Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM

45,617 posts, read 27,240,441 times

Advertisements

If you believe the profits should be shared because taxpayers paid for roads, bridges, etc. - if the businesses lose money - should the taxpayers help and share the business losses since you are claiming some responsibility?

You guys want it both ways. You want to claim the profits because you are envious of the successful. But if the business loses money, then the owner is on his own. No one wants any part of his failure.

If you want to claim collectivism for the profits - claim it for the losses also and pay up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,149,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If you believe the profits should be shared because taxpayers paid for roads, bridges, etc. - if the businesses lose money - should the taxpayers help and share the business losses since you are claiming some responsibility?
No one is asking companies to share there profits. Perhaps you'll spend less time being exasperated if you spend more time seeing what those who have a different political position than you are saying. What people are asking for is that companies pay their fair share of taxes and that loopholes be closed that allow companies like GE to pay close to zero.

Quote:
You guys want it both ways. You want to claim the profits because you are envious of the successful. But if the business loses money, then the owner is on his own. No one wants any part of his failure.

If you want to claim collectivism for the profits - claim it for the losses also and pay up.
No, no one is "claiming" the profits of other companies. And we pay for the companies losses in many ways-- tax revenue (personal and corporate), unemployment benefits, welfare, etc. So in many ways the losses are already socialized.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
No one is asking companies to share there profits. Perhaps you'll spend less time being exasperated if you spend more time seeing what those who have a different political position than you are saying. What people are asking for is that companies pay their fair share of taxes and that loopholes be closed that allow companies like GE to pay close to zero.
No one mentioned fair share of taxes with regards to what Obama said last week. This is about sharing the profits of private business. Or at least having a crazy reason to steal the profit from the business owners.

Quote:
No, no one is "claiming" the profits of other companies. And we pay for the companies losses in many ways-- tax revenue (personal and corporate), unemployment benefits, welfare, etc. So in many ways the losses are already socialized.
That tax revenue does not go to business owners who lose money. Unemployment goes to un-employees.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,943,306 times
Strange, I thought that business paid taxes and their employees who also pay taxes generated from their employer to pay for the infrastructure. ... I was unaware that the government paid for infrastructure without utilizing the tax revenue of businesses and employees of those buisnesses. How did the government do it without having any money of their own? That's incredible...

Old 07-26-2012, 11:26 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,865,878 times
Profits are racist.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:29 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,149,846 times
Quote:
No one mentioned fair share of taxes with regards to what Obama said last week. This is about sharing the profits of private business. Or at least having a crazy reason to steal the profit from the business owners.
Because anyone with an ounce of sense knows that, unless your just a seething complete anti-Obama buffoon, what he said last week was a misstatement. Additionally, what he said was EXACTLY about companies paying a fare share of taxes. NO ONE is saying that business should share profits. They should be taxed FAIRLY is the only point being made.

Quote:
That tax revenue does not go to business owners who lose money. Unemployment goes to un-employees.
I think you are having a comprehension problem. You were talking about socialization of business losses. I mentioned that when a business goes under the losses ARE widely socialized-- There is a loss of tax revenue from that business and its employees, unemployment must be paid (often long term), some of those employees who lost jobs will need public assistance... All of which are paid out of our taxes-- Hence they are socialized.

Good grief.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,092,812 times
Quote:
You seem to be confused between profit sharing and taxation.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,865,878 times
Quote:
Because anyone with an ounce of sense knows that, unless your just a seething complete anti-Obama buffoon, what he said last week was a misstatement. Additionally, what he said was EXACTLY about companies paying a fare share of taxes. NO ONE is saying that business should share profits. They should be taxed FAIRLY is the only point being made.
Define "fairly". Because by and large, businesses pay plenty in taxes. No anecdotes please.

Quote:
I think you are having a comprehension problem. You were talking about socialization of business losses. I mentioned that when a business goes under the losses ARE widely socialized-- There is a loss of tax revenue from that business and its employees, unemployment must be paid (often long term), some of those employees who lost jobs will need public assistance... All of which are paid out of our taxes-- Hence they are socialized.
You are way gone in liberal la la land to consider welfare socialization of losses. What a ridiculous notion.

If I can not or do not for whatever reason hire you (whether or not I hired you before is irrelevant), and you get on welfare, are my losses being socialized? Are my business losses socialized because I didn't make enough money to pay as much as I did last year in taxes?

I mean really, that's just insane.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You seem to be confused between profit sharing and taxation.
Explain please.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Strange, I thought that business paid taxes and their employees who also pay taxes generated from their employer to pay for the infrastructure. ... I was unaware that the government paid for infrastructure without utilizing the tax revenue of businesses and employees of those buisnesses. How did the government do it without having any money of their own? That's incredible...
You are right. There is a corporate tax in play that does exactly what Obama talks about. Yet he and many that follow him are OK trying to stake their claim to more of the profits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies