Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:48 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Who is responsible for paying your personal medical bills if you're a surviving victim of the mass shooting in Aurora, CO and are uninsured?

For all of you who make the "Take Responsibility for yourself argument" should you have 150K saved up in case you are victimized by a lunatic gunman at a movie theater? The perpetrator has no money and will spend the rest of his life in jail.

Who pays the bills?

If only there was a way to make sure everyone was insured against this type of thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Since it seems alot of $$ are being raised for these folks, it is Americans donating in the American way to cover them.

There is no excuse to not have some form of health insurance if you're working with enough income to get an IPHONE 4S.

A good policy for someone in their 20ies runs around 90-150 per month. About the cost of a phone bill.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Since it seems alot of $$ are being raised for these folks, it is Americans donating in the American way to cover them.

There is no excuse to not have some form of health insurance if you're working with enough income to get an IPHONE 4S.

A good policy for someone in their 20ies runs around 90-150 per month. About the cost of a phone bill.
I'm 38 and a colon cancer survivor. I am lucky and Connecticut has a plan for pre-existing conditions. What should people in my situation do?

So, in your opinion, the best system is to take donations after a tragedy to cover medical expenses? You don't see any problem with that? There are loads of people who aren't working, have low incomes. What do they do if they are victimized?

I don't think you have much of a plan here...

Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:

Thats crap. I remember trying to get Blue Cross Blue Shield when I was 19 years old. My bill was over 200 bucks a month and the only thing I had on my health record was some depression medications that I took when I was 12 or something. Try paying that when you are in college and don't have mom and dad helping you out.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:58 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
Once again we have to with all blasting those who have little or nothing. We live in America and this country ranks 37th in healthcare for it's citizens with a third world country providing better care. This is an absolute disgrace. However, we have big insurance companies donating millions to candidates to ensure that their reign will continue. These companies can pick and choose their clients and can decline an active client if that person contracts a debilitating malady.

One example of a real American is a young single mother working at a Dollar General I recently met. She was working three part time jobs trying to make ends meet. She had no medical insurance because she simply could not afford it. The part many folks don't get is when an individual is trying and brings home $300 a week. They live with basic needs only and after paying costs do not have a dime left over. If medical insurance was available for a $1 a week it would still be too much.

To answer the OP's question; it is up to the injured individual to pay their respective medical bills. In this case these bills will run into the hundreds of thousand dollars. There may even be some who will be disabled for the rest of their lives. We live in a capitalistic system that says, too bad. Many will be indebted for the rest of their lives and some will lose their homes, credit rating, and may not even be able to get a good job in the future.

This is one example of why America needs a national healthcare plan.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM

1,403 posts, read 936,943 times
Beats me. I don't care either. I get screwed every day I don't get special handouts like free housing and other bs so the hospital can bill me all they want they ain't seeing a dime let the government throw some money to them hell they steal enough of my taxes on everything else it should cover it.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:04 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:

Unless, of course, they had asthma as a child, have PCOS, are overweight, have been to a psychiatrist, or have a history of cancer. Then they are lucky to get health insurance at all.

I was denied by most insurers when I was 22 and looking because I'm overweight, have PCOS, and had a history of autoimmune issues for the last 5 years that I would find out a few months later were symptoms of cancer. One company quoted me $600 a month for catastrophic coverage with a $5000 deductible. At 22. And that could have been pulled upon diagnosis with cancer because I had recorded missed symptoms of it for years.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
Beats me. I don't care either. I get screwed every day I don't get special handouts like free housing and other bs so the hospital can bill me all they want they ain't seeing a dime let the government throw some money to them hell they steal enough of my taxes on everything else it should cover it.
Maybe others would prefer that everyone not have the same miserable experience you do of "getting screwed every day." Maybe others do care?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:15 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,162,816 times
Quote:

My phone bill is abou $35 a month. I wish my insurance cost that much, not to mention the huge deductibles people have.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Who is responsible for paying your personal medical bills if you're a surviving victim of the mass shooting in Aurora, CO and are uninsured?

For all of you who make the "Take Responsibility for yourself argument" should you have 150K saved up in case you are victimized by a lunatic gunman at a movie theater? The perpetrator has no money and will spend the rest of his life in jail.

Who pays the bills?

If only there was a way to make sure everyone was insured against this type of thing...
Make payment arrangements like any other medical attention would require.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies