Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:00 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I've heard of these interviews, part of the cultural activities of the New Deal I believe. I'd be interested too.
As an FYI, here's a link to some of the stories online.

They're also available on Amazon - and a free download if you have a Kindle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
As an FYI, here's a link to some of the stories online.

They're also available on Amazon - and a free download if you have a Kindle.
Thanks for the link. Book marked it. Would be a great read for all

Old 08-16-2012, 12:15 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
'Many former slaves were interviewed during the Great Depression and recorded"
Well put some links down. I for one am interested in the history and like the saying goes "if you don't learn from history you are doomed to repeat it".
You can visit the library of congress website for info on slave histories and the collection they have as well. You can also visit ancestry.com, they have a large amount of these interviews transcribed. I even found one of a lady my grandma knew! It was really interesting. The interviewee went to my family's church and my grandma knew her when grandma was a child and my great grandma knew her as well. Grandma never knew she was a slave until I found that transcription. It was on ancestry.com which I looked through for free at the library and just looked up my hometown and that interview came up.

In regards to the influence of colonialism, anyone would be better off not having their land stolen and their people killed or abused and being stripped of their humanity while also being relegated as sex slaves or slaves in general. Many people were made to be laborers for various European "companies" that set up shop in many areas around the world. I can agree that one would never know if another, native to a continent invader, would have been more brutal, but the people affected by colonizers like those who worked in rubber plants and who didn't work fast enough so had limbs chopped off, more than likely would have not worked in the rubber industry and would have lived their lives with their limbs.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Worry about the Communists being let in by the Dems.
Wow. That's an amazingly dumb statement. There isn't even a single communist in either of our corporately dominated political parties.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:27 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
I see nothing wrong with his comments. African American's of today have clearly benefited from the pain and suffering of their forefathers. There's no denying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies