Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times

Advertisements

It's a fact that the liberal bastions of San Francisco and Seattle are the most hostile to blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

Racism is completely normal.

As my Texas college sociology professor taught:
racism is the psychological equivalent of the body's
natural defense to reject that which is foreign.

Racism isn't natural to me. I think of it as something hateful and something that does harm to people.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It's a fact that the liberal bastions of San Francisco and Seattle are the most hostile to blacks.
Wait a minute, I used to live in the Seattle area,and so did my family. We liked living there. And we are Black. We were not treated with any hostility. However, we did run into hostility in rural areas of Georgia.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
We've lived on military bases, least racist places around. They have their own brand of us and thems based on rank. Among the military it far exceeds prejudices based on any other type of grouping.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
The real question is why is there still racism in the North and the South.

I've heard some say they were rasied that way, odd because they were also raised to believe in Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy yet becomming an adult they no longer believe of them. So why would you still believe it is okay to be/promote racism?

My grandfather was a bigot, my father grew out of it in his thirties, yet I have never been a prejudice person (attending all Environmentalist schools Private & non-Private school was very diverse).

The North is truely the most segregated region throughout our Great States!

The North possess equally as many foolish bigots as the South.
Most racist place I have traveled to must be Pennsylvania North, next Wisconsin, Minnesota
most disrespectful Racist were in the Florida, next South Carolina, SOUTH

Foolish to be racist.
I agree with this. I don't understand how individuals can group people together and stereotype them and prejudge them based on appearance alone. It is and always will be a foreign entity to me.

I do feel lucky to have grown up where and how I grew up. I do know the city I'm from does have some racists but luckily in my community, no one seems to have experienced it. Racism is something that is not just in our country but all over the world. I do feel it stems from poor self worth/confidence. Usually a racist is trying to build him/her self up by spewing ignorance in order to make them seem "better than" another person just because of the color of their skin. It is ridiculous and ignorant and I wish more people would grow up and leave the fairy tale of racism behind them.

I don't even understand the "well I've never been around (insert group) people before" excuse. If you have never been around certain types of people, then you should have nothing to judge them about.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:30 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We've lived on military bases, least racist places around. They have their own brand of us and thems based on rank. Among the military it far exceeds prejudices based on any other type of grouping.
I also agree that the military appears to be the only segment of American society where people can mix and mingle without catching a lot of flack.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
A new study shows that the nypd stops more black men on the streets of new york than anywhere in the country.....the south is upfront still living they're kkk dreams but up north does it in a slick way
They're both descendents of europe so it's in there blood to cause trouble on the earth the original jews are black people the lost tribe of moses and abraham even the bible described jesus as a brown skin man with wool hair

Old 07-25-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I live in Atlanta and have not met any white racists. I am from Ohio and never met any white racist in my hometown either. The only difference is that my hometown was and is much more integrated than Atlanta.

In regards to the cities in the OP, I would say that people, in general, both white and black, are more racist than Atlantans. And this is coming from someone who doesn't have all that great an opinion about Atlanta. But when we were notified we may move to Chicago due to my husband's job (luckily that fell through) I was terrified of moving there even though, on the whole, I think Chicago is a beautiful city. There is just too much prejudice and stereotypes and race focusing there for my taste.

My husband is from Chicago and when I go there I don't see any white people unless I go downtown. It is pretty eerie for me. I live in "the hood" here in Atlanta, in a much worse neighborhood crimewise versus my MILs in Chicago, and we have white people who live in our neighborhood. The whole segregation and racial focus in Chicago is disturbing to me.

Even black people from Chicago are pretty prejudiced IMO. My husband and I, when we first met, got into heated debates regarding his prejudices of white people. Due to me growing up in a poor neighborhood and a lot of my neighbors being poor, I knew there were poor white people. He would argue with me that white people can't be poor and if they are they aren't as poor as poor black people, which was idiotic to me since even though I was a poor black kid, I had it way better than a lot of the poor white kids in my neighborhood, some of whom did not have shoes or proper winter coats. Luckily he has come a long way. I jokingly call him a "race man" something that back in the day black people called black nationalistic minded black people. He used to not like me calling him that but it doesn't bother him as much anymore and even though he is not nearly as prejudice as he used to be, he is still sort of a race man. FWIW, he was beat up for being black once when he got off of work and was walking through Bridgeport, that and a few other incidents made him very distrustful and prejudiced against white people. He has also been called a N*gg** more times than he can count when he lived in Chicago. He agrees that Atlanta white people are much less racist. He also thinks that black people in Atlanta though are prejudiced against black people in a certain way and I agree with him. Many native black Atlantans are much nicer to white people than they are to black people. It is interesting and weird to me, coming from such a diverse background and being in the same income class as people of all different backgrounds. My husband's experiences and me observing racial relations here in Atlanta make me happy I gew up knowing all sorts of people and did not harbor any sort of prejudices based on ethnic background.
Living in suburban Atlanta, I see a very strange dichotomy in Atlanta as far as racial prejudice is concerned. I've taken trips into the city of Atlanta. I have never been called the "n" word there, or anywhere inside of the Perimeter. Outside of the Perimeter, it varies. Places like Marietta and Smyrna, I have not had issues. I used to live in Paulding County in middle school and high school. Occasionally, I go back to visit my parents for Christmas and Thanksgiving. I have encountered alot of racial hostility out there. I've been called the "n" word so many times, particularly when I was in high school. I was even threatened. A few kids would claim they were going to "lynch" me. One kid got mad at me one time and said "go pick my cotton you 'n-word' ". Highs school were integrated "technically". However, there were racial tensions. At might high school, some of the racial tensions revolved around the Confederate flag.

As for your husband's experience, this is how I see it. My father is from Milwaukee, and he doesn't see much difference between the South and the North. In his mind, the only difference is that in the South, there is a "know your place" mentality towards Black people. I have met quite a few Blacks from Chicago living in the Atlanta. From what I have been told by them,many could never understand the way the South works.

My father has also seen hostility between Blacks with dark skin and Blacks with light skin. Prejudice between Blacks isn't limited to the South. However, living in the Atlanta area, I haven't seen any Black Americans harbor prejudice towards other Blacks. I have seen Blacks harbor hatred for Whites. It's there. I think it's less out in the open.

Like you, I knew some poor White people. I think alot of prejudice been held can come from lack of experience, as well as experience. Perhaps you knowing about poor White people from experience played a part in you knowing these things. From my own experiences, even suburban and exurban areas have wide gaps in income. I saw this riding the school bus. I lived in a middle class subdivision and the bus would pick us kids up there. However, the bus route went through horse pastures, places with run down houses, trailers, older working class housing stock. Near my high school there were some rundown houses, an old apartment complex. This in addition to middle class subdivisions and some much larger homes.

Like your husband, I've seen violence from White people. I've been on the receiving end of it too. How much of that violence was racial, I don't know, because when I was getting shot with a paintball gun, or kids were throwing rocks at me, those kids weren't calling me the "n" word or making other racial remarks. I was even beat up in a classroom by White kids, literally the moment my 3rd period class ended. A White kid even broke into my locker and left a threatening note. This is the way I see it. In my high school, there was alot of racial tension. However, I think alot of the Black kids stuck together, hanging around in groups, and I think the "acting hard" might have give the appearance of "don't mess with me". I was basically a bookish Black kid, didn't speak Ebonics, never tried to look "hard", smaller than alot of kids, skinnier, socially awkward. Basically, I was viewed as soft compared to alot of kids, and this might have been part of the reason some White kids messed with me alot. Quite a few Black kids messed with me as well.

In some ways, prejudice and racism in the South are getting more and more sneaky. I've seen people make very bigoted comments, and then claim "we're not racist".

Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

Racism is completely normal.

As my Texas college sociology professor taught:
racism is the psychological equivalent of the body's
natural defense to reject that which is foreign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Would you say white folks in Chicago or Boston are more or less racist than whites in Houston or Atlanta?
Whites are a minority in Atlanta. It's not too smart to be racist and outnumbered. Your professor was pretty smart. He compared an auto-immune system, basically a defense system on auto pilot, to a person's brain,i which they can also just put on auto-pilot. Or they can not. It's a choice to react to stimuli. Wow. Those two things are totally different systems. Better let that professor know what an idiot he was, ASAP.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I think a lot of the experience with racism depends upon what part of town one lives in and who one chooses to associate with.

My first 3 years living in Chicago, I was in the hydepark area and 6 months in oak park. I couldnt see what everyone was complaining about when the issue of racism would come up. I don't hang out with racist people nor do I look for racism. I thought I was in some utopia.

When I moved to west side of lake view, within a short year I see a totally different world that I have never experienced before. Being called the n word by a drag queen in boystown. Being yelled at ****** go back to your own neighborhood. Scaring people who have stereotypes about black people. This is some 1920's Birmingham stuff here. What's worse is that natives believe it is normal.

I've learned throughout my little experience in life is that anyone can be racist regardless of where you live. It comes in different forms bit it is a sad testimony to humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies