Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:25 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well said. It also sounds like the OP wants to torture crazy people.

OP here, and I specifically said what punishment "short of torture" would be appropriate.
And there is no evidence at this point that he was crazy.

I do find it very ironic that someone this evil could get life in prison without a chace of parole and be guaranteed, healthcare, three meals a day, internet, tv, and a warm, dry bed. Can we gurantee the same to the teachers at my childrens school?

Last edited by Eddyline; 07-25-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,942,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
OP here, and I specifically said what punishment "short of torture" would be appropriate.
And there is no evidence at this point that he was crazy.

I do find it very ironic that someone this evil could get life in prison without a chace of parole and be guaranteed, healthcare, three meals a day, internet, tv, and a warm, dry bed. Can we gurantee the same to the teachers at my childrens school?
You also specifically said "And how can we make his time awaiting execution as miserable as possible?" I don't believe there is any sane person that could do what that person did. It was horrific. Really what sane person would go into a movie theater with sole purpose of killing people knowing that he would be caught. What did he have to gain by doing this. No rational person could do such a thing.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:06 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
You also specifically said "And how can we make his time awaiting execution as miserable as possible?" I don't believe there is any sane person that could do what that person did. It was horrific. Really what sane person would go into a movie theater with sole purpose of killing people knowing that he would be caught. What did he have to gain by doing this. No rational person could do such a thing.

I kind of agree with you, but listening to many peoples view on this since this took place. I have heard some say, well if this guy was so insane, or mentnally ill, he planned this act months in advance, and got his ammo, he knew what he was doing with intent.

I have a Dr. friend who sees these very kind of people. We talk a lot about these instances, not knowing that this one would take place.

She says that there are some out there, whether we want to believe ir or not, no reason for her to lie here. That there are evil people from the time they were little. These types of children, did not get along with the other children in the home, always wanting to hurt them. She says there are children, who love hurting their Mom, both physically and mentally. And torturing pet animals in the home.

Which most of us knows where acts as this lead too.

And there are some, who are plain mental, and don't know it for sometimes, it is much too late, by the time the family figures out what exactly is going on.

My friend says, without knowing for sure, and this person, getting medical attention, that we will not know for sure, if he is mentally insane, or playing the part, and therefore, that makes this a different scenario.

Without rushing to judgement, as evil as these acts were, the innocent killed, for no reason, the fear this young man instilled in each of his victims. We need to know why.

My friend did say, some people who play mentally insane are very good, at fooling people. I thiink we need to wait, and see what the professionals say, but by all means, if this person was not insane, and knew what he was doing, justice must be done.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,502 times
Quote:
I don't believe there is any sane person that could do what that person did. It was horrific. Really what sane person would go into a movie theater with sole purpose of killing people knowing that he would be caught. What did he have to gain by doing this. No rational person could do such a thing.

There seems to be a lot of evil that is so evil that many say "no sane person could have done that". Seems that lets criminals off the hook for truley evil crimes. The standard for "criminal insane" needs to be higher than that.

But for the moment lets assume he was sane. What is appropriate punishment?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Does government have the right to lock people up?
Sure it does. Who is being protected by government using the death penalty?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,725,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

God mandates the death penalty for convicted murderers.

There is no prison punishment under God's Law.

in cases like this, where there is a mountain of evidence for a guilty verdict.. i agree with god

Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,046 times
Just hire voodoo or black magic people to torment their soul for eternity. LOL That should do it.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 PM

88 posts, read 168,234 times
How would all you liberal, armchair jurisprudence experts feel if it was your 3 year old baby that was tortured, raped and murdered?

I don't think you would be sitting there mentally masturbating all this hypothetically abstract nonsense. The penalty for the crimes of rape and murder is not only the"mercy killing" or death penalty but to be tortured for a long time. That man must feel our pain and future perpetrators must have a deterrent. Im so sick and tired of liberal types always protecting "psychopaths" who have no conscious or remorse. We want cosmic justice, the state is a failure! Its way too corrupted by money and politics.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
An eye for an eye. End of story.

Let the bleeding heart liberals feel sorry for this guy.
You know, I have never understood why empathy is seen as a despicable weakness by some nut jobs.

Even less so, when it is linked to political ideology. Or are you assuming that liberals are consequently against the death penalty.

And what does decrying empathy tell us about you? That you are an unemotional, revengeful brute who has just graduated from grunting?

To make matters worse, you quote the bible - albeit the Old Testament. Does that mean that you label yourself "Christian?" Since when is empathy something that Christianity derides?

You sound like you are very, very confused.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I know how the op feels which is why I am glad that justice is administered by the state and not individuals.

The desire to inflict punishment equal to our anger is perfectly in line with the baser aspects of human nature; few other species have the capacity for bloodlust approaching that of humans. So feeding sadism, isn't good for any of us which is why we entrust the administration of punishment, our collective retribution, to institutions which can objectify that which we cannot.
I agree - and I understand fully the sentiment behind the OP's question. There are certainly crimes that have caused me to wish for two types of death penalty: Death by humane means and Death by inhumane means. Admittedly, this thought is always fleeting but I cannot deny that it has crossed my mind in certain circumstances.

The Cheshire, Connecticut murders come to mind:

Cheshire, Connecticut, home invasion murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies