Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times

Advertisements

Until a dead person, kid or pet votes, there is no voter fraud.

Voter registration problems arise when we pay people to gather "new voters."

This overwhelmingly results in NO ACTUAL VOTER FRAUD, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EjjJwp View Post
In my neighboring state of PA, it is the GOP who are realigning voting districts and adding new rules such as the photo ID etc to make it harder for seniors or others to get out and vote, as they figure it will help their side to win. What do we want another Florida mess?
If they are going to add a photo ID requirement, they need to give more then a couple months time for folks to get an ID.

I would think that most elderly people already have an ID. You'd think during 65+ years on this planet, they would have gotten a photo ID or driver's license by now. Anyway, there plenty of churches, and community organizations who would volunteer to take grandma to the DMV to get an ID, and old folks homes where the DMV could come to them.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
"In Texas, evidence of voter fraud abounds. In recent years, my office has secured more than 50 voter fraud convictions. Those include a woman who voted in place of her dead mother, a political operative who cast ballots for two people, and a city councilmember who registered foreign nationals to vote in an election decided by 19 votes. Voter fraud is hard to detect, so cases like these are just the tip of the iceberg."

In Texas, evidence of voter fraud abounds

Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
"In Texas, evidence of voter fraud abounds. In recent years, my office has secured more than 50 voter fraud convictions. Those include a woman who voted in place of her dead mother, a political operative who cast ballots for two people, and a city councilmember who registered foreign nationals to vote in an election decided by 19 votes. Voter fraud is hard to detect, so cases like these are just the tip of the iceberg."

In Texas, evidence of voter fraud abounds
That's the point. 50 is not a large number compared to the number of legitimate voters. To stop those 50 or a few hundred, the GOP wants to prevent a million or so legitimate voters from voting. Nobody in their right-mind would believe that's their real reason.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If they are going to add a photo ID requirement, they need to give more then a couple months time for folks to get an ID.

I would think that most elderly people already have an ID. You'd think during 65+ years on this planet, they would have gotten a photo ID or driver's license by now. Anyway, there plenty of churches, and community organizations who would volunteer to take grandma to the DMV to get an ID, and old folks homes where the DMV could come to them.
Actually, they didn't use photo IDs except in the last couple of decades. NYS drivers licenses didn't use them until the late 1980s. Older and poor voters may not have cars or passports. It's not unreasonable for a voter to lack photo ID. Remember, even a homeless person has the right to vote.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Make sure the next time you see an older person or an African American or Latino you tell them you feel they're too ignorant or lame to be able to go to any of the free services or the many subsidized services to get a photo ID. Tell them you're looking out for their best interest by assuming they'll never need to go to a bank, cash a check, buy any materials deemed adult only or ever have the need to request an official document from any government agency.

Some of you folks are ridiculous.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:07 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That's the point. 50 is not a large number compared to the number of legitimate voters. To stop those 50 or a few hundred, the GOP wants to prevent a million or so legitimate voters from voting. Nobody in their right-mind would believe that's their real reason.

Many races have been won by less then that.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I do not dispute that "it happens." What I object to is the remedy. For a problem that looks like a few hundred voters over a couple of years, the GOP wants to prevent a million people in Pennsylvania from voting. I contend that "the problem" is an excuse to crookedly swing an election that they fear they will lose. If the GOP wants to win elections, I suggest they change their positions to attract more voters not prevent the opposing eligible voters from voting.

One cannot legitimately defend denying a million voters their right to vote in order to stop a few hundred people, which is a minor problem, from erroneously voting.

Once again, it's the remedy that I dispute. Your analogy is equivalent if the "solution" proposed was to castrating all males so as to prevent the possibility of child rape.
Show my a million people turned away from legitimately voting?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Show my a million people turned away from legitimately voting?
Since the ID law hasn't yet gone into effect and the election is next November, we'll have to jump into a time machine to meet the people turned away. Until then, we'll have to rely upon experts in the field.

Expert Testifies That 1 Million Voters Affected by PA Voter ID Law | FDL News Desk
One million voters don't have ID to vote, professor testifies in Harrisburg
ACLU: Over 1 million Pennsylvanians think they have proper voter ID, but they don’t | theGrio
Pa. Voter ID Testimony:‘1 million lack it’

Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Funny their excuse is they bought mailing lists that had those names on them
I have worked with mailing lists for telemarketing years ago and you do not get mailing lists with pets on them now occasionally a deceased person for obvious reasons. But never pets or children.
Bet money that these are registered voters they are trying to reconnect with.

Oh and you can bet the Capitol one Credit card someone tried to use their pets name to get one probably because they had bad credit.

Hundreds of complaints have been filed in regards to the nonprofit group Voter Participation Center’s errant mailings to primarily Demcorat leaning voting blocs
The organization has been mass-mailing the forms — pre-populated with key information such as names and addresses — to primarily Democratic-leaning voting blocs such as young adults, unmarried women, African-Americans and Latinos.
Their numbers reflected 15,026 new voters being registered as of July 18.

Read more: Dems Caught Trying to Register Deceased Voters and Pets! : Freedom Outpost

No, Democrats Aren’t Trying To Register Kids And Dogs To Vote
So how did cats, dogs and kids get on the list to begin with? Much like direct mail companies, the center obtained commercial mailing lists of Virginia residents from various vendors. The same thing occasionally happens with credit card applications — Capitol One offered a Canadian dog that had been dead for over 10 years a $30,000 line of credit.

Romney Cries Fraud On Virginia Voter Registration Campaign | TPMMuckraker
When our kids were underage and living with us, we did get stuff like that in their names from marketers. One realtor got it in her head (I think) that my daughter's name (I'll call her "Tonya") was actually my name and we'd get mail addressed to "Joe" (DH) and Tonya from her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Almost every action in the US requires ID. It's ridiculous to consider that voting shouldn't require ID.

Heck, I had to show ID to get a library card when I moved last summer to a new city.
Had to show an ID to get the utility bill switched over.
Had to show an ID to open bank accounts.
Had to show an ID for my cell phone contract.

I just don't see how anyone can exist for all these years with NO ID and be able to survive.
What kind of ID did you have to show to get a library card? In my town, a free library card is for residents only; they will take just about anything with your name and a local address, e.g. utility bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
They probably were not informed of your fathers demise. At one time or another he was probably a member in good standing of the NRA and they are trying to get those people out to vote.........I am sure that if you notify them, you will cease getting voter registration forms for him.
Well, I interpreted Christine's post to be a bit of sarcasm, but it happens. I've never received any voter registration stuff for my deceased parents, but we do get "Home Depot" coupons for my father on occasion, and he never even lived with us! My mom did live with us, and occasionally we get stuff for her, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies