Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The fact that some people own a firearm that uses 30 round clips is not a compelling reason to allow them. I didn't ignore the post, I simply didn't find it compelling.
That's because you're ignorant regarding the topic at hand. This is not a slam. We're all ignorant, just on different topics. For example, I freely admit that I don't know jack about global warming, so I'm not out there crusading for or against it. Why would you want to argue against 10 round mags when you don't even know what they are properly callled? It's magazine, not 'clip.' A clip is a feed device lacking a spring, for example as used with the M1 Garand rifle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 PM

A clip is not a magazine, a mag is not a clip;
Neither is a grip a stock, and "stock" does not mean grip.
I do not mean to nitpick, but improvement could be seen,
If we could bring ourselves to say exactly what we mean.

- Author identified by Mark Moritz as Jeff Cooper

Old 07-27-2012, 06:28 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
A clip is not a magazine, a mag is not a clip;
Neither is a grip a stock, and "stock" does not mean grip.
I do not mean to nitpick, but improvement could be seen,
If we could bring ourselves to say exactly what we mean.

- Author identified by Mark Moritz as Jeff Cooper
All true, but it is widely understood what a person is talking about. Example I dropped my clip on the ground. Any shooter or non shooter would understand that the individual was discussing a magazine.
Example. I blew the motor on my car.
A motor is electric.
An engine is combustion or steam using compression to create power.
Everyone will assume that by motor I meant engine.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:28 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Life long gun owner and former competition shooter..
Why is 10 round mags not enough if the purpose is for plinking?
My 1911 has up to 8 and I have never felt it wasn't enough.
Now common sense.
10 round mags will still lay a hurting on a crowd of people. 20 rounds less hurting than a 30 round mag would do.
If its for home defence.
blazing 30 rounds in your house??????????
I dont see what the big deal is. But then I had no issue with the waiting period either.
The second amendment is not merely about plinking or home protection.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:33 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,716,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I have to assume that Republicans believe that gun massacres are just part of American culture, and should be accepted as normal.
I have to assume that Liberals are not wanting cyber-security and completely ignorant of the fact that gun laws simply increase violent crimes in ever place in the USA where they have been implemented.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:35 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Just wondering... When does anyone require more then a 10 round clip for a legal and necessary use of firearms?
That is just a toe in the door so to speak!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The second amendment is not merely about plinking or home protection.
That is understood. I personally don't feel that a 10 round mag undermines the 2nd.
Personally I think when people order 1000's of rounds at one time that a check should be done.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:40 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
That is understood. I personally don't feel that a 10 round mag undermines the 2nd.
Personally I think when people order 1000's of rounds at one time that a check should be done.
The 12 round mags in my makarov aren't going to make me go out and massacre people. It's an invasion of privacy for the government to investigate me for buying ammo.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Didn't take long did it.

"Democratic senators have offered an amendment to the cybersecurity bill that would limit the purchase of high capacity gun magazines for some consumers.
Shortly after the Cybersecurity Act gained Senate approval to proceed to filing proposed amendments and a vote next week, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), a sponsor of the gun control amendment, came to the floor to defend the idea of implementing some “reasonable” gun control measures.

The amendment was sponsored by Democratic Sens. Frank Lautenberg (N.J.), Barbara Boxer (Calif.), Jack Reed (R.I.), Bob Menendez (N.J.), Kirsten Gillibrand (N.Y.), Schumer and Dianne Feinstein (Calif.). S.A. 2575 would make it illegal to transfer or possess large capacity feeding devices such as gun magazines, belts, feed stripes and drums of more than 10 rounds of ammunition with the exception of .22 caliber rim fire ammunition."

Democratic senators offer gun control amendment for cybersecurity bill - The Hill's Video
It's high time that everyone of these senators is arrested for high crimes of Treason! These are the enemy and they are the enemy with in... This is all delt with in the Declaration of Independance, and why we have the 2nd and why we own modern up todate weapons.

These democrates think the 2nd is about hunting, and little do they know that they themselves are a part of the Militia. All they want is whine and a free ride.....

How do "We the People" go about having these senators arrested and tried for Treason?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
All true, but it is widely understood what a person is talking about. Example I dropped my clip on the ground. Any shooter or non shooter would understand that the individual was discussing a magazine.
Example. I blew the motor on my car.
A motor is electric.
An engine is combustion or steam using compression to create power.
Everyone will assume that by motor I meant engine.

Very true, but beside the point. If you tell me you dropped your clip or blew your motor, I'll know what you mean and wouldn't bother to correct you. But if you want to argue for legislation limiting engine displacement or magazine capacity, you should be knowledgable about the topic at hand at least to the point where you use the right terminology. Knowledgable people on any topic tend to like to use the right terms, and using the wrong term is often evidence of lack of knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies