Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
These are pratically the same words he has been trying to discredit Obama for using.

Romney to Olympians: 'You didn't get here solely on your own' - First Read

"You Olympians, however, know you didn't get here solely on your own power,” said Romney, who on Friday will attend the Opening Ceremonies of this year’s Summer Olympics. “For most of you, loving parents, sisters or brothers, encouraged your hopes, coaches guided, communities built venues in order to organize competitions. All Olympians stand on the shoulders of those who lifted them. We’ve already cheered the Olympians, let’s also cheer the parents, coaches, and communities. All right! [pumps fist].”
That's hilarious. This is the third forum on which I've seen this posted.

As if it changes what Obama said about people who start businesses. And the meaningful thing is, Obama's statement simply underscores his thinly veiled contempt for business. Obama spent a year or so in the private sector and described himself as a "spy" and as working "behind enemy lines." His whole reelection campaign is based on class warfare.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
If Romney bragged about how he managed to milk more money out of the government than anyone, and that 80% of that money was NOT used for the Olympics, but building up the infrastructure for Mormon SLC, then I simply see him as another big spending hypocrite.
Since you didn't answer the question the last time I asked it, I'll ask it again? Why would you refer to Salt Lake City as "Mormon SLC" when half of the city is not Mormon and benefitted from the Olympics every bit as much as the Mormons did? Secondly, an infrastructure which will support the Olympics is absolutely essential. It is a fact that the Salt Lake games were spiraling into out-of-control debt when Romney took over. It is also a fact that the Salt Lake games actually made money, whereas every single solitary games preceding them lost money. You already know that I'm not a Romney supporter, but give the guy credit where credit's due. If you would at least make an effort to be objective, you'd probably stand to benefit by it, whereas when you can't find a single, solitary positive thing to say about Romney and continue to resort to bringing his religion into virtually every post you make about him, you just come across as uninformed and bigoted. The guy has his faults, but he saved the Salt Lake City Olympics. Deal with it.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
So... You lobs still trying to turn a fish into a duck?

Lol

Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Good grief! Is he and his campaign REALLY that stupid?

Think he got all that money by picking up the wrong suitcase at the airport?

He may be a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
He didn't say anyone owed anything, like Romney didn't say the athletes owed him, or the American tax payers anything. Both politicians made the same points but it seems people are willing to spin one, and not the other. Not entirely honest, but what are you gonna do?

If Romney bragged about how he managed to milk more money out of the government than anyone, and that 80% of that money was NOT used for the Olympics, but building up the infrastructure for Mormon SLC, then I simply see him as another big spending hypocrite.

Obama: If you've been successful you didn't get there on your own - YouTube

Have you managed to see and hear the Romney speech that was made to the entire group of Olympians from all countries? I bet you refused to listen to it. Why? Because you found an NBC writer who took that small part out of context and it works so well for you.

Of course, you haven't given us the whole Obama gaffe to listen to since you want so much to make Romney look bad. It takes no spinning, at all, to do that for Obama since he managed to go off teleprompter long enough to garble his words and no speech writer would have ever written it the way he delivered it.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
[quote=janelle144;25307455]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post

Did Romney say government helped? I don't think he did.
If he didn't, he should have.

Mitt accepted $1.3 BILLION in government help when he ran the 2002 Winter Olympics
Daily Kos: Mitt accepted $1.3 BILLION in government help when he ran the 2002 Winter Olympics

In the video John McCain rips the 2002 Winter Olympics funding.

Enjoy.

The Olympic Bailout - YouTube

Old 07-23-2012, 10:30 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
"You didn't earn that." would be a direct t*t for tat.
Wrong. Obama said "You didn't build that" talking specifically about public roads and bridges which companies use to distribute their products.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You already know that I'm not a Romney supporter, but give the guy credit where credit's due. If you would at least make an effort to be objective, you'd probably stand to benefit by it, whereas when you can't find a single, solitary positive thing to say about Romney and continue to resort to bringing his religion into virtually every post you make about him, you just come across as uninformed and bigoted. The guy has his faults, but he saved the Salt Lake City Olympics. Deal with it.
Can't find a single positive thing to say??? The whole point I am making here is that I agree with his speech. LOL

PS Calling Salt Lake City a mormon city is not "bringing religion into it", it is merely stating a fact. It is the mormon capital of the world. I know you are very sensitive when it comes to mormon issues, but I dont' understand why you'd be offended by someone calling SLC a mormon city, when it in fact is a mormon city. It is also a fact that Romney bragged about having succesfully milked more money out of Washignton than anyone else to support the games.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
[youtube]Have you managed to see and hear the Romney speech that was made to the entire group of Olympians from all countries? I bet you refused to listen to it. Why?
Yes, that's the speech we are talking about here.

Quote:
Of course, you haven't given us the whole Obama gaffe to listen to since you want so much to make Romney look bad.
Make Romeny look bad??? If Romney's own words makes him look bad in your eyes, then how is that my fault? I said I agree with his words, but the point here is that you agree with Romney and disagree with Obama when they say the same thing. That is a tough position to defend, and I dont' know why you'd even try. You fell in your own trap when you hurried to mock Obamas speech before finding out Romney had said the same thing.

PS. How come you cheered McCain when he ripped Romney for burning through a mountain of government money for these games, but now all of a sudden you do a 180 and defend the spending? What's up with that? It seems a little flippity-floppity to me.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
The difference between Romney's & Obama's statements is that Romney's comment was not made in the context of a political debate. Obama's statement was essentially a straw man argument. He's trying to impute to conservatives the claim that taxes should be zero, gov't should not build roads, bridges, armies, etc. But no conservatives are saying that.

Romney was not trying to win a debate. He was just trying to remind the athletes of something they already knew.

The context makes all the difference. Ironic that OP uses Obama's false debating point to recursively generate yet another false debating point by making a false comparison between the two statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies