Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 02:09 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
But here is the thing...

Should people have enough income to have basic shelter (I'd say a small studio aparment) and healthy food and clean water and other living requirements for one person in exchange for full time of labor?

Or is the labor of the people worth less than that?
Of course people's lives or worth enough for all that. Any thing less and you are pretty much bring back slavery because that was the idea of slavery that these peoples lives were not worth much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
Quote:
But here is the thing...

Should people have enough income to have basic shelter (I'd say a small studio aparment) and healthy food and clean water and other living requirements for one person in exchange for full time of labor?

Or is the labor of the people worth less than that?

I would say they should.

Someone doing a 40hr week in a developed country even at min. wage should at least have these things:

1. A basic single room
2. Enough basic food
3. Basic utilities (including public transport to work costs)
4. Basic health service/coverage

agree/disagree?

and if you can't have these things, then why bother working?

Old 07-29-2012, 02:24 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I would say they should.

Someone doing a 40hr week in a developed country even at min. wage should at least have these things:

1. A basic single room
2. Enough basic food

agree/disagree?

If its worth hiring someone to do a job, its worth paying them a livable wage.

You're missing disposable income. Doesn't necessarily have to be much, but enough to be able to better ones self. Developing new skills costs money.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:29 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
I would say they should.

1. A basic single room
2. Enough basic food

agree/disagree?

To stay alive long enough so they or their children could one day enjoy those four things. It's a struggle that many people across the planet have went and are currently going through.

Of course, from what I have seen, some people have no problems with putting those people through that struggle in the pursuit of profit.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
true, and this is why I said 'developed countries' - because in many parts of the world a full time job does not equal a full belly!

But do we really want to use that as a yardstick? - I should hope not.

When there is enough wealth in a country for this to be possible, then it is a disgrace if a full time worker cannot have these 4 basic items.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
I would say they should.

1. A basic single room
2. Enough basic food

agree/disagree?

People in our country can have all those things working full time at minimum wage.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:47 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
People in our country can have all those things working full time at minimum wage.
Well that's what I thought too, actually.

But there are people on this board who have wished to get rid of the minimum wage.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Well that's what I thought too, actually.

But there are people on this board who have wished to get rid of the minimum wage.
I ran $7.25 per hour through a payroll calculator at Paycheck Calculators | Online Payroll Calculators | Paycheck City and came up with $1000 per month after all taxes including my city's earnings tax deduction, and $1100 per month if the person claims themself, which should be fine if they're making little money all year. With the earned income tax credit, they'll get back something anyway. So $1100 to live on per month plus a bonus at the end of the year for big purchases or saving.

So, $400 per month for a cheap studio (or even 1-bedroom), many places have utilities paid, but let's add $50 for a small apartment. That's $450. Bus pass $50. Cellphone $50. That's $550. Groceries $200. That's $750. Throw in $50 for miscellaneous expenses. If they don't buy health insurance, it looks like they could have $300 per month in disposable income. Not too shabby. Of course, a health insurance premium would live them with little left, maybe $100, but even that's enough to eat out twice a week at an average bill of $12.50. Honestly though, I think one can skirt by without it. There are a lot of services available to the poor, both public and charity. So ultimately up to $300 per month can be saved up over a year and that's enough money to go on two vacations out of the country! More than that within. Retirement? Hopefully SS will be around for them, but a small contribution, especially if the employer matches, in some sort of private retirement plan would be wise.

Oh, the horror! People just aren't discliplined or smart about anything, and they can't have everything they want.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 AM

^Imagine a couple both working full time at minimum wage! If they stuck to the above budget, they would easily have another $1100 per month to do whatever the hell they want with. THAT is a lot of disposable income. Of course, they would likely have a car, and one more expensive than necessary, and expensive cellphones with plans over $100 per month, etc. etc.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:22 AM

So if the minimum wage does indeed end up going up to $9.80, you can add another $200 to each person's paycheck in this scenario, potentially allowing a couple to have $1500 per month in disposable income! I'm amazed, actually. But these are realistic scenarios for people who make it happen.

It's sick to think about how much middle-class people waste, being so easy with money. Easy come, easy go. Why buy a $180K house when $100K will do, etc. Why have a $100 per month cell plan when $50 will do? Why buy a $30K car when $15K will do. Cable packages rarely used? Ordering softdrinks at restaurants? Paying retail instead of finding/waiting on sales? Etc. Etc. We're a rich country, people should wake up and realize that and make better choices. This extends into the worst offenses of tearing out perfectly good cabinets, countertops, etc. etc. and replacing them completely. Buying a new car for the sake of it being new. So much waste, so much greed, and we don't even realize it.

Last edited by MOKAN; 07-29-2012 at 03:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies