Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
People who warn of cameras being installed in peoples homes by "big brother" are often dismissed as paranoid loons, but as time goes on, that possibility seems ever more realistic. Think about it..... There are already cameras in every other location you go. On street corners, in buildings, in parking lots etc. The government has shown that they have no problem violating your 4th amendment rights with the recent NSA scandals. Is monitoring people in their homes really that far off you think?

As far as all the smoking legislation.... well, we tried to warn you. When these bans first started getting passed in the 90's, we warned that it wouldn't stop at diners and bars etc. That they would soon come for smokers in other places like outdoor venues. You all laughed at us.... insisted it'd never happen, that these bans are meant only to protect employees inside these places. Now Smoking is banned in parks and beaches and a number of other outdoor venues all over the country. Then we warned you that soon they'd intrude even further in to places like your car. Again you laughed, and now they are starting the process of passing bans in cars with kids in many states. Then we tried to warn you that soon, they'll start trying to ban smoking in your home, again we were laughingly dismissed and told to go make a new tinfoil hat....... Are you still laughing now? Now that they've set a precedent, now that they've effectively got a foot in the door, who knows what else you could be regulated out of doing in your own home. All this intrusion in the name of safety. Keep laughing sheep, laugh all the way to the slaughter house.....
Think how much safer we'd be in there were cameras in everyone's homes monitoring them 24/7. If it stopped one terrorist from cooking up a bomb in his basement wouldn't it all be worth it? Surely you're not in favor or terrorism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:18 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't know where we draw the line. I tend to think of things in reverse though and see how it looks, like what if smoking never existed and suddenly, today, it was discovered and all the knowledge and negative aspects of it were revealed. Would we insist on allowing it everywhere?

I've never smoked and have never really lived among smokers but I've had friends who smoke and I've been to their homes all I can say is...UGGH! If that isn't something that negatively effects the quality of life for everyone who has to live with that smell (and secondhand whathaveyou's) I don't know what is.

A case can be made based on that over other things as well....smells, noises, etc. And usually there ARE rules about that stuff because people ARE NOT responsible with their liberties and tell everyone else to just go ***K themselves if they don't' like it. People are animals sometimes. And there is a trade off of personal liberties when you choose to make "your own home" a high density apartment or condo vs a house in the country with land around it. There are things you can do at one that you definitely can't do at another. That's just how it goes.

I'm fascinated by some of the ideas in the city of Santa Monica even if I'm not convinced everything they do is right.
I think a lot of people are with you on this. If it's not something you personally do, then ban it. I feel that way about people riding bikes. I'd LOVE to see bike riding taxed. Or organic foods. I'd love to see taxes doubled or tripled on that since it's gaining popularity & I don't buy it. I'd also like to see bans on cooking organic foods in an apartment complex because frankly the smell of vegetables annoys me & again, it's not something I do, so ban it.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Think how much safer we'd be in there were cameras in everyone's homes monitoring them 24/7. If it stopped one terrorist from cooking up a bomb in his basement wouldn't it all be worth it? Surely you're not in favor or terrorism?
I see you have read 1984.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Exactly! It should be at the discretion of the landlord, without government interference! As you said in a previous post, with all of this banning....where does it end?
Often times it is landlords pushing for these cigarette bans because it makes their lives easier. A landlord has a much easier time kicking a tenant out if they break a city wide ban than if they violate a lease agreement.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F40 View Post
Pheww...I just recently quit fumarring 6 months ago. Even when I smoked I hated the smell of cigarette smoke. This is good because it will encourage more people to stop smoking.
No it won't. I live in California, home of the "nanny state laws," and the catalyst for many of these full smoking bans (the nearby town of Belmont has banned smoking in ENTIRETY - private or public). Yet I still smoke, as do many people around here... our numbers are lower than nationwide numbers, but I think that's almost always been the case. And whenever I stay in a non-smoking hotel or home, I just smoke outside instead; as I always do, in fact, since I don't like exposing my animals to smoke inside my apartment. So yeah, passing these bans won't magically make addicted smokers quit.

And if we're going to ban things just because they smell bad, I can add a whole BUNCH of products to that list - some of which are just as harmful, especially to those of us with allergies. Perfume, anyone? I have to work with the public every day, and there are times a person comes in smelling SO strongly of perfume, I have to excuse myself for a while (terribly allergic). Just the other day I had to sit in my back office for like 30 minutes, because I couldn't even be within the same space as this perfume-laden woman. But I still wouldn't support a ban on perfume, since that is my problem, not theirs.

P.S. Congrats on quitting! I'm always trying, but have yet to succeed for long. (I have cut down a bit, thanks to the e-cigs)

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-15-2014 at 08:44 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 08:26 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
I said "bye bye" to Santa Monica (and California) years ago and don't regret it for one second. The problem is that now all of those nanny-state control freaks from California are moving to Colorado and trying to destroy it too...just like they are doing in Texas and Oregon.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I bet if MJ was legal THAT would be allowed
Then you would lose that bet, because it basically is legal here already, and the same rules apply to both tobacco & MJ. Here in CA "medical" use is legal (and extremely easy to obtain), while recreational use is decriminalized - meaning it's no more of a crime than rolling a stop sign. And the general laws are that ALL smoking is banned if a place is deemed "non smoking." Whether they enforce these laws equally is debatable, since both civilians and LE officers are less likely to care about MJ smoke; but technically speaking, they don't just allow one and not the other.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I said "bye bye" to Santa Monica (and California) years ago and don't regret it for one second. The problem is that now all of those nanny-state control freaks from California are moving to Colorado and trying to destroy it too...just like they are doing in Texas and Oregon.
If you're from California, how are you not part of this supposed migration and change? Funny thing is, the native Coloradans probably say the same about you! "Darned Californians hiking up our real estate, and making us pass new laws." *Grumble grumble, get off my porch.*

People who make comments like this remind me of something my grandmother used to say - Wherever you go, there you are. In other words, I bet you'd find someone else to blame if you'd moved to a different state. Not to mention, how many NATIVE Californians relocate every year? Not many, I would imagine, so you might be directing that blame at the wrong state. I'm originally from Maryland, so if I moved to your neighborhood and created problems, would you call me a darned Californian or a darned Marylander? Hmmmm.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-15-2014 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickquestionca View Post
I live in an apartment complex in Santa Monica. One of the tenants smokes hemp/marijuana for medical reasons apparently. This seems contradictive to the cig. smoking bans. He does it daily obsessively and bodly, late night/early mornings.

Contradictively, he then registers complaints against tenants who smoke. (i.e. it's OK for him to smoke marijuana, but not Ok to smoke cigs.) It leaves a lingering stinch in other units furniture, clothing, skin etc. Are there laws against smoking hemp and marijuana for medical reasons in apartments?

It is then camaflouged with a profuse chemical, which causing your eyes to burn and throat to swell. An elderly guy just went to hospital for heart/throat swelling. What about other tenants who may be allergic, as well as it's intoxicating affect when they have to drive to work etc. What are the laws for smoking medical marijuana in an apartment building complex? Don't other tenants have the right not to be inoxicated against their will?
First of all, you cannot smoke "hemp" - that is a fiber, which would probably taste nasty and definitely wouldn't get you high. But as I stated above, the rules are supposed to apply equally to both cigarette & marijuana smoke. Although as I also said above, they aren't always ENFORCED equally; and with the medical angle, there might be some sort of ADA protection. But since you are concerned about those with allergies, do you share that concern with people like me who are allergic to perfumes/flowers? Would it be fair for me to demand NONE of the other tenants use perfume, scented oils, candles, incense, or even grow flowers on their patios? Hopefully you see the double-standard there, if your answer would be no. If someone is that allergic to other people's habits, I would say they need to explore single-family home rentals or sales instead.

Even though I'm a medical MJ user myself, I've never really explored that issue, since nobody around here cares much. My neighbor (with whom I have become friends) once said she can smell it occasionally, but it doesn't bother her like it bothers you. If it's really that big of a problem, talk to your landlord... or even better, be a mature adult and speak with your neighbor directly. I once had a neighbor ask me directly about the volume of my TV at night, so I was willing to work with them on a solution (which involved simply moving it to another wall). Maturity and direct non-confrontational conversations can go a long way, whereas whining like a baby to the landlord or cops will probably just cause more trouble. Not saying you were going to do that, just as a general statement.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-15-2014 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Property rights are so passe in the united nanny states of amerika.
[/indent]
The Nanny state bigots are winning the war. Government will always expand it's power over the people until something traumatic occurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies