Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Probably the North. The North is the new South.

What about California. It's the birthplace of the Aryan Brotherhood, Lowriderz, and Public Enemy No. 1.
I don't think there is a big difference between the North and South in terms of racial prejudice. I've dealt with so much of it in the South, so to say that the South is some bastion of harmony isn't correct according to my experience.

I've been to California and never felt any tension out there. Maybe it was because I was there for 4 days. I was also in Glendale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 03:06 AM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Ive had the same experience in Chicago. People expect you to except their stupid ways up here. I don't believe Chicagoans hide their racism very well at all. It's out in the open and excepted here. Especially among liberals. I've heard Boston is the same way.

The southeast hide their nasty side very well. You can have an integrated neighborhood with a klansman living next door to a black panther and never know it by looking at the neighborhood. Everyone appears friendly but very sneaky.

No part of the country is less racist than the other, there are different forms of it.
As a white guy who grew up in Chicago, and has plenty of experience traveling into predominantly black neighborhoods, I have to 100% agree with you, djacques, and joebald about this. I had 2 very disappointing experiences encountering those who were ignorantly racist a couple of years back(luckily it wasn't hostile, but still it just made me think WTFH!?!), one of them being on a trolley bus of a very mixed group of people years ago traveling between blues clubs on the south side of Chicago when some idiot blacks loitering on a street corner(it was off of Cottage Grove and either 79th or 87th St., my memory is foggy about the exact intersection except that I remember it was definitely off of Cottage Grove) suddenly yelled anti-white slurs at the trolley(never mind the trolley I was on must've been slightly under 50% white on it), and the other was when I was sitting on the bench of a park in a mostly black(but it was a neighborhood also w/a small percentage of whites) neighborhood when a black boy walked up to me saying something I don't remember that was ignorantly racist(though at least he wasn't hostile about it), then walked away. I just ignored that boy when it occurred, and thankfully I didn't run into him again in that park.

OTOH when I was visiting a now late family friend(as she sadly died in 2012) who was a maid in the central Georgia town my dad grew up in back in the early or mid-2000s, all the blacks I encountered in that neighborhood(and not just her family) were extremely friendly to me. So yes, I have to at least unfortunately conclude(though I'm less sure about patterns of white attitudes of those who are racist against blacks, and hopefully I never have to encounter people like that ever in my life) that blacks are a little more hostile against whites in the Midwest, vs. in the South. I've always supposedly heard that(and thankfully) that there's supposed to be much less white vs. black racism(and vice versa with reverse racism from blacks against whites) in Mountain West and west coast states, as those areas have less historical separate living patterns(when it comes to the areas whites and blacks choose to settle and live in), vs. the more established(and mostly self segregating) living patterns one more notices between whites and blacks in the Midwest, plus also in the South.

Finally, this map says it all about the high amount of self segregation that still exists been whites and blacks in many Midwest and Southern cities(once you go to this Census map site, go to the bottom arrow tab in view more maps, and go to Racial/Ethnic distribution):
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 06-20-2013, 04:28 AM

567 posts, read 1,119,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We've lived on military bases, least racist places around. They have their own brand of us and thems based on rank. Among the military it far exceeds prejudices based on any other type of grouping.
My dad once said "that's the beautiful thing about the Army. Everyone gets treated equally: like sh**."

Old 06-20-2013, 04:44 AM

This particular enigma is one that will be with us for a long time.

I once met an elderly black man who had been a hobo during the Great Depression. He was passing through an area of Oklahoma that had both Northerners and Southerners living there. He said that if he knocked on someone's door asking for food and they nervously said "I'm sorry, we've got nothing to spare" he would impute two things: 1) they were Northerners; 2) there was a fair chance they were lying. On the other hand, if the person opened the door and shouted "round the back, n***r!" he would know two things: 1) they were Southerners; 2) if he would go to the kitchen window around the back of the house, the lady of the house would hand him a steaming hot plate of food.

Here's my simplistic reduction:

Northern Racism: some guy named Vinny Cucinelli or Kevin O'Sullivan chasing a black guy down the street with a tire iron screaming "you're in the wrong [bleep]ing neighborhood you g'damn [bleep]ing n****r!!!"

Southern Racism: some elderly white lady patting a little black kid on the head. "Bless my stars, but aren't you just the most adorable little n****r child?"

Old 06-20-2013, 04:45 AM

Oh, and regarding the Southwest, Arizona in particular.

I think most of the hardcore anti-Mexican sentiment comes from Rust Belt retirees, and not from the whites that are actually from there.

Midwestern Racism for the win!

Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 AM

199 posts, read 160,934 times
They're all bigoted. geographical location is irrelevant. Black people need to stop doing this and wake up for once.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:04 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Would you say white folks in Chicago or Boston are more or less racist than whites in Houston or Atlanta?

The South has more of an "in your face" racism. The North is just as racist, only it's more of a stealth kind of racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies