Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
No my morals just fine. I belive in charitable casues and helping others. I belive in community responsiblity. However, I don't believe that expecting people to pay their way is too much to ask. I did not say that someone making alot of money should not pay more. However, if someone is paying 15 milion on a 100 millipon dollar investment income, why should htey pay more? So it can be redistributed? They are already paying more for a specific set of services. Your telling me that 15 million isn't enough? Your rationale is, oh....life is bad for others, we need their money to help others out.
What about consequences for bad choices that people made? No accountibility?

There is plenty of money to go around, I don't believe that only a few control most of the wealth. Wealth is constantly created, it is not static and set at one amount.
Sure they pay more, because they made more. As a percentage they pay less than you, but you are perfectly fine with that, but are not o.k. with a teacher paying less than you. Like I said, the rich have a great propaganda machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If that's what you believe then you don't know what you are taking about:

A few control most of the nation's wealth
Chuckles, easy to use charts that can be misleading and without context. Means are difficult to interpret.

http://cbo.gov/sites/default/files/c...ndFedTaxes.pdf

Try something from the CBO.

This tells me that 50% of high income earners (revenue source) pay almost 70% fed income taxes, and 50% of low income earners (revenue source/total) pay just over 30% fed income taxes.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If that's what you believe then you don't know what you are taking about:

A few control most of the nation's wealth
Sources would be nice, and again why does it matter about wealth accumulation. There is plenty to go around and more is created. Work hard or have a good idea or educate oneself and one can create wealth.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Sure they pay more, because they made more. As a percentage they pay less than you, but you are perfectly fine with that, but are not o.k. with a teacher paying less than you. Like I said, the rich have a great propaganda machine.
THat is not what I said. I want someone who uses a service to pay something for it, period. I would be for a flat tax, make everyone pay the same %, however, i see investment income and earned income seperately.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Perhaps, but I say there is a middle ground.

http://cbo.gov/sites/default/files/c...ndFedTaxes.pdf

According to CBO, top 50% income earners close to 70% federal income taxes
Bottom 50% income earners, pay just over 30% federal income taxes
Your statistics are wrong. I believe you read the CBO's report incorrectly.

The top 50% of income earners paid 97.7% of the federal income tax revenue.

The bottom 50% of income earners paid only 2.3%.

SOI Tax Stats - Individual Statistical Tables by Size of Adjusted Gross Income

Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
THat is not what I said. I want someone who uses a service to pay something for it, period. I would be for a flat tax, make everyone pay the same %, however, i see investment income and earned income seperately.

Well we disagree. That is your opinion. Mine is different. I would not mind if everyone payed the same percentage of income as long as it included capital gains and estate tax. The wealthy should not be taxed less just because they did not have to actually do work for it. That really makes no sense. I don't see a rational argument to the contrary.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:41 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Good. And don't bellyache how they are supporting us. The rich get the government that they buy, or are you really this ****ing obtuse?

Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Good. And don't bellyache how they are supporting us. The rich get the government that they buy, or are you really this ****ing obtuse?
The top 50% of Americans are rich? Really? Define rich and cite your source.

Look at the IRS tables... The top 50% begins with an income of $32,396. You think that's rich?

Old 07-25-2012, 01:46 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
With the Bush tax cuts I see people who get a tax return check for more then they paid in, so it's worse then some folks not paying taxes, they are essentially getting a welfare check at the end of the year. Not to mention non-citizens getting huge tax return checks for children that have never stepped foot in our country. Our tax policies in this country are FUBAR.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

You are correct, I did interpret wrong. The highest income quintile represents 20%, not 50%, and they pay close to 70% of income taxes. However, they represent only 50% of income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies