of its dollar holdings.
Sept. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez instructed Petroleos de Venezuela SA, the state oil company, to convert its investment accounts from dollars to euros and Asian currencies to reduce risk.

The decision may help weaken the dollar as the Federal Reserve prepares to lower interest rates this week, said Philip Wee, an economist at DBS Bank Ltd. in Singapore. The currency has fallen against 14 of the 16 most-active over the past year, partly as governments signaled they may diversify their holdings away from the U.S., the world's primary destination for reserves.

Bloomberg.com: Latin America

A simple google search with the terms, "Venezuela Russia" will make anyone stand up and take notice. Weapons, energy, technology, and tightening relations. It would certainly seem that Russia has an eye on our southern neighbors who are all too happy to oblige.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:45 PM

The Bay of Pigs redux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
A most interesting development to say the least. Being Venezuela is an OPEC nation and is one of the largest importers of oil into the United States, it must really stick in the crawl of Washington.

I also noted the Chavez order that Venezuela to move out of US dollars and into Euro's and divest large portions of its dollar holdings.
Sept. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez instructed Petroleos de Venezuela SA, the state oil company, to convert its investment accounts from dollars to euros and Asian currencies to reduce risk.

The decision may help weaken the dollar as the Federal Reserve prepares to lower interest rates this week, said Philip Wee, an economist at DBS Bank Ltd. in Singapore. The currency has fallen against 14 of the 16 most-active over the past year, partly as governments signaled they may diversify their holdings away from the U.S., the world's primary destination for reserves.

Bloomberg.com: Latin America

A simple google search with the terms, "Venezuela Russia" will make anyone stand up and take notice. Weapons, energy, technology, and tightening relations. It would certainly seem that Russia has an eye on our southern neighbors who are all too happy to oblige.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
The Bay of Pigs redux?
Sequels never make it at the box office like the original.

I meant to also mention this line from that article you posted.

US authorities have refused to honor extradition requests from Venezuela and Cuba — where he is also sought in connection with the 1976 plane bombing — citing a UN convention banning deportations to countries with a pattern of torture or flagrant human rights abuses.

Man, you talk about the whole pot, kettle, black thing. I can see Cheney and Rumsfeld now before a Senate oversight committee, "define flagrant", to be followed by a slamming of a fist upon a podium, "I did not flagrantly torture that enemy combatant"!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Yes, we have been harbouring a guy most wanted in Cuba. Silly that we are protecting him and yes, kettle's that are black....shucks.

You know the more we piece this stuff together, the harder it will be for me to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Sequels never make it at the box office like the original.

I meant to also mention this line from that article you posted.

US authorities have refused to honor extradition requests from Venezuela and Cuba — where he is also sought in connection with the 1976 plane bombing — citing a UN convention banning deportations to countries with a pattern of torture or flagrant human rights abuses.

Man, you talk about the whole pot, kettle, black thing. I can see Cheney and Rumsfeld now before a Senate oversight committee, "define flagrant", to be followed by a slamming of a fist upon a podium, "I did not flagrantly torture that enemy combatant"!

Old 10-04-2007, 05:43 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,665,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Montara View Post
I stated why I used caps, worked for me.

Lets go back to the Soviet analogy. The Soviets meddled all over the world during their period of containment. We survived and thrived.

Iraq was a third rate nation with a third rate military and a third rate capability to meddle. Who cares what Iraq did vis a vis Israel except the Israelis, Hamas posed no threat to the US

I don't blame him at all for firing on foreign aircraft over the sovereign territory of Iraq. If the Chicoms were flying patrols over US territory would you not take your deer rifle out in the back yard and take pot shots at them? Besides, how successful were the Iraqi air defences?

What would my dog do? Consider the containment issue, simply continue. Hussein was going continue to push the envelope, as did the Soviets, look where that got them.

Casting aspersions upon my knowledge of middle eastern affairs was just plain silly.
First question for you; Who was Gertrude Bell?

Second question; What did St. Augustine say about going to war?
Your analogies are flawed. Saddam signed an agreement that imposed the No-Fly-Zones, so he had no justification for attacking those who patrolled it. Also Israel is an important piece of American interests in the Middle East, as an ally and as a true democracy in the middle of Islamic and/or sectarian tyrannies. Therefore, those who attack Israel, especially using terrorist acts to kill innocent women and children, and those who fund them, need to be eliminated.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Todays trip to Russia by Condi Rice seems to be more of a mission of a beggar. The current thawing of the old cold war and the once magical notions of the "peace dividend" bring Russia once more to the front of the political scene.

Putin is now threatening to pull out of the medium range missile treaty with the US.

From Yahoo News:

Putin said "it will be difficult for us to remain within the framework of the treaty", which requires destruction of Russian and US intermediate range missiles, unless it is expanded to include other countries.

"In our opinion it is necessary to make those restrictions between the United States and the Russian Federation a truly universal treaty," Putin said at the start of talks just outside Moscow with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and US Defence Secretary Robert Gates.

Looks like Putin wasn't too happy with the meeting between the Georgian President and Rumsfeld, about as happy as Kennedy was when the Soviets wanted to park a few medium ranged nukes in Cuba

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/bushbeat/archive/images/rumsfeld,-ilham-aliyev-aug0.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-15-2008, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times
Do not listen to Jose Montara.The United States fully discloses their expenses, while China and Russia hide most of their military expenses. By making such an argument falls into the trap of the communist powers of deception. Both China and Russia are pouring an enormous amount of billions into their military capability without reporting it. For example while America usually funds military to GDP by 5 percent.Russia has typically funded their military by 60 percent of their GDP.China is similar in Russian deception. Here is a video to back me up.[url=http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/hi/story/ch_f02_03.html]Commanding Heights: Storyline | on PBS[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies