Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
LOL. I notice you Romney defenders all ignoring the part where he acknowledges the venues, built with taxpayer money, that gave the athletes a place to practice and compete. Where would all of these Olympians be without these community venues, many of which were built with YOUR tax dollars. Why aren't you outraged by that? Selective reasoning, maybe?
He credits the people for building the venues which is right. People did build these things and that is what Obama doesn't seem to realize and wants us to pay more to the government as a thank you and that is insulting. The government didn't build anything. It was the who people did with their tax dollars. And Romney manages to say thank you in a way that doesn't belittle the success of the athletes.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Who paid for the building of the Utah Olympic Park, Soldier Hollow and the Utah Olympic Oval? Those were tax-payer funded venues which those athletes used free of charge.

By the way, in case you're unclear about it, tax payer funded means....government.
That's right, the government gets its money from us. They actually build nothing, but only act as a middle man to get things built and that is after they waste a huge portion of what they collect first.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:38 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
He credits the people for building the venues which is right. People did build these things and that is what Obama doesn't seem to realize and wants us to pay more to the government as a thank you and that is insulting. The government didn't build anything. It was the who people did with their tax dollars. And Romney manages to say thank you in a way that doesn't belittle the success of the athletes.
And where do those tax dollars go? Oh, yeah, to the government!

Taxpayers didn't one day suddenly decide, "Hey, let's all get together next Saturday and build an Olympic venue!" The taxes they paid enabled the government to then take that taxpayer money and build those venues. So that really, the government built those venues, using taxpayer money.

Stop me if I'm going too fast for you here...

Last edited by HeyJude514; 07-23-2012 at 01:00 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
LOL. Sounds like people are saying "the people are the government, but the government doesn't build anything, the people do" heh-heh

Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
The Obamanots must be getting desperate by bringing up something that Romney said ten years ago, and then try to apply what Romney said about individual efforts and family support to what Obama said about business and government support.

Obama is getting his ass handed to him by all the negative campaigning, and now the left is grasping at straws.

Too funny!!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:59 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Saying people should thank their parents and siblings is quite a bit different from saying people should thank government...
And who said that people should thank government? Please post a direct quote.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
The Obamanots must be getting desperate by bringing up something that Romney said ten years ago, and then try to apply what Romney said about individual efforts and family support to what Obama said about business and government support.
Are you saying Romney's views have 'evolved' in the past few years? You think he would no longer agree that parents, teachers and community play any role in people's success?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
And who said that people should thank government? Please post a direct quote.
Sure sounded like Romney threw the government in the mix.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
My husband and I are small business owners. We're a long way from rich--more in that really comfortable middle class bracket--and we pay a lot more in taxes each year than most families make. That said, the taxes we pay for the businesses and on our personal income couldn't come close to covering the local fire department, police department, roads, bridges, schools etc. that we rely on to make our businesses viable. The tax payers ARE the government, but we join together to do the work and we DONT do it alone. That was the point that Romney made, and that was the point that Obama made. If we're thanking the government, we're thanking each other.

The unbelievably stupid part is that Romney would run an attack ad on Obama for saying it, and then say the exact same thing in less than a week. He's an idiot.
Obama said what he meant as he always does. Then his minions run around trying to smooth it over.
my success had nothing to do with Obama, and no offense, nothing to do with you or anyone else. No one but me put money in my savings. No one but me planned my retirement. In fact I can say that I am successful inspite of Obama, inspite of GWB and in spite of any and all party hard liners. Any services I used I also paid for.
Your fire department? Your taxes pay your share.. How many tomes have you used it? How much does it cost to run those trucks in local parades?

Everything you mentioned if you pay taxes you paid your share and that means that there is no debt.
Those who owe a debt are those who dont pay. Are those who live off our fat.
Career politicians like Big Bill Clinton owe. Any career politician who got rich from holding office owes.
No I dont owe. I worked hard for everything I have. I paid all my permits when I built my house. Pay my taxes regardless of how fair or unfair they might be.
If you want to feel a false debt feel free to do so. Me? I will never bow my head and say thank you when no debt is owed.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Obama said what he meant as he always does. Then his minions run around trying to smooth it over.
my success had nothing to do with Obama, and no offense, nothing to do with you or anyone else. No one but me put money in my savings. No one but me planned my retirement. In fact I can say that I am successful inspite of Obama, inspite of GWB and in spite of any and all party hard liners. Any services I used I also paid for.
Your fire department? Your taxes pay your share.. How many tomes have you used it? How much does it cost to run those trucks in local parades?

Everything you mentioned if you pay taxes you paid your share and that means that there is no debt.
Those who owe a debt are those who dont pay. Are those who live off our fat.
Career politicians like Big Bill Clinton owe. Any career politician who got rich from holding office owes.
No I dont owe. I worked hard for everything I have. I paid all my permits when I built my house. Pay my taxes regardless of how fair or unfair they might be.
If you want to feel a false debt feel free to do so. Me? I will never bow my head and say thank you when no debt is owed.
How did you learn how to read and write? How did you get to work, or to your business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies