Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
you dont need permission,, it's illegal to drive above the posted speed limit.. it's one thing to go a little faster than the posted speed limit, and totally another thing if one is travelling at over a hundred mph
Depends.

If I were to *hypothetically* do 150mph with no one around on an open interstate, I'm much less of a threat that the tons and tons of cellphone addicts cruising around in heavy traffic.

P.S. You are also making teh defacto assumption taht all cars handle the same, brake the same and so forth. Trust me, they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
How many organs are usable after a 186 mph crash?
Bone marrow, perhaps?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Depends.

If I were to *hypothetically* do 150mph with no one around on an open interstate, I'm much less of a threat that the tons and tons of cellphone addicts cruising around in heavy traffic.

P.S. You are also making teh defacto assumption taht all cars handle the same, brake the same and so forth. Trust me, they don't.

a cell phone user could use that same excuse,, if they are on a highway with no one around..

Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
No!! We need organ donors...
Buit we should make them wear helmets to save the brain. On second thought; maybe not.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
How many organs are usable after a 186 mph crash?

i really don't know?? but this is what happend to princess diana's mecedes at an estimated speed of 60 to 93 mph...

and mercedes are well built cars

Published for the first time: Coroner releases amazing pictures of Diana in the car that took her to her death | Mail Online

Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Question. Why does any vehicle need to be able to go triple the highest speed limit in the US? Really? Most speed limits on highways are between 55 and 80 in some places. Why does my car need to go 150? 170 or higher?

Who can answer that?
A better question is, "Why do we limit ourselves to such low speeds?"

[what are we afraid of?]

Old 07-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
FWIW, the Big Four (Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha) agreed among themselves to stop competing on top speed once the 300 km/h mark was reached. I would have no issue with stricter licensing requirements for the big-displacement bikes - there are other people on the road who may not deserve preliminary deletion from the gene pool.
That actually sounds like a great idea, since most states already have several classifications for motorcycle licenses, although usually by displacement. Perhaps they could also add a hi-end category for anything over a certain horsepower rating (non-commerial cars & trucks, same thing). Better technology has steadily been increasing the horsepower of nearly all vehicles lately, and at some point, maybe folks need to be able to demonstrate their competence, reaction time, etc. with the very high-HP vehicles, which are steadily growing to be more powerful than the average race car was a few years ago!

BTW, one category I'd love to see with better licensing requirements, is RV's... especially when it comes to some geezer equipped with just a regular 'ol drivers license, piloting a 50,000+ lb. RV rig nearly as big as a semi!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:40 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
a cell phone user could use that same excuse,, if they are on a highway with no one around..
Except they don't wait until no one is around.

Tell me the last time you saw someone texting or talking on the cell phone?

How many times have you seen someone blow past you on a busy highway at 150mph?

See. Texting and talking is safe.....like drunk driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies