Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So much anti-Americanism on this thread...
So in your view, extolling the contributions of other countries equates to Anti-Americanism.

Sad. Very Sad.

There's a big world out there. We can't all just sit in our own little holes counting our fingers & toes. The World is a COMMUNITY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
So in your view, extolling the contributions of other countries equates to Anti-Americanism.

Sad. Very Sad.

There's a big world out there. We can't all just sit in our own little holes counting our fingers & toes. The World is a COMMUNITY!

This

Actually while ineed it is a big world the world is getting smaller in respect of it becoming one financial community. We have seen the last of the days where one country's economy can be totally independant of the rest of the worlds.

The fallacy of superior systems lasting into centuries has now come to be a reality as what was a workable or laudable concept yesterday becomes unworkable and untenable today.

It might even be hypothesized (I have not done an in-depth world wide cost comparison of prescription meds) that the major drug companies are piling it onto Americans as they're the largest population not regulating costs to some degree. Unfair probably, but the rules of old aren't applicable anymore.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:22 AM

441 posts, read 501,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I am an American. I can be proud of my country as well while giving proper respect and gratitude to other countries and other peoples. The US is not the end-all, be-all, center-of-the-universe so many dullards across this country would have us believe.

The difference between the "Amurrka Iz Number One!!" crowd's attitude and mine is that mine is not insular, bumper-sticker propaganda borne of ignorance and insecurity.

London showcased but a fraction of their achievements in the Opening Ceremony. Hats off to them.
I am an American too! So being accused of anti-Americanism by (may we surmise? some guy who doesn't have a job - and so doesn't pay any income taxes - and lives in his Mom's basement - total knowledge of the world comes from his ability to Google - and who has never been outside the States in his whole life) is hysterical.

Reading this Forum is downright spooky. Are so many of our fellow Americans really that dumb? I guess somebody voted for Dubya.. It is true, the American media is to blame: whenever I'm in the States, none of the TV news channels give any news about the rest of the world (well, they do report on the various wars). Americans who don't travel (and I guess that's a lot of them) have no idea that Europe is not teetering on the brink of chaos!! ROTFLMAO!

My husband and I were planning on returning to the States next year to retire - provided our private, European health-care insurance gives us the OK that they'll continue to reimburse us for the overinflated US prices of health-care. Reading this Forum - I'm kind of worried I will be moving to a country teetering on the brink of chaos, everybody toting an AK-47 just like a Mad Max movie.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
You don't seem to appreciate what Americans did for Europe during World War II.
..and you don't appreciate what Britain did for America by colonizing it...

Health insurance: let me guess: you don't have a job, don't pay any income tax, don't have any health insurance and when you get sick, you go to the ER, give a fake name and stiff the hospital.. am I right?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:39 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Default Socialized Medicine Promoted At Opening Of Olympics

Socialized Medicine Promoted At Opening Of Olympics : Freedom Outpost

I was at a restaurant watching it on TV and could not hear much of it. The nurses dancing was creepy. I thought it was a big Mary Poppins thing. ????

Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Socialized Medicine Promoted At Opening Of Olympics : Freedom Outpost

I was at a restaurant watching it on TV and could not hear much of it. The nurses dancing was creepy. I thought it was a big Mary Poppins thing. ????
Hey, Janelle, you're late to the show here. The dancing nurses in the "Second to the right, and straight on till morning" segment linked British authors' predominant contribution to the world's literature for children (Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, J.K. Rowling, etc., etc.) to healthcare for children. J.M. Barrie left the rights to "Peter Pan" to the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children. Every time Disney (or anyone else) films "Peter Pan" (or any derivative thereof).. G.O.S.H.'s cash registers go "ka-ching!"

From this thread, I deduce that Americans do not understand what is going on in the world today. They ignore the fact that children in developing countries die because they receive no healthcare. It is a worldwide issue and one the Brits have solved successfully. They are very proud of that.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:50 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
Regarding the American taxpayer bailout money given to your banks...your welcome.
Could you please link your source for the information that you have just imparted as i'm unable to find evidence of it. Thank You.

Also i'm welcome to what exactly? Oh the amusement you've given me! I'm delighted to see that your enjoying entertaining me, but it's ok, no need to feel beholden.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:05 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
I know I'm just a dumb conservative that can never reach the lofty heights of intelligence as you radiant liberals but I DO know that "Internet" is spelled with a capital "I".
The word 'internet' needs only to be spelled with a capital 'I' if the word is being used as a noun. Otherwise a lower case 'i' is perfectly acceptable.

For example:

"the Internet" (noun) indicating a definite article.
"an internet" indicating a reference to internet's in general.

I hope that's helped.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You want them to be ashamed of providing basic healthcare to all citizens???? Others would call that an act of compassion and humanity.
By stealing my money and driving up costs??? By forcing me to take something I do not want through force and coercion???? Yea that's a real compassionate and humanitarian government.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
By stealing my money and driving up costs??? By forcing me to take something I do not want through force and coercion???? Yea that's a real compassionate and humanitarian government.
Why don't you want healthcare? Do you never intend to get sick? Do you never intend to get a catastrophic illness that will reduce you to the most abject poverty? Do you never intend to die, leaving monstrous medical bills behind as your legacy to your children (if you have any)? Do you intend to always have employer-paid health insurance and to never get fired from your job?

Good luck, my fellow Texan. Your attitude, to quote Samuel Johnson (in relation to another topic), is the triumph of hope over experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies