Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,467,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The top 50% of Americans are rich? Really? Define rich and cite your source.

Look at the IRS tables... The top 50% begins with an income of $32,396. You think that's rich?
You made those definition in order to flame me, so go suck on it.

I said people are too rich who buy out Washington. Obviously, you disagree and that is ok. I just ask that you leave our union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,892,052 times
Quote:
You don't believe in everyone paying their fair share?
That all depends upon your notion of a fair share. I think that the progressive income tax system is fair. Those with the most and can afford the burden assume the burden. I have a large income and don't mind paying more so the elderly on fixed incomes pay less.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,311,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
No flat-tax proposal I have seen calls for a 35% rate. The one from Freedomworks is 15%. At 15%, we couldn't fund the government, however.

The logical flat tax proposal, says that you eliminate all government taxes, all corporate taxes, all gas taxes, all phone taxes, social security, medicare, everything.

Then, you add up "how much money does the government need every year", then you take that amount, and calculate a tax rate needed for all of the government the people want.

Could be 35%, might be 30.

But again, men like Romney are making millions and paying 0 in taxes. A flat tax would eliminate that.

Also, most flat tax proposals wouldn't tax all income. Most say that the first 20,000 to 30,000 dollars EVERY individual makes, wouldn't be taxed.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:46 PM

88,648 posts, read 44,393,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
You made those definition in order to flame me, so go suck on it.
What? YOU made the comment.

Quote:
I said people are too rich who buy out Washington.
No, you didn't. Here's what Secchamps98, I, and then you said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Perhaps, but I say there is a middle ground.

http://cbo.gov/sites/default/files/c...ndFedTaxes.pdf

According to CBO, top 50% income earners close to 70% federal income taxes
Bottom 50% income earners, pay just over 30% federal income taxes

THis is nuts...if the Govt wants more revenue, why not more of a balance in taxes?
Your statistics are wrong. I believe you read the CBO's report incorrectly.

The top 50% of income earners paid 97.7% of the federal income tax revenue.

The bottom 50% of income earners paid only 2.3%.

SOI Tax Stats - Individual Statistical Tables by Size of Adjusted Gross Income
Good. And don't bellyache how they are supporting us. The rich get the government that they buy, or are you really this ****ing obtuse?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,470,229 times
Quote:
No flat-tax proposal I have seen calls for a 35% rate. The one from Freedomworks is 15%. At 15%, we couldn't fund the government, however.

Freedomworks. What a surprise that they would agitate for lower taxes on the elites.

Check out the info on them at SourceWatch. Click on the links highlighting which two organizations were merged to create Freedomworks. Notice especially the presence of the Koch brothers, Bill Bennett and Jack Kemp. Then check out the donors and follow them back too. It's all there for anyone who cares to see.

What you'll discover is that very labyrinth of interconnected think tanks and interest groups I spoke of earlier, the ones which disguise who's actually setting the agenda. Freedomworks is a classic example of how the right wing elites manage public opinion and dictate prospective laws to their friends in the GOP at every level of government.

FreedomWorks - SourceWatch

Old 07-25-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
That all depends upon your notion of a fair share. I think that the progressive income tax system is fair. Those with the most and can afford the burden assume the burden.
That would still happen with a flat tax.

Example: 15% flat tax.

Person 1 earns $4,000,000 and pays $600,000 tax
Person 2 earns $40,000 and pays $6,000 tax

Which is greater, $6,000 or $600,000? Who has the biggest burden? Who is paying for FAR more than he gets in return, and who is actually still being subsidized by those who pay more than he does for the same benefits and services?

Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 PM

385 posts, read 357,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The first step in self defense is realizing you are being attacked. Every working person in the US is under assault by the corrupt businessmen and their RW political slaves. We should have realized decades ago but RW propaganda has kept us distracted with race and religion.

Romney made millions destroying American jobs and the RW working poor are still going to vote for him. Mammon wins another and Herr Gobbles is grinning in Hell.
strongly agree, however it is both republicans and democrats who are engaging in attacks against the average american.

Both parties are creating a dependent class (a welfare class), democrats openly support this, while republicans sort of act like they don't, but when push comes to shove they usually do. Again another example of the parties having no true differences, they just try to appear like they do.

If you are part of the dependent class you are not being help by these programs that allow you to do nothing and still get the means to survive. They are destroying you!

All the repub/dem is a goddamn bs talk. Wow so dems want highest earns to pay 39%, while republicans want 35%. What a huge friggen difference, what a GAME CHANGER. (insert sarcasm)

It means NOTHING

Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,892,052 times
Quote:
That would still happen with a flat tax.

Example: 15% flat tax.

Person 1 earns $4,000,000 and pays $600,000 tax
Person 2 earns $40,000 and pays $6,000 tax

Which is greater, $6,000 or $600,000? Who has the biggest burden? Who is paying for FAR more than he gets in return, and who is actually still being subsidized by those who pay more than he does for the same benefits and services?
I would contend that $6,000 is more significant to a couple earning $40,000 than $600,000 is to someone earning 4,000,000. The later can still live in abundant luxury.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I would contend that $6,000 is more significant to a couple earning $40,000 than $600,000 is to someone earning 4,000,000. The later can still live in abundant luxury.
That's a value judgment which may or may not be correct. You have no idea what someone's expenses are. For example, the $4,000,000 earner may be self-insured and have a child with an expensive and difficult to treat illness. He may not have that extra $600,000 to pay for taxes.

Meanwhile, the earner paying $6,000 is still not paying his share of the government's expenses, and is still being HEAVILY subsidized by the earners paying more (and frequently MUCH more) than he is.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 PM

You can tell by my posts that I have a problem with tax slavery.

I'm surprised liberals and Dems support any kind of slavery, at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies