Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times

Advertisements

Grow my own baccy and brew my own beer,the gov can go wish for my money. The black market fills any disruptions in my production. tax this fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Alcoholism is a pretty big disease in the US. As are its eventual effects such as cirrhosis. And of course there are tons of drunk driving deaths each year, often taking innocent lives. Hell half the time you read a story about drunk driving, it's the drunk who lives and the family of four who die. Why doesn't the government treat drinkers the way it treats smokers? Why don't they increase taxes on alcohol? Why don't they run ads encouraging people to call a help line? Why don't they institute more drinking bans, maybe preventing you from buying more than a six-pack a day?

You'd think the nanny statists would just love to help these souls

Maybe you could start some sort of movement, maybe call it the temperance movement? Wait.... that has been tried before....

Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
In his memoir "The Prince of Darkness," Bob Novak detailed his alcohol use and wrote about how DC floated on a sea of booze.

The Prince of Darkness | The Drunken Conservatives

In my region (Seattle area) hardly a year goes by without at least one politician and one Seahawk popped for DUI. My County Council rep got a DUI driving on the bridge accross Lake Washington in her Mercedes and still won re-election. One of our state Supreme Court Justices was popped from DUI, also in a Mercedes. She plowed into a parked car, kept going, and was boxed in and stopped by a another driver who witnessed it. She was 3 times the legal limit. Nonetheless she stayed on the court.
What you speak of is against the law just like buying smoke. Now I'm not exactly sure what the laws for possession are in every area I'm sure they vary. What I never understood was making it legal to drink which induces one to engage in irresponsible behavior then turn around and punish them for doing said behavior. It makes no sense when you look at it.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,223 times
The government can produce a public service announcement with the voice of a Jewish girl from a New York Arts Academy saying how if she took a cab she would not have killed a pedestrian.

Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving!!!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
I'd argue that it's highly possible to drink responsibly, just as it is to drive responsibly. So encouraging them to quit drinking altogether would be going a bit overboard, I think.

Seeing as how, although one might say a smoker can smoke responsibly, that's not quite as easy to say because when you smoke a cigarette... everyone around you does as well, whether they have one in their mouth or not. Plus it stinks up furniture, turns walls yellow, etc.

ETA: Retraction! If you get drunk enough, drinking can also turn walls yellow. I apologize to all for overlooking this fact!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times
If only the government would do more for us.... what a bunch of crap.

Maybe they can start a new department, with layers of bureaucracy, and billion dollar budgets that we pay for.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,543 times
Honestly, I wish alcohol didn't exist. Far too many people abuse it and kill innocent people all the time.

I gave up drinking thankfully and now wonder why so many people depend on it to "loosen up" "relax" or have a good time.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
I used to drink a bit. I think it just becomes second nature after a while especially on weekends and the like. Go golfing get a six pack. Go watch the ballgame at your friends house grab some beers on the way. Fire up the BBQ grab ya a beer. Amazing the amount of money you spend on that stuff when you decide to stick with the ice tea most of the time. lol

Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Honestly, I wish alcohol didn't exist. Far too many people abuse it and kill innocent people all the time.

I gave up drinking thankfully and now wonder why so many people depend on it to "loosen up" "relax" or have a good time.
Same here, and since I've quit, I don't like being around drinking people. It's overwhelmingly America's drug of choice, so nothing will probably be done about it.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:32 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Same here, and since I've quit, I don't like being around drinking people. It's overwhelmingly America's drug of choice, so nothing will probably be done about it.

i would rather be around a smoker or pot smoker than someone thats drunk anytime of the day..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies