Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

These are all good replies, but I'm still looking for the replies from those who favor gun control in defense of what I'm calling half-measures such as the 'assault weapon ban,' waiting periods, etc.

I know you people are out there, because I see your posts in the other threads. My conclusion: gun control advocates are always ready to throw out an emotion-based declaration, but when it comes to details and logical scrutiny, they already know they don't have a leg to stand on. Hence the loud quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
It is half-measures or total freedom to own weapons. The 2nd amendment will be upheld. (At least at the federal level, local laws may apply)

Prohibition never works. Except for drugs where prohibition has been a smashing success! :-)

Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
All private firearms are illegal in China. Anyone know the violent crime rates?

Gun control advocates love to throw out inter-country comparisons. 'The Republic of Gunban has only 3 handgun deaths per year, while the US has 32 gazillion per year.'

These are mostly a fool's errand. Try comparing among the US, Mexico, Japan, Yemen, Britain, and Israel. There are all so different that it becomes almost disingenuous to compare them for homicide rates and gun laws.

Why don't the gun control advocates ever seem to mention Jamaica. They have strict gun control, pretty close to Japanese-style blanket prohibition. But they are generally near the top of the list for homicides per 100,000.

Jamaica's Bloody Lesson On Guns | Fox News

Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
All private firearms are illegal in China. Anyone know the violent crime rates?

LOL Typical of an american progressive to look to Communism for answers.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
These are all good replies, but I'm still looking for the replies from those who favor gun control in defense of what I'm calling half-measures such as the 'assault weapon ban,' waiting periods, etc.

I know you people are out there, because I see your posts in the other threads. My conclusion: gun control advocates are always ready to throw out an emotion-based declaration, but when it comes to details and logical scrutiny, they already know they don't have a leg to stand on. Hence the loud quiet.
No one is going to advocate gun control as its impossible to administer or enforce,as an example if there is a law on the books banning assault weapons how would that have had any impact on what happened in Aurora.. But seeing as you seem to have much in the way of opinion ready for any one who advocates gun control i'll make your day,,I think we should Ban all guns!!!,,go ahead, let it out..

Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
One other thing. Ban one class of firearm because it's the "worst". You now have another, new, "worst" type. Well then, that has to be banned now. And so on down the line.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
The Second Amendment does not grant any rights. The right to own a gun - like all rights - exists only by law.
It's always fun to observe glaring self-contradictions like this one from liberals.

The first part is correct, of course, and the second part pure bunkum.

In fact, the right to be free is universal. The only difference from one locale to the next, is how much other people interfere with that (and other) rights.

Quotes like this invariable come from people interested in increasing that interference... upon others, of course, never themselves.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,832,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
,,I think we should Ban all guns!!!
SPOONS!
I say ban or at least regulate the amount of spoons that you can have!

Pencils too!
Don't overlook pencils!

After all .. If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words,
and spoons made Rosie O’donnell fat.

Keyboards? hummm

Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
SPOONS!
I say ban or at least regulate the amount of spoons that you can have!

.. spoons made Rosie O’donnell fat.

Keyboards? hummm
How about the high-capacity, assault-style spoons, AKA ladles? As much as 16 oz. in a single spoonful, at a time when obesity and diet-related deaths in American are more than 10 times the rate of firearms deaths.

16 oz. One-Piece Ladle

Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Seems like you just want someone to argue with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies