Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 PM

83 posts, read 69,268 times

Advertisements

What a crock of crap. It's like having a title, with NO POWER.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/19/wa...n/19immig.html

This is ridiculous. We need this thing to be made into a law which states that no other media can be used except English in America on official documents and in business arenas.

The days of Press 1 for ENGLISH need to come to an end Pablo!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,662,097 times
Excellent idea!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:00 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,134,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRR View Post

This is ridiculous. We need this thing to be made into a law which states that no other media can be used except English in America on official documents and in business arenas.

the french mistake
hold on hold on hold on til your teeth fall out.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,936 times
Default I completely agree

I was listening to John and Ken in the morning on AM radio and they were saying that in the future English will no longer be our national language because the mexicans are breeding at a faster rate than all other nationalities combined.

My daughter goes to public school and I was asked last year if I wanted her in an "all english" class....I couldn't believe my ears!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:08 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,571,979 times
Critics said they fear the directive could lead government agencies to scale back their bilingual efforts, cause discrimination against people who do not speak English, disrupt emergency operations in communities with populations of immigrants and have other unintended consequences.

Who gives a rats a*s - learn the language of the land in which you migrated to - PERIOD! I don't understand what is so difficult about our Politicians enforcing this?
The Senate retained a requirement that a green card be granted only if the Labor Department certified a need for workers.
I'm so sure we can trust the labor departments statement that there is a certified need for workers?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 PM

1,409 posts, read 4,850,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRR View Post

Exactly! This "national language" crap is just doublespeak to make it look like they're doing something.

What needs to happen is that we make English the official language. That would give it legal standing as the language of government and business.

"National" language? Pffss...heck, English already is our national language; making it the official language would be helpful in keeping it so!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,068,465 times
You guys should take a deep breath. This country has always had influx of immigrants who speak other languages. English has always prevailed, to the point where now, it is the international language of business.

We're going to be okay. If pressing one is that big of a concern to you, I'd say you have bigger problems going on.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:39 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,662,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
You guys should take a deep breath. This country has always had influx of immigrants who speak other languages. English has always prevailed, to the point where now, it is the international language of business.

We're going to be okay. If pressing one is that big of a concern to you, I'd say you have bigger problems going on.
I disagree, this is just one symptom of a much larger problem.

We've never had so many tens of millions of immigrants and illegal aliens pouring into this nation. They are literally changing the face of America. So much so that in many parts of the country immigrants and illegal aliens can live their entire lives without speaking English at all. Schools are failing to teach students. Crime rates are soaring, and many areas of the country are now resembling a third world nation.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:48 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,068,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post

We've never had so many tens of millions of immigrants and illegal aliens pouring into this nation. They are literally changing the face of America. So much so that in many parts of the country immigrants and illegal aliens can live their entire lives without speaking English at all. Schools are failing to teach students. Crime rates are soaring, and many areas of the country are now resembling a third world nation.

Case in point. Relax, chicken little. Talk about hyperbole. If you think may areas of this country now resemble a third world nation, you don't know what third world nations look like.

Actually, we have experienced immigration at this rate before. And, horror of horrors, people in the US have lived their entire lives without learning english before. The trend here is not much different than any other immigration wave. First generation immigrants do not learn English, or learn very little. The vast majority of second generation immigrants do. By the third generation, english is the primary language, and the original language begins to be phased out.

If you ever want to leave your ethnic enclave, you have to learn English. The incentive is already there.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:48 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,571,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post

I agree with you Hawkeye you are so right. Although America does have a lot of immigrants, the difference is that with other immigrants in American, they were/are sure to ensure that their children (at the very least) learned and mastered the English language. You have children and families from Ruwanda who have learned and mastered the English language better than any of these Mexican illegals. They still hold true to their heritage and original language however they RESPECT the fact that they were ALLOWED into the U.S. for safe haven. For some reason these illegals have absolutely NO RESPECT for the U.S. and to me, continuing to snub their noses at learning the English language is basically like spitting in my face (that may be a bit harsh but that's my opinion). I heard this morning briefly (the butt end of a radio talk show) as I was starting the car something about one of the Texas school districts having a meeting regarding the need for more bilingual teachers or parents complaining about not having enough bilingual instructors - I'm like Now you're going to have immigrants being hired over Americans to teach your children and i'm sure they'll be bypassing the necessary qualifications just to fill the gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies