Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 03:16 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

It makes me want to check the calendar. I can't believe it's 2012 and we're actually talking about this. I hope the pastor has the guts to stand up and really address the bigots in his congregation.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:46 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,269 times
I think the belief that blacks are inferior still exists today,even though those who are educated know that is a fallacy--very false belief or not true. I think the people in the church were afraid that alot of black people would come to their church and bring things down. I think America needs to wake up and realize that not all blacks are alike, not all whites are alike, and not all Latinos are alike. It deals with class and education and upbringing. Just because a black family moves next door to you some might assume there goes the neighborhood. When in fact--that black husband may be a fine physician and the wife a PHD educated professor relocating to your neck of the woods. So the likely hood of undesirables in the neighborhood are slim.
On the other hand, you could have some whites move next to you, blonde hair blue eyes, and think you are okay--but after week one, you see clothes lines in the back yard, pickup trucks in the front yard, children running around barefoot and uncooth, 2 hard working white Americans who did not get to attend college due to having kids at an early age,or the wife didnt finish highschool and is working on her GED and recently applied for medicaid waiting for a response from the state, so they are struggling.

Both examples are very real scenarios of families I know, and yes it exists today. Blacks have to work 2-3 times as hard as whites to accomplish things. Most don't understand that type of pressure. I definitely respect blacks (and all races) that respect themselves. They are a very strong people and I dont think half of whites could endure the disdain that the black people have endured in America. I hope this wakes people up because racism still exists.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:28 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
What is really sad to me is that in researching my family roots in the South and going through old church records, I was struck by how many slaves and blacks attended church with whites. his was especially in the 1700's and 1800's up to around the 1840's. They went in and out of the churches, moving their "letters" and being kicked out for unsavory behavior or non attendance, same as the white folk. Now, don't get me wrong, the majority of the congregation was white but there was a good representation of black folk. It was interesting, enlightening and uplifting for me.

What has happened with this couple is sad. I need to read the whole thread. Were they members of the congregation or did they just ask to use the church to be married there ?

Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oduval00 View Post
Who cares? They can do whatever they want. They will have to answer to God. And yes, I am black and telling you this. People make a big freakin deal out of everything these days. It truly boggles my mind how childish Americans have become. Okay so what - some racist people said you can't have a wedding at their church - And?? What you are going to do about it? Get over it and go to another church. End of story.
thank you. My philosophy, as well. I am passionate about some things and will fight for it but, this, it wouldn't be one of my picks for a fight because there are too many other places to get married in.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:44 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
This is unfortunate. I have heard of churches not allowing weddings of non-members in the sanctuary (which is fine, IMO - have it somewhere else and HIRE the pastor), but to actually give a racist reason... that is reprehensible.

The couple were members. The man for about a month, the woman over a year. Her father attends the church, her uncle is a custodian at the church.

I know this is not an acceptable "Baptist thing" and now that it has received media attention, I'm sure the Baptist elders will get involved.

As to the pastor "appeasing his own guilty conscience"... you do know the church "belongs" to the congregation right, not the pastor? It's not "his" church - it's theirs. And the board does have the ability to fire him for going against their wishes.

True. However I think it really changes things when people are aware the couple were both members of the church.

In addition, why would he, knowing how the congregation felt, have the wedding at a location that would've been easy to sabotage for this couple? I think he did the right thing by performing the service elsewhere, and hope he's put in for a transfer and an official reprimand of some type for that congregation.

If this couple was not welcome in this church, it's unlikely Jesus is welcome either.

No, they are welcome to worship there, just not get married. That is what really gets me..

It's an amazing story.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:06 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
That is a sad article. But having lived in NC, I believe it. Lots of racial hostility going both ways. Obviously, the members of that church don't understand, "Love your neighbor as yourself"

Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 PM

17 posts, read 29,046 times
That's screwed up that they were regulars at the church too. Now they gotta deal with realizing people were smiling in there face and shaking there hands while hating them.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:27 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
thank you. My philosophy, as well. I am passionate about some things and will fight for it but, this, it wouldn't be one of my picks for a fight because there are too many other places to get married in.
It would be a fight I would pick because this is about right and wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies