Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times

Advertisements

Have lived in Houston for 30 years and work and live among blacks and hispanics have seen very little racism. I must confess the filipina that takes 98% of my paycheck can be annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
In my experience, I noticed that on the whole, Southerners are more likely to say what Northerners are already thinking. That's the main difference IMO.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
I live in Atlanta and have not met any white racists. I am from Ohio and never met any white racist in my hometown either. The only difference is that my hometown was and is much more integrated than Atlanta.

In regards to the cities in the OP, I would say that people, in general, both white and black, are more racist than Atlantans. And this is coming from someone who doesn't have all that great an opinion about Atlanta. But when we were notified we may move to Chicago due to my husband's job (luckily that fell through) I was terrified of moving there even though, on the whole, I think Chicago is a beautiful city. There is just too much prejudice and stereotypes and race focusing there for my taste.

My husband is from Chicago and when I go there I don't see any white people unless I go downtown. It is pretty eerie for me. I live in "the hood" here in Atlanta, in a much worse neighborhood crimewise versus my MILs in Chicago, and we have white people who live in our neighborhood. The whole segregation and racial focus in Chicago is disturbing to me.

Even black people from Chicago are pretty prejudiced IMO. My husband and I, when we first met, got into heated debates regarding his prejudices of white people. Due to me growing up in a poor neighborhood and a lot of my neighbors being poor, I knew there were poor white people. He would argue with me that white people can't be poor and if they are they aren't as poor as poor black people, which was idiotic to me since even though I was a poor black kid, I had it way better than a lot of the poor white kids in my neighborhood, some of whom did not have shoes or proper winter coats. Luckily he has come a long way. I jokingly call him a "race man" something that back in the day black people called black nationalistic minded black people. He used to not like me calling him that but it doesn't bother him as much anymore and even though he is not nearly as prejudice as he used to be, he is still sort of a race man. FWIW, he was beat up for being black once when he got off of work and was walking through Bridgeport, that and a few other incidents made him very distrustful and prejudiced against white people. He has also been called a N*gg** more times than he can count when he lived in Chicago. He agrees that Atlanta white people are much less racist. He also thinks that black people in Atlanta though are prejudiced against black people in a certain way and I agree with him. Many native black Atlantans are much nicer to white people than they are to black people. It is interesting and weird to me, coming from such a diverse background and being in the same income class as people of all different backgrounds. My husband's experiences and me observing racial relations here in Atlanta make me happy I gew up knowing all sorts of people and did not harbor any sort of prejudices based on ethnic background.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Would you say white folks in Chicago or Boston are more or less racist than whites in Houston or Atlanta?
equally. Racism isn't endemic to one area of the country. Southerners are just more open about it than Northerners.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:17 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,097,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I live in Atlanta and have not met any white racists. I am from Ohio and never met any white racist in my hometown either. The only difference is that my hometown was and is much more integrated than Atlanta.

In regards to the cities in the OP, I would say that people, in general, both white and black, are more racist than Atlantans. And this is coming from someone who doesn't have all that great an opinion about Atlanta. But when we were notified we may move to Chicago due to my husband's job (luckily that fell through) I was terrified of moving there even though, on the whole, I think Chicago is a beautiful city. There is just too much prejudice and stereotypes and race focusing there for my taste.

My husband is from Chicago and when I go there I don't see any white people unless I go downtown. It is pretty eerie for me. I live in "the hood" here in Atlanta, in a much worse neighborhood crimewise versus my MILs in Chicago, and we have white people who live in our neighborhood. The whole segregation and racial focus in Chicago is disturbing to me.

Even black people from Chicago are pretty prejudiced IMO. My husband and I, when we first met, got into heated debates regarding his prejudices of white people. Due to me growing up in a poor neighborhood and a lot of my neighbors being poor, I knew there were poor white people. He would argue with me that white people can't be poor and if they are they aren't as poor as poor black people, which was idiotic to me since even though I was a poor black kid, I had it way better than a lot of the poor white kids in my neighborhood, some of whom did not have shoes or proper winter coats. Luckily he has come a long way. I jokingly call him a "race man" something that back in the day black people called black nationalistic minded black people. He used to not like me calling him that but it doesn't bother him as much anymore and even though he is not nearly as prejudice as he used to be, he is still sort of a race man. FWIW, he was beat up for being black once when he got off of work and was walking through Bridgeport, that and a few other incidents made him very distrustful and prejudiced against white people. He has also been called a N*gg** more times than he can count when he lived in Chicago. He agrees that Atlanta white people are much less racist. He also thinks that black people in Atlanta though are prejudiced against black people in a certain way and I agree with him. Many native black Atlantans are much nicer to white people than they are to black people. It is interesting and weird to me, coming from such a diverse background and being in the same income class as people of all different backgrounds. My husband's experiences and me observing racial relations here in Atlanta make me happy I gew up knowing all sorts of people and did not harbor any sort of prejudices based on ethnic background.
Wow, of all the posts on race-related threads, that might be the most honest, objective, salient post I've encountered.

I'm guessing you are familiar with logic and reason, something 90% of people on here lack.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
it depends on the city... i lived in new orleans and yes people are racist as hell but more quiet about it, but it has nothing on rochester new york, i have had friends be called right out n-words,monkeys,or people grabbing their purses and being called thieves, however in NYC its nothing like that..you can be your self MOST times and not have to worry about a racist encounter..so it depends on the city really.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 AM

374 posts, read 812,442 times
I was raised in Arkansas and the most racist people I've met have come from Ohio and California. It's a different kind of racism, too. A lot of guys from the rural Midwest (Iowa, Nebraska) have never really been around black people before, and aren't used to living around them. That might be a factor.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
Chicago has a kind of hatred for blacks and wants them to go away forever, where Arkansas racism is kind of laid back.

N-Word in Chicago is usually preceded by GD and said with hatred.

N-Word in Arkansas is usually said in replace of A-Hole with a casual smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
I was raised in Arkansas and the most racist people I've met have come from Ohio and California. It's a different kind of racism, too. A lot of guys from the rural Midwest (Iowa, Nebraska) have never really been around black people before, and aren't used to living around them. That might be a factor.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
The real question is why is there still racism in the North and the South.

I've heard some say they were rasied that way, odd because they were also raised to believe in Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy yet becomming an adult they no longer believe of them. So why would you still believe it is okay to be/promote racism?

My grandfather was a bigot, my father grew out of it in his thirties, yet I have never been a prejudice person (attending all Environmentalist schools Private & non-Private school was very diverse).

The North is truely the most segregated region throughout our Great States!

The North possess equally as many foolish bigots as the South.
Most racist place I have traveled to must be Pennsylvania North, next Wisconsin, Minnesota
most disrespectful Racist were in the Florida, next South Carolina, SOUTH

Foolish to be racist.

Last edited by SPECFRCE; 07-25-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
Racism is completely normal.

As my Texas college sociology professor taught:
racism is the psychological equivalent of the body's
natural defense to reject that which is foreign.
How could blacks be possibly considered foreign in the U.S.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies